Swapping cold air intakes. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you are trying to avoid the tune because of warranty concerns ... then put your worries aside.

We have been tuning for many many years and we have had 0 issues with our tune causing a failure on a customers engine. We do many hours and days or research and testing before we even introduce our tunes into the market.

We also work with Ford Motor Company and SCT in regards to the SEMA technolgy transfer program ... we have a lot of knowledge on these vehicles and engines.

We are currently running a promotion if you are interested in taking advantage of the sale:

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I was just curious how much of a necessity a tune is on a CAI, and if the intakes that don't require a tune do anything other than what you get from it not being a closed box.

Not a warranty thing. I've already accepted that's gone with the wind lol
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not a lot about 5-10 HP but I advise it makes a difference. A tune period is the best investment for pur sixxers
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

The Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air. Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
Well that doesn't make sense I really thought there was a size difference. Still makes power so oh well
The reason the steeda requires a tune is the intake diameter. It is the only Cai for our car that has a larger intake tube, that is why it requires a tune. It messes with the MAF sensor.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

And BTW TJ, I love my intake and recommend to everyone.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
The reason the steeda requires a tune is the intake diameter. It is the only Cai for our car that has a larger intake tube, that is why it requires a tune. It messes with the MAF sensor.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

And BTW TJ, I love my intake and recommend to everyone.
AFE requires a tune.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

AFE requires a tune.
Lol I've never herd of that intake. I still prefer my Steeda
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Afe is pretty good, I've only used it in trucks though
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

AFE requires a tune.
No they don't. It says yes and no on AM. I want one cause instead of whistling like a turbo, it roars. But it's like backwards. Idk how that'll look.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

No they don't. It says yes and no on AM. I want one cause instead of whistling like a turbo, it roars. But it's like backwards. Idk how that'll look.
You're the only person who plans on not turbo/supercharging, so this counts more for you
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

You can use the cold air filter on the motor for turbos and superchargers though
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=clamphier;1577952]You can use the cold air filter on the motor for turbos and superchargers though[/QUOTE

you could, but it's so minor in comparison to the supercharger/turbocharger.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I did it because it was bigger than the one they sent me. Procharger 3 inch inlet airraid was 4
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
It definitely does. The stock intake is in a box and a flat style filter so its about as restrictive as you can get and the intake tube is about an inch smaller. With an aftermarket intake you get a 3 inch inlet tube and a cone style filter with an open top so it sucks in more air. More air more power
I have an Airraid cold air intake and love it, I purchased it when Airrad was running a 50 dollar rebate last year and scooped that right up from American Muscle. I totally agree with the more air sucked in, the more power the engine can create. But there is also a key factory that some people overlook. You can suck in all the cold air into the engine but after it sucks, it has to be pushed out. If your rolling stock manifolds and cats then you ain't pushing ***** out faster no matter how much air your sucking in. To really get the full benefit of any CAI, you need a tune, headers and off road x pipe or at least a high flowing catted x pipe. In order to get the full true performance of the CAI you need a complete system. Tune, Headers, x pipe and free flowing exhaust system to push that air out faster.

It's no different an the larger throttle body for our sixers.. Sure it sucks more air in but the factory intake is not bigger so it ain't pushing more air down into the headers. Just my 2 cents.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
Steeda! Steeda! Steeda! +tune. Lol
+1000
rmlong06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I have an Airraid cold air intake and love it, I purchased it when Airrad was running a 50 dollar rebate last year and scooped that right up from American Muscle. I totally agree with the more air sucked in, the more power the engine can create. But there is also a key factory that some people overlook. You can suck in all the cold air into the engine but after it sucks, it has to be pushed out. If your rolling stock manifolds and cats then you ain't pushing ***** out faster no matter how much air your sucking in. To really get the full benefit of any CAI, you need a tune, headers and off road x pipe or at least a high flowing catted x pipe. In order to get the full true performance of the CAI you need a complete system. Tune, Headers, x pipe and free flowing exhaust system to push that air out faster.

It's no different an the larger throttle body for our sixers.. Sure it sucks more air in but the factory intake is not bigger so it ain't pushing more air down into the headers. Just my 2 cents.
So exhaust work first, intake system second. Tune somewhere in there and some gears. That's about all one can do as far as naturally aspirated
Old 03-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I did intake and tune then exhaust because that was a little more of an expense. But for best performance I'd do it all at once but if not do intake first
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #53
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey 2011 Kona Blue

Excellent.
Quote:
I totally agree with the more air sucked in, the more power the engine can create. But there is also a key factory that some people overlook. You can suck in all the cold air into the engine but after it sucks, it has to be pushed out. If your rolling stock manifolds and cats then you ain't pushing ***** out faster no matter how much air your sucking in. To really get the full benefit of any CAI, you need a tune, headers and off road x pipe or at least a high flowing catted x pipe. In order to get the full true performance of the CAI you need a complete system. Tune, Headers, x pipe and free flowing exhaust system to push that air out faster.

Your are totally correct on all counts.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

I saw go with the airaid, right now. I just installed mine yesterday and I love the feel of my car now.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake