V6 sound like a GT ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
V6 sound like a GT ?

I have a automatic v6 2012 mustang premium with pony package ... I have a question to all the moders here .. What can i buy for my mustang to sound similar to a gt ??? I have flowmasters right now but dont sound to loud ... Suggestions are welcomed
Fordboi2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You really can't find anything that will make it sound like a GT. If you want loud I have roush and love them! I hear pypes and borla ataks are also loud and many people love them also! YouTube to help find what you really like. Exhaust note and tone is really all personal preference. There is no right or wrong.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I don't mean to bash on sixers but ur not ganna make a v6 sound like a v8 maby close but it won't happen... I'm sorry dude
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How much did u pay for them roush ones .. And yea i kinda figured but i want mine to hear mean atleast u know .. And is ur car auto or manual ?

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

Luna i know i know v6 are nothing like gt but i was asking to sound SIMILAR not exactly like a gt ..
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
To sound like a v8 you are going to want to be deep and not too loud. The louder a V6 gets the more you can tell it isn't a V8, i would say Magnaflow would be a good way to go.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboi2012 View Post
How much did u pay for them roush ones .. And yea i kinda figured but i want mine to hear mean atleast u know .. And is ur car auto or manual ?
I purchased everything from American muscle, and the roush was 469$. At idle it will sound similar to a v8 but a higher revs it won't. My car is a manual. U?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The borla s types have the best tone out of all tr axlebacks. I've had 4 different setups on my car (roush, Magnaflow, straight pipes, and now the borla s types) and the borla by far have the deepest smoothest tone. They sound very similar to a v8 under load and driving around town

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Here's a video of my car with em before they were broken in and had less than 20 miles on em. Now they are even deeper and louder and are continuing to break in nicely. On my channel there are also videos of my car with all my previous set ups too.

http://youtu.be/HkReI0Pzk0Q
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
The borla s types have the best tone out of all tr axlebacks. I've had 4 different setups on my car (roush, Magnaflow, straight pipes, and now the borla s types) and the borla by far have the deepest smoothest tone. They sound very similar to a v8 under load and driving around town

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Here's a video of my car with em before they were broken in and had less than 20 miles on em. Now they are even deeper and louder and are continuing to break in nicely. On my channel there are also videos of my car with all my previous set ups too.

http://youtu.be/HkReI0Pzk0Q
Damn ur car does sound nice and i think urs do sound more agressive than mines right now .. But yea i thought of buying the stupe borla exaust but i wasnt sure .. Yet

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

I purchased everything from American muscle, and the roush was 469$. At idle it will sound similar to a v8 but a higher revs it won't. My car is a manual. U?
My car is a auto i know !!! They didnt have any manuals when i bought mine ..
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

You will get a lot of people saying these are the best or those are the best its all about preference and what,
A, how much you are willing to spend,
B, how loud you want to be,
C, a specific tone your after.
I did 4 months or extensive researching before I chose mine.

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Damn ur car does sound nice and i think urs do sound more agressive than mines right now .. But yea i thought of buying the stupe borla exaust but i wasnt sure .. Yet

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Autos are fine. Very happy with my manual. Ford makes a good auto.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My car is an auto as well.

They are very expensive. But with the 4.5 inch stainless steel double walled borla tips and the stainless steel construction throughout the muffler it was worth it to me. They also have no drone at all; I would say even less than my stock mufflers.

I've had every manner of exhaust for the 3.7 from extremely loud (roush, straight pipes) to quiet and refined (Magnaflow) and now the borla exhaust. By far the quality of the borla surpasses all 3 exhaust choices. Is it worth the 600 dollars? That's up to you. Keep in mind it's hard to capture the true deepness of the borla exhaust through a video too. It's deeper than it sounds in the video.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My car is an auto as well.

They are very expensive. But with the 4.5 inch stainless steel double walled borla tips and the stainless steel construction throughout the muffler it was worth it to me. They also have no drone at all; I would say even less than my stock mufflers.

I've had every manner of exhaust for the 3.7 from extremely loud (roush, straight pipes) to quiet and refined (Magnaflow) and now the borla exhaust. By far the quality of the borla surpasses all 3 exhaust choices. Is it worth the 600 dollars? That's up to you. Keep in mind it's hard to capture the true deepness of the borla exhaust through a video too. It's deeper than it sounds in the video.
Well i guess u just convinced me to get the borla exhaust s type for my car i mean i had that in mind before but i got the flows since i only paid 250 for both exhaust but yea i guess i ll get those after i buy my rims and well the rest of exterior work ima do
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I personally like pypes. Also get bbk headers and x pipe sounds mean and its loud people know what's up when they hear it
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
I have a automatic v6 2012 mustang premium with pony package ... I have a question to all the moders here .. What can i buy for my mustang to sound similar to a gt ??? I have flowmasters right now but dont sound to loud ... Suggestions are welcomed
Remove your 3.7 engine and install the 5.0 engine. Then it will sound like a GT. LOL. POKE. You want a sweet deep, low tone. Flowmaster axle backs, BBK headers , off road x pipe along with two glass pack resonators installed.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Man I'm looking for about the same sound but definitely know the difference. I've been looking at the Pypes and the Borla S but can't make up my mind.

Keep in mind I actually need to buy the damn car first haha.
Fenderfreak145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
If you're not sure about what sound you want, attend a few local car shows in your area. Listen to the V6's that have modified their exhaust. Talk with the owners. Listening first hand, talking to the owner will help you make an easy selection, and know you made the right choice for your money.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I have a sixxer as well and was really thinking about getting Gt500 axle backs fitted on. Any feedback there. I'm not necessarily looking to sound like a gt or have anything too loud. just want a deeper sound and want to stick with ford parts as much as possible.
WarMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
2 more cylinders will do it and nothing else. It is the firing order of the cylinders -odd/even exhaust pulses that give it the rumble. 6 cylinders have a different firing order and can't replicate it. Ghost cam tune, Long tubes, h pipe and mufflers will get you close but at that point you are into it for a nice chunk of change...

I have the force II axlebacks and I like them a lot. Their is a video of a guy with the GC tune, offroad x, lt headers and the force II on youtube. I think this is about as close as it gets with this combo.
http://youtu.be/IUOPJMTBuCg
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I had the Borla ATAKs and I loved them! they sounded godly when starting up and they are loud! lol I was able to set off car alarms in parking garages in first gear at about 4k rpms. lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it wont ever happen, you just have to find the best exhaust for your car, and keep in mind loud != good, loud is just loud
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: New York
You will never get the 6 to sound like the GT. but check out this exhaust... It is one of the deepest sounding for our 6ers... And the quality and finish is top of the line... Listen with headphones on...

MBRP Exhaust...

Catback... $902

Axleback... $629
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The mbrp exhaust does sound good. But to me it isn't loud enough. That is why I love my s type exhaust. It is super clean sounding, very deep, no rasp at all, an still very loud when you go full throttle.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Also I agree with everyone else about it never sounding like a gt. at idle you might have some fooled with enough mods. But when you hit the gas it's obvious what's an 8 cylinder and what's a six
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also I agree with everyone else about it never sounding like a gt. at idle you might have some fooled with enough mods. But when you hit the gas it's obvious what's an 8 cylinder and what's a six
Put headers, x pipe Flowmaster Axle back exhaust with glass pack resonators and you will fool more than some. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Un bolt your mufflers do a muffler delete nice loud..little raspy but had a performance resonator to tone that down
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
Un bolt your mufflers do a muffler delete nice loud..little raspy but had a performance resonator to tone that down
I did this to see if I could first stand a straight through muffler. With a 2 hour trip ahead, I realized I was short on gas and was deaf. Just the way I like it. Roush it is for me. But of I somehow got a lump more of money, I'd buy the borla. I just think the extra 1/2 inch tip is a bit overkill
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i think ima save up some money and get me the s type borla exhaust ... But ill do that at the end since i already have flowmasters they aint that loud but its better than stock but yea i never said sound like a gt i want it similar to a gt .. But thanks doe guys
Old 03-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I did mine last week one trip 300 miles averaged 26mpg and not even tthat loud and sounds pretty good
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't going for a v8 sound I wanted more of an aggressive g35 sound (previous Nissan lover) and after installing my pype bombs it sounded pretty damn close to a v8. The rumble is there and its pretty deep...above 3k rpm its that healthy v6 sound though :p nothing is healthier than a v8 though...except a v10 or 12....lmao!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I did this to see if I could first stand a straight through muffler. With a 2 hour trip ahead, I realized I was short on gas and was deaf. Just the way I like it. Roush it is for me. But of I somehow got a lump more of money, I'd buy the borla. I just think the extra 1/2 inch tip is a bit overkill
+1, roush is for me also, I would have liked the borla ataks but at almost 800$ I could have got my roush and a set of those pypes people are talking about! Way to rich for me. I also love the rolled and embossed tips of the roush.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

ghost cams helps to they sound sick.. but not sure on performance or emissions not sure it will pass, but sounds awesome..
manlaw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

downshifting into second coming to a stop....my whip sounds sort of like a boxer engine! LOL

2:43
Pypes Axle-Back on Mustang 3.7, FULL comparison (Before/after vids) - YouTube
Old 03-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The pypes sound very similar to the roushto to my ear just Not as deep. The roush have a chambered sound to them. The pypes have a straight trough straight pipe type of sound. I like te roush more than the pypes honestly, idk why everyone on this forum likes em so much.

My first exhaust set up for my car I made the pypes at a local muffler shop for 140. Straight pipe with magna flow 4.5 inch stainless steel tips. It sounded really nice revving and under 1500 rpm. Anywhere else and it sounded like a fart cannon. Ive never heard the pypes in person but I'm curious to see if it sounds any different than my Straight pipe. The roush sound way different to me.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I feel the exact opposite of you, yea the pipes is basically a straight pipe but they sound nice. And videos don't do them justice, videos also make the roush sound like a huge fart can. Also think the pypes sound better with headers than roush does.
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Roush are the only aftermarket exhaust I've heard in person before buying my pypes...they definitely sounded different. They werent the sound I was looking for but sounded good still
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
I feel the exact opposite of you, yea the pipes is basically a straight pipe but they sound nice. And videos don't do them justice, videos also make the roush sound like a huge fart can. Also think the pypes sound better with headers than roush does.
+1 pype bombs are different that just straight pipes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang