Please help louver problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Please help louver problem

I just recently installed MMD quarter window louvers for my mustang and they look great; however, one of the louvers is already starting to come off! I was meticulous with the installation and I am worried it might fly off and there goes 200 dollars. Is there anything I can do? Maybe put an adhesive substance between the crevice? PLEASE HELP
NelsonQuezadaJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1265306159.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	96080  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
What tape did it come with. If it didn't come with 3M that's probably the issue. I put Xenon scoops on my 98 an the tape they sent with it was crap. I had one come loose. I went an bought 3M tape and re did both scoops never had one come loose again.
03RedfireGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Was it "COLD OUT" when you installed them???

I see you live in Nevada so I'm wondering if it was a cold day when you put your louvers on. If so, they won't stick.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would say the best thing to do is take it off and redo it. You should be able to buy some more 3m tape at a store near you. And make sure the weather is good, car is clean an dry and no rain for the next few days. If its not 3m tape tho you might have the same problem again
Old 03-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedfireGt View Post
What tape did it come with. If it didn't come with 3M that's probably the issue. I put Xenon scoops on my 98 an the tape they sent with it was crap. I had one come loose. I went an bought 3M tape and re did both scoops never had one come loose again.
It came with the standard 3M and adhesion promoter.

---------- Post added at 05:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I see you live in Nevada so I'm wondering if it was a cold day when you put your louvers on. If so, they won't stick.
Ronnie
I live in Las Vegas, it was chillier than a standard Vegas day but I applied the strips in my garage.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It needs to be at 70 or above to stick

The temperature should be at least 70 or higher when sticking this stuff on. I find that when the car or any object is to cold the tape just won't stay stuck. It also takes at least 24 hours to let the adhesive cure.

You can try to put the car back in your garage and heat up the louver with a hair dryer and push tite and hold it for about ten or fifteen min. Then don't drive the car for a long time and that may let the louver stick.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all of the tips guys; I called American muscle and they are sending me a new kit. They are the best, they even offered to send me new louvers aha.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonQuezadaJr View Post
Thanks for all of the tips guys; I called American muscle and they are sending me a new kit. They are the best, they even offered to send me new louvers aha.
Good to hear you're being taken care of! When you install the new kit, make sure it's at least 70* out. That will help insure the new 3M tape seals properly to the glass.

Give me a shout if you need any additional assistance!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

One more thing, when applying the adhesion promoter, do I let it dry or stay wet before applying the tape?
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The temperature should be at least 70 or higher when sticking this stuff on. I find that when the car or any object is to cold the tape just won't stay stuck. It also takes at least 24 hours to let the adhesive cure.

You can try to put the car back in your garage and heat up the louver with a hair dryer and push tite and hold it for about ten or fifteen min. Then don't drive the car for a long time and that may let the louver stick.

Ronnie
+1

in addition to that, you could use some duct tape to keep it securely in place while it's drying
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonQuezadaJr View Post
One more thing, when applying the adhesion promoter, do I let it dry or stay wet before applying the tape?
Let the adhesion promoter dry completely before applying the 3M tape. You need to have a perfectly clean and dry surface that's up to the correct temperature, in order to get the best results.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
After reading this the questions asked sure did help me for when I wanna buy my louvers for my stang. And seeing your stang there Nelson made me know for sure which louvers I want. Because I have a silver mustang as well. And the MMD quarter look really good on your stang. I was torn between those and the Eleanor.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
When I put my louvers on, I read several reviews saying the small 3M tape that came with the louvers was not wide enough. I went to my local Carquest and bought some tape that was more heavy duty. It was a wider tape. I think it'll take dynamite! Lol
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMade View Post
After reading this the questions asked sure did help me for when I wanna buy my louvers for my stang. And seeing your stang there Nelson made me know for sure which louvers I want. Because I have a silver mustang as well. And the MMD quarter look really good on your stang. I was torn between those and the Eleanor.
I was torn between the Eleanor's and the ones I got as well Robbie; however, I believe I made the right choice! They look fantastic.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
When I put my louvers on, I read several reviews saying the small 3M tape that came with the louvers was not wide enough. I went to my local Carquest and bought some tape that was more heavy duty. It was a wider tape. I think it'll take dynamite! Lol
Do you know what kind of tape or the brand was called?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
It was a 3M tape that I used, it was just wider and a lot better. If I'm not mistaken I read the reviews that said it in AM. I'm not home to look but I'm thinking it was 3/8. It comes in a roll you can cut and place on yourself. I just left small gaps in the tape to let any water drain through but I covered everything else.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes they do bro. I can't wait to get mine.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang