Basic Mods for Track Events? '12 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Basic Mods for Track Events? '12 V6

Hi guys,

This is my first post here.

I have sold my track car and would like to take my Mustang to track for a few events of High Performance Driving (road course).

I was wondering what is the basic stuff I need. The car is a lease and is an AUTO I never intended to use it on the track.

Anyway, this is what I have in mind:

ECU Program: must change the shift pattern immediately or just use the 1/2/3 slots in the auto shift. If going to tuning, which vendor do you recommend?

Brake Pads/Fluid: I used to use Porterfields pads in my track car. What pads do you guys use in the Mustang?

Suspension: Sway bars and lowering springs. Do I need anything else? Remember I need to take this all out in 2 years and return the lease.

Track tires and beaten up wheels: I am thinking of going with 17 inches (to keep the costs low) and put a set of Hankooks RS3. Would 17 inches flex too much? Do I need 18s?

Thanks for all the help,
All the best
Gus
GHVA226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Leased ?? Get Track insurance

First thing is get track insurance on that car, Just in case. They offer it at reasonable cost and you will not be paying full sticker for a totally wrecked car if something goes wrong.

Then you will want a sturdy aluminium drive shaft.
A CAI with a good track tune.
A set of straight through mufflers such as Magnaflow Comps.
Check around for better brake pads (especially on the front)

That should be enough to see what else you would want or need after getting on the road course/Track a few times.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Thanks. Yeah. I never go to the track without insurance. Any recommended drive shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
American Muscle don't have them for the 3.7

I was mistaken
American Muscle does have them>

Click here>http://www.americanmuscle.com/alumin...v6-manual.html

I'm sure someone on this forum that has one and likes it will give you that advise. It really is needed to give you the safety and peace of mind. It is something you can remove and resell when you turn in your lease.

You don't need this to happen.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Oh man...That doesn't look good.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHVA226 View Post
Hi guys,

This is my first post here.

I have sold my track car and would like to take my Mustang to track for a few events of High Performance Driving (road course).

I was wondering what is the basic stuff I need. The car is a lease and is an AUTO I never intended to use it on the track.

Anyway, this is what I have in mind:

ECU Program: must change the shift pattern immediately or just use the 1/2/3 slots in the auto shift. If going to tuning, which vendor do you recommend?

Brake Pads/Fluid: I used to use Porterfields pads in my track car. What pads do you guys use in the Mustang?

Suspension: Sway bars and lowering springs. Do I need anything else? Remember I need to take this all out in 2 years and return the lease.

Track tires and beaten up wheels: I am thinking of going with 17 inches (to keep the costs low) and put a set of Hankooks RS3. Would 17 inches flex too much? Do I need 18s?

Thanks for all the help,
All the best
Gus
Just curious, what was your old track car, and what was done to it?
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

2001 Porsche Boxster 2.7L. Mods Handling: Bilstein PSS9s, H&R Sway Bars, Hoosiers (17''), Track Pads/Fluid, Short Shifter. Safety: Rollbar Extension, 6-point (Crow) harnesses and Aluminum Kirkey seats. No power improvement.

Had to let it go...Getting too expensive to maintain it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
Sounds like you're focusing on all the right stuff. Going from your boxter which is an excellent handling car, you're going to do well by improving the handling and braking of your mustang. I like Hawk Pads and American muscle has free lifetime tunes if you get a tuner from them.
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang