k&n drop in filter. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
k&n drop in filter.

Just wondering if anyone has a drop in k&n and notices any performance gains and mpg increases?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
Just wondering if anyone has a drop in k&n and notices any performance gains and mpg increases?
There is definitely no performance gains. Maybe a very slight MPG increase.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The major gain is a reusable filter..
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
The major gain is a reusable filter..
+1
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Reusable filter yes, but on another forum, a dyno test actually saw a drop in HP and torque with the K&N drop in filter for a 5.0 GT. I was shocked, as I've been using K&N in my harley, as well as a 2005 F150.

I however cannot vouch for these results; only read the post.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Just droped one in 2 weeks ago. Didnt notice any gains or drops at all but about a mile to the gallon increase. Also a little better sounding intake.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I had one ( felt no difference at all )

It did make my car sound great when flooring it. I also picked up about 1MPG.

I now have An Airaid CAI and wish I did the Airaid first. I do notice better responsiveness and way better sound with this Airaid that the Drop in did not give.

I'm sure the K&N drop in will pick up smaller and more particles then the standard paper filter due to the sticky oil. It also allows better air flow.

They don't tell you in the installation instructions but I have read on a different forum that after putting in the K&N drop in that you really need to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes to reset the computer for the better airflow the drop in provides. I did not do this with the drop in but did when installing the Airaid. It does sound feasible to me.

I liked the K&N drop in but I LOVE my Airaid.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Read http://mymiata.paladinmicro.com/K&NComments.htm
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Holy Crap! I guess I should stay with my factory one. Thanks!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Good link.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You learn something new every day on this forum.

I just took out my K&N drop in filter when I installed the Airaid. I only bought the Airaid because I wanted the eye popping looks when I opened my hood. I did not really think there would be much difference. ( I was Wrong) With the Airaid the throttle response is much greater then when I had the K&N in the stock airbox. I'm learning now that the K&N drop in was no different then my standard Ford filter.

I love this forum because it gives you a lot of different opinions as well as some very good information on just about everything "MUSTANG"

Ronnie
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I won't disclaim nor argue a point with K&N filters, other than I have had one on a Harley for 146K miles now, and a K&N CAI on my 2005 F150. The first Harley engine got me to 121K; I transfered the K&N filter kit to the second engine, and is still working just fine. Never dyno'd the engine though.

Quite a bit of problems with K&N occur when folks over-oil them. Yes they need to be cleaned an re-oiled. If this is too difficult for some, they should stick with disposable paper type filters.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I 'had' to use a K&N drop in filter on my 2011. I ordered my 2011 in March 2010 and it arrived in May 2010. C&L was still working on a c.a.i. for the V-6, i bought one of the first ones they made . I also have one of the first tunes sold from Evolution Performance (Lund) made for our V6's.

It was so hard waiting for performance parts to be released when the new 3.7L first started being sold
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like I already said:

I said this
Quote:
I'm sure the K&N drop in will pick up smaller and more particles then the standard paper filter due to the sticky oil. It also allows better air flow.
I have been using K&N drop in filters on just about every car I have ever owned. ( A lot of them) I think they are really much better then the paper filters as far as keeping dirt out of your engine. I'm betting they will flow more air then a standard paper filter at the upper RPM's. In normal just plain around town driving I'm betting there would be no or not enough to count, Performance advantage over the stock paper air filter.

The second thing I did to my brand new Mustang was put in a K&N drop in filter. First was Magnaflow streets. I still say they are the best drop in air filters available.

Ronnie
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Nice shot of the Mustang at the Daytona Beach pedestrian walk over...you live in that area? That's about a 35 minute ride from me.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Bucko

Are you going to be at the Daytona Speedway car show this weekend ?
If so PM me.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang