DRL DISABLE?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
DRL DISABLE??

Is it just my 2012 ford mustang premium edition that runs the head lights on when the car is on drive ??? HOW DO I DISABLE THAT ??
Fordboi2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi2012 View Post
Is it just my 2012 ford mustang premium edition that runs the head lights on when the car is on drive ??? HOW DO I DISABLE THAT ??
Dealer. Or rip the headlights out.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I tried the dealer and they dont know what it is ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You could always unplug the factory harness, power it by a new harness and relay which hooks to the factory power switch and uses it for a trigger on the relay. That'd disable your auto-lights though. It would be a quick, safe method.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Maybe it's as simple as changing your headlight switch from Auto to Off? I just tried my 2013 in the garage. With the garage lights off, I couldn't see anything from the headlights. I had the autolamp switch off, and I had the car in first gear. Haven't tried it see if they turn on when the car is rolling.

Forgive my ignorance if this works differently on the 2012's vs the 2013's!

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Some Mustangs are special ordered with DRL lights (Canadian '10-12 models are a good example) and it's a real DRL and totally separate from the auto headlights.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well bad thing about that is that my car is a automatic not manual .. So yup .. And where can i get that harness switch to trigger the drl lifhts i have now !?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Well bad thing about that is that my car is a automatic not manual .. So yup .. And where can i get that harness switch to trigger the drl lifhts i have now !?
If you have a Canadian car, then you could check with your Ford parts department and see about getting a U.S. harness setup. I'll guess they are different, as I don't have the problem you are describing. There could be a relay involved as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well i live in texas so i dont think i have a canadian car but i think my best possible thing to do is go to a ford dealership that i havent been to and ask them this ... This F*ckin weird that they never turn only when the car is on PARKED
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraneGuy View Post
Maybe it's as simple as changing your headlight switch from Auto to Off? I just tried my 2013 in the garage. With the garage lights off, I couldn't see anything from the headlights. I had the autolamp switch off, and I had the car in first gear. Haven't tried it see if they turn on when the car is rolling.

Forgive my ignorance if this works differently on the 2012's vs the 2013's!
-_- not auto lights. Drl is a half voltage light in any gear but park even with the lights in the O position

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
If you have a Canadian car, then you could check with your Ford parts department and see about getting a U.S. harness setup. I'll guess they are different, as I don't have the problem you are describing. There could be a relay involved as well.
It's software. Not hardware.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So you think its a software problem @white lightning
Old 03-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So you think its a software problem @white lightning
I've crawled the Internet and here. It used to be a fuse but in the 2011 model its in one of the many computers. I suspect the SJB because AM sells a parking light DRL wiring mod that wires into the SJB. But they can hook the computer into the port under the steering wheel.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt believe this would be so much work for the lights lol i am just thinking of staying with the factory lights !!!! Lol .. Unless i find the right way to do it ... So what happens if i buy the raxiom halo projectors from AM ? Would they be on all day when i drive huh
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
there should be a procedure to turn them off, on my wife's old car you would hold the e brake in one click or something and what not it would flip them off
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

And what kind of car was that inspector ???
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didnt believe this would be so much work for the lights lol i am just thinking of staying with the factory lights !!!! Lol .. Unless i find the right way to do it ... So what happens if i buy the raxiom halo projectors from AM ? Would they be on all day when i drive huh
Nope. They flicker or won't work at all. It's all or no current. And on standby they run at 6watts.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
there should be a procedure to turn them off, on my wife's old car you would hold the e brake in one click or something and what not it would flip them off
Doesn't work. Plus it'll wear down the e brake.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
-_- not auto lights. Drl is a half voltage light in any gear but park even with the lights in the O position

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

It's software. Not hardware.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I tried it in a darkened garage because it's impossible to put the car in gear, then get out to look at the headlights. I couldn't see any tell-tale glow on the front wall of the garage. Even at half voltage, I figure I would have seen a little light reflected off the wall if DRLs were on. If they are on, they must be super dim.

Sounds like I was barking up the wrong tree anyway! Good luck to the OP- sounds like a bear to turn them off.

"The Devil is in the details, but so is salvation." - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover
CraneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Haha naw its cool man ... But **** i cant be the only with this problem ???? I just added the smoked headlight covers and tail lights and i dont want them on all the time

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-681123311.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	96921
Old 03-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If u pull the e brake up on the 13's they turn off. Most likely a switch inside. Prob can wire it so that it thinks the ebrake is up... I would start there.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If i do that would it mest up my e brake for having it up while driving ???
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Dont drive with the ebrake up. I would suggest taking the console apart and seeing if their is a switch or wiring harness that you can jump to make.it think the ebrake is up so it turns off the drl's. U might be able to wire in a switch that u can toggle like an open / close circuit.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Ummm i see well i dont know nothing about doing any wiring in the mustangs ... So i guess i am stuck with the problem still ..
Old 03-19-2013, 04:46 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Ummm i see well i dont know nothing about doing any wiring in the mustangs ... So i guess i am stuck with the problem still ..
If there is a switch on the e-brake that disables the DRL's while the e-brake is up, it should be as easy as installing a simple jumper wire between the two wires that connect to the switch! It doesn't get any easier then that for wiring!

Most software type programs rely on sensors for input, so I figured there would be a relay or switch that would disable this.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
If u pull the e brake up on the 13's they turn off. Most likely a switch inside. Prob can wire it so that it thinks the ebrake is up... I would start there.
Why jimmy rig and butcher up a new car? To me, that's just stupid. And everyone is all about a warranty, that'll definitely void it.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Naw i am not going to ghetto rig with this new car but i am driving right now with the just parked. Lights on switch and they are in a low beam and well my fogs are on also ...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Naw i am not going to ghetto rig with this new car but i am driving right now with the just parked. Lights on switch and they are in a low beam and well my fogs are on also ...
Why are your fogs on too? I have my GT fogs off and my switch is on O so just my regular lights are on. Sometimes I don't even turn on the headlights, its enough light in the evening. But man just parking lights looks cool to me in the morning and evenings before dark
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You can modify things in a way to make it completely reversible. However, activating the parking brake switch means your park brake warning will always be on in the instrument cluster. That would drive me nuts.

You can also by pass the factory harness with your own, an "add a circuit" in the fuse box, some relays and a couple wire splicers that are 100% reversible. You'll have to figure out how to wire it though. I can't draw wiring diagrams for crap, I can just read them lol

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Whitelightning naw my fogs are on if i turn them on i have the ability to turn them on or off when i want .... But the normal lights i cant they are always on .... Once i put the gear to drive they turn on but i have noticed that when the car is on drive but my light switch is on off of park lights the taillights are off and only turn on when u brake but the headlights ALWAYS ON. AND I HATE IT .. i cant enjoy my smoked headlight look during the day
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
So what is the big deal about having your lights on all the time? It might just help with some D*mb *ss actually see you before pulling out in front of you. It could save you from being more broken up than your car. That would be a good thing.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
So what is the big deal about having your lights on all the time? It might just help with some D*mb *ss actually see you before pulling out in front of you. It could save you from being more broken up than your car. That would be a good thing.
Because for me, I have $60 bulbs to help see the side of the road for deer. In my case. These bulbs last only a year. See where I'm headed with this? As far as idiots, if they can't hear or see a white mustang coming, then something is wrong with them. Just .02. Plus I hate the look of it when it looks cleaner with them off
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Ever find away to fix this problem?
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just throw some hids in them and keep them on full blast all the time that way it doesn't look like half lit yellow lights haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #33

Region: Iowa
Quote:
Well i live in texas so i dont think i have a canadian car but i think my best possible thing to do is go to a ford dealership that i havent been to and ask them this ... This F*ckin weird that they never turn only when the car is on PARKED
i have the same issue, did you figure anything out?
theredguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Well I had the dealership go and shut off my drls well when they went into the computer there was no option to shut them off. So that means I some how got a canadian mustang. So go to your dealership and if you have the option they will shut off if not then u have a canadian stang. The only other option now is to change the computer
RIstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstang View Post
Well I had the dealership go and shut off my drls well when they went into the computer there was no option to shut them off. So that means I some how got a canadian mustang. So go to your dealership and if you have the option they will shut off if not then u have a canadian stang. The only other option now is to change the computer
Mines made in Michigan. (They all are) mine was a rental x plan and had to have that due to not knowing where they were shipping them. Ford chewed me out for asking and so did my local dealership. But I haven't asked my dealership I bought it from

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang