Chin spoiler broke off! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Chin spoiler broke off!

on my 2013 v6 the chin spoiler sort of bent down and broke off a bit on the passenger side when I hit the curb parking the first day I got it... I wasn't so sure how low it was and it happened )':
how much would it cost for repairs?? Could I fix it myself?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1845200188.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	98467   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4270080518.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	98468  

Name:	image-3022326666.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	98469  
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Call ford, tell them your situation, and instead of the stock chin splitter which probably costs $100 tell them you want the 13' shelby front splitter kit. The shelby kit is only $160.
Gdocumet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Its very easy to remove and replace.It is held on the bottom by either screws or plastic screws and tabs that pop out.You could remove it and when your ready replace it with an aftermarket chin spoiler.

I love the roush chin spoilers.Check out Late Model Restoration site,they seem to have a large selection on there web site.Also to be fair check out the other Mustang Parts
selling sponsors websites.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdocumet View Post
Call ford, tell them your situation, and instead of the stock chin splitter which probably costs $100 tell them you want the 13' shelby front splitter kit. The shelby kit is only $160.
Have you done this yourself?
also, thanks for the quick reply!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was interested in getting the shelby front splitter kit (3 pieces i believe) so i contacted ford. All said and done, it would've come out to $159. I'm waiting for something to happen to my stock front splitter so i can do the switch because im only willing to spend the money once i actually need it. I think you have the perfect excuse to do the switch haha.
Gdocumet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Do a search on the net.There is video's of how to remove and replace this.
The most work is getting the front end of your car off the ground to have room
to work on it.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The problem isn't the front air dam. It looks like you ripped the bumper where the screws mount, correct? If so, you have two options: Replace bumper and retain 100% stock compatibility and look (from underneath), or redrill the bumper slightly offset from where you ripped it, then redrill all air dams you buy to match the new hole positioning.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
The problem isn't the front air dam. It looks like you ripped the bumper where the screws mount, correct? If so, you have two options: Replace bumper and retain 100% stock compatibility and look (from underneath), or redrill the bumper slightly offset from where you ripped it, then redrill all air dams you buy to match the new hole positioning.
I see this too. Looks like a front bumper replacement.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sucks but a good tip is to park in reverse Next time.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yess! they holes where the screws go broke off! and if I do drill me bigger holes or even maybe even put small steel plates over and drill holes over those, I'm afraid that since the chin spoiler is Bent it might brake off an even bigger part of the bumper! O: I hope I don't have to replace the whole thing/:

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
That sucks but a good tip is to park in reverse Next time.
I've been doing that ever since(x
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hate to see this. I've scraped the chin spoiler on my 2011 so many times i can't count. I have a new Stillen chin spoiler but im afraid to put it on becasue its lower to the ground than the factory one. My Mustang isn't even lowered
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The chin spoiler is garbage now, bent way too much. You will need a new one of those. However, if you move like 2" to the left or right of the preexisting mount holes, drill a hole through the new spoiler and bumper, then used the metal nut clip over it, it will work just fine. Nobody but your mechanic or oil guy will even see it.

Newer Malibu's have rear fascia inserts held on like that. I somehow ripped one loose with a huge pothole. I did exactly what I described above and had it fixed within 10 mins. No one would ever know unless they got under the vehicle.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #13
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The chin spoiler is garbage now, bent way too much. You will need a new one of those. However, if you move like 2" to the left or right of the preexisting mount holes, drill a hole through the new spoiler and bumper, then used the metal nut clip over it, it will work just fine. Nobody but your mechanic or oil guy will even see it.

Newer Malibu's have rear fascia inserts held on like that. I somehow ripped one loose with a huge pothole. I did exactly what I described above and had it fixed within 10 mins. No one would ever know unless they got under the vehicle.
Great advise! Ill try taking it off today(:
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Zedd! I told you this site is helpful haha
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Great advise! Ill try taking it off today(:
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ill try taking it off today!(: thanks for the great advice!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Ill try taking it off today!(: thanks for the great advice!
One way to get your post count up...say it three times!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
on my 2013 v6 the chin spoiler sort of bent down and broke off a bit on the passenger side when I hit the curb parking the first day I got it... I wasn't so sure how low it was and it happened )':
how much would it cost for repairs?? Could I fix it myself?
How's everything going with that? Because I just saw that mine broke off on the far left side. I was leaving a parking lot and and the driveway exit was like straight down I had no way to not hit it and now it looks exactly like what happened to yours.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I had a valet driver do this to my car but he managed to just rip out the screws on the passenger side towards the end of the splitter. I was able to drill a new mounting hole next to the old one and used a zip tie to hold the splitter on. Works like a charm
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I had a valet driver do this to my car but he managed to just rip out the screws on the passenger side towards the end of the splitter. I was able to drill a new mounting hole next to the old one and used a zip tie to hold the splitter on. Works like a charm
They should be insured for that and they would be replacing it...

Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well I haven't looked at it closely, but I'm gonna try that. Thanks man.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Did this on my F150's chin spoiler! Also worked great.

Always wonder what the mechanics think when they see parts held on with tie wraps?!?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Zip ties....the gift from god! Lmao.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMade View Post

How's everything going with that? Because I just saw that mine broke off on the far left side. I was leaving a parking lot and and the driveway exit was like straight down I had no way to not hit it and now it looks exactly like what happened to yours.
I haven't done anything yet but first off I'm going to try and see if their is any way to somehow bolt it back on(: if that doesn't work I might just have to buy a new bumper/: ill let you know what happens!(:
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did this on my F150's chin spoiler! Also worked great.

Always wonder what the mechanics think when they see parts held on with tie wraps?!?
Oh, that's nothing... I don't have mufflers therefore no rear exhaust hangers. So the rear of my exhaust has exhaust wrap around it then the ends are warped around a cross brace and zip tied tight. I had it like that when I went to steeda for gears, the mechanic got a good kick out of it... But hey, I have zero exhaust rattle and it has been on there for months, that's allot more than most people with no mufflers can say.

And I prob. should have said something to the valet but I didn't see it till the next day a d it was an easy fix so I let it go.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Well, I guess I'm too proud of my Mustang right now to start using bailing wire and zip ties on it for repairs and mods!

However, my 2005 F150 got that treatment with its front chin spoiler when I crossed a center highway median to get out of a traffic jam due to an accident. Bent the plastic slightly, so I felt it was not worth the 200 bucks Ford wanted for its replacement. Temporary tie wrap fix; got to the junkyard, bought a used one, cut the tie wrap and installed the replacement.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #27

Chin spoiler repair

I too had an issue with the chin strap on my Boss. It tore the plastic off the back of the bolt lips/bumper and could not get it to hold securely so to fix it I did the following which works great
First, bought a small sheet of sheet metal, (fairly thin) and a good two part epoxy (used gorilla glue brand). Then I cut twelve 1 1/2 x 2 inch pieces and, using the spoiler bolt clips for hole location, drilled holes in each piece large enough for the spoiler bolts to slip through. Then I took the spoiler off and all of the bolt clips off the bumper. Cleaned the bolt hole areas well with a wet rag to remove all loose dust and dirt. Then, mixed my epoxy and set the pre drilled sheet metal pieces with epoxy over the bolt holes on the top side of the bumper bottom inner lip. Held each piece in place with clothes pins while epoxy dried. Once dried, removed clothes pins and placed all of the bolt clips makining sure they were placed perfectly. Reinstalled to chin strap spoiler which is now very secure.
Total cost $12 and time was 3 hrs.
Erikf1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
Hate to see this. I've scraped the chin spoiler on my 2011 so many times i can't count. I have a new Stillen chin spoiler but im afraid to put it on becasue its lower to the ground than the factory one. My Mustang isn't even lowered
I have had a Stillen spoiler installed for 18 months and it is not really any lower than the stock one. It does stick out further in the front so you need to watch how close you park but I have not had it scrape at all. I have hit the factory flap that hangs down behind the spoiler though.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

If you drive a sports car with a ground hugging front end, be it a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, or Lamborghini, you simply cannot park by the front
door in parking lots and expect your car to be nice longer than a day or two. All you have to do to avoid this is stay away from the front door. An added benefit is you won't get door dings in your car either, and with the added walking, you will probably keep your weight down and keep your heart healthy. I won't go near a parking space that has any concrete curb or island in front of it. I treat such spaces
as if they are mined with explosives.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:12 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Chin spoiler broke off!

I just stop before getting too close. The first thing I did when I bought my car is replace the scuffed up chin spoiler. After two years, I have yet to run the front end into anything. You just need to get a feel for where the front of your car is. Our cars are not that long, you don't need to pull so far in.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My chin spoiler is scuffed to hell need to replace it now that I know where to stop when I pull into spots lol
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I am making my own chin spoiler. I will post pics when it is done

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Last summer I replaced my front spoiler with a Boss 302 version. Two days later, I was on the pike and had a semi throw a gator right into my path. Had to replace the bumper and spoiler. I have no problems with curbs, but they make sensors that tell you when you are too close.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Home made chin splitter

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1450907340582.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	195110  
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Zip ties....the gift from god! Lmao.
The new Duct tape.
Had 5 Mustangs. the last two were a Black 2012 GT/CS lowered, custom wheels, Airaid CAI, Flowmaster Outlaws, BAMA tune, MMD hood struts, Raxiom Black Halo headlights, 13-14 tail lights, & Raxiom Taillight adapters. Removed the 2012 GT/CS stripe (black on black sucks) Replaced with 13-14 Silver GT/CS stripes. I now have a 2015 Magnetic Gray Premium GT with Performance Pack, Borla's, Velgen 20" wheels with Nitto Invos with 275's up front,and 295's in the rear. Airaid CAI, JLT oil separator.
C013RA is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang