does aftermarket reduce the cars value in a trade in? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Question does aftermarket reduce the cars value in a trade in?

i might be trading my v6 for a Gt next year and i want to buy a coupple aftermarket things for my v6 before just in case i dont end up trading it in:p i need to know that if i do will the value of the car decrease or increase? also i got the car for around 27k base price. putting around 20k miles before i trade it in, how much would you guys think the car would be worth if i do trade it in?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
If I was you if your going to trade it in then don't mod it and just save your money to mod the gt you never get your money back when you mod
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it wont help, probably hurts it will for sure add no value to a dealership
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You get screwed two times with a car. First time, when you buy it and the second time is when you sell it
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
If I was you if your going to trade it in then don't mod it and just save your money to mod the gt you never get your money back when you mod
+1 ... The only time you make some money if any at all is when you do a private sale. Dealers could care less how much extra money you put into it
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You could have a 100k dollor motor in the car it would be worth less then a all factory one.
OneSlow96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlow96 View Post
You could have a 100k dollor motor in the car it would be worth less then a all factory one.
^ Very true
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What I do when I add a mod (or 20) to a vehicle is to keep the stock parts....for example, I'll keep the stock axle backs....when it comes time to trade the car in, I re-install the stock parts and list the mods for sale on these forums. This way I don't worry about loosing any big money, I enjoy the mods on the vehicle, and gain a few bucks back to buy new mods for the new ride.

Or, maybe the mods fit my next ride.

As to if a mod would depreciate the value of the car, I doubt it, but it wont appreciate it much either, especially if you trade it in at a dealership. They will give you trade in book value for the vehicle, regardless of any mods, short of a flashy paint job perhaps. Maybe you'll get more if you sell it outright to a private individual.

However, if you are really going to buy that new GT within the year, then save the money on mods for your current V6 ride. Put it in a bank account and use it for the down payment.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Why would someone waste money moding their car if knowingly they are going to trade or resell said vehicle in year. You will never get your money back and suspect your car won't be worth any more had you not modded it to begin with. People definitely crack me up.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Very good advice

Bucko said:
Quote:
However, if you are really going to buy that new GT within the year, then save the money on mods for your current V6 ride. Put it in a bank account and use it for the down payment.
Great advice, Save the $$$$ for a better down payment, The more you can put down the better your bargaining power will be.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
If you are planning to trade the car in the next year, then don't spend money modding it.

Dealers want stock cars - much easier for them to sell and get financing for the buyer. They can't give you enough for the mods because they can't get a buyer financed for them. The financing looks at the car as if it is stock; there isn't any line to add value on the financing for aftermarket upgrades.

Mods add no value to the car for the dealer - having it sit on the lot waiting to find the buyer who can afford to make up the difference takes up valuable floor space and floor financing for the store.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

A modded car may also scare some folks at a dealer off. Some may look at a modded car as one that was driven hard (folks that drive them only to church on Sunday).
Old 03-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A modded car may also scare some folks at a dealer off. Some may look at a modded car as one that was driven hard (folks that drive them only to church on Sunday).
Good Point.
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
If you are planning to trade the car in the next year, then don't spend money modding it.

Dealers want stock cars - much easier for them to sell and get financing for the buyer. They can't give you enough for the mods because they can't get a buyer financed for them. The financing looks at the car as if it is stock; there isn't any line to add value on the financing for aftermarket upgrades.

Mods add no value to the car for the dealer - having it sit on the lot waiting to find the buyer who can afford to make up the difference takes up valuable floor space and floor financing for the store.
It's pretty easy to go up 10-15% past the sticker. It's after that that gets rough. I know this because I have a friend who is trying to role 3k negative equity into a car, and EVERY dealer out here has said [that]. As in, 80% of the Ford, Mazda, Nissan dealerships north of Columbus. So instead of getting a Fiesta, 2, or Micro, they have to get something more to cover that difference.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I myself would fear that the mods were not installed properly.
A buddy bought a WRX, he had no end of troubles because the mods that were already installed were not done properly. Ended up with his forth piston seizing, that was after his computer failed one time.
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
It's pretty easy to go up 10-15% past the sticker. It's after that that gets rough. I know this because I have a friend who is trying to role 3k negative equity into a car, and EVERY dealer out here has said [that]. As in, 80% of the Ford, Mazda, Nissan dealerships north of Columbus. So instead of getting a Fiesta, 2, or Micro, they have to get something more to cover that difference.
I'm friends with 2 dealers and have one as a client. They all say the same thing - can't give you enough for the modification, and can't sell it easily. It takes up floor space waiting for the right buyer and that means that they have less floor financing (dealers don't "own" the cars, dealerships all have big financing to keep all those cars on the lots - every car that is not moving in a short time is eating into their profits because they have to pay the finance charges for the floor financing on a car that isn't moving quick enough - they need turnover of stock to keep the profits up).

So they prefer a stock car because that is easy to move. When I bought my 2013 they looked at my 2006, were very familiar with it, and said "can you put it back to stock if you want to trade it?" But since I ordered the car and it was going to be several weeks I had time to find a buyer myself instead and sold it with the supercharger and all the other modifications on it. Was easier than setting it back to stock for a trade in.

So modifications don't necessarily reduce the trade in value - they just don't add anything to it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC

I'm friends with 2 dealers and have one as a client. They all say the same thing - can't give you enough for the modification, and can't sell it easily. It takes up floor space waiting for the right buyer and that means that they have less floor financing (dealers don't "own" the cars, dealerships all have big financing to keep all those cars on the lots - every car that is not moving in a short time is eating into their profits because they have to pay the finance charges for the floor financing on a car that isn't moving quick enough - they need turnover of stock to keep the profits up).

So they prefer a stock car because that is easy to move. When I bought my 2013 they looked at my 2006, were very familiar with it, and said "can you put it back to stock if you want to trade it?" But since I ordered the car and it was going to be several weeks I had time to find a buyer myself instead and sold it with the supercharger and all the other modifications on it. Was easier than setting it back to stock for a trade in.

So modifications don't necessarily reduce the trade in value - they just don't add anything to it.
I was talking about getting financing for more than the sticker-not anything to do with selling stock vs modded. That makes sense for smaller dealerships, my experiences are with bigger franchises.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Easy as this:

Aftermarket parts can increase the sale price to an enthusiast looking for what they want. However, that's having to wait for the right person and sit on it until they show, also private-sale only. You will never get what you put in it though. Do it to make you happy, not for resale value increase.

If you're trying to sell to any normal person or a dealership, you're going to get the same price as if it didn't have the mods to even less money if you did tasteless mods. Some people don't like the crazy things people do to their cars. As stated, there is also the issue that a buyer might think it's been abused.

However, I see more abused cars regardless of mods. A lot of people bang on their cars and never wash/clean them and they become trash bins on wheels. I saw inside some guys car today where he had never cleaned the steering wheel, which was the same green color as the interior of the car (Ford Expedition). It had nastiness from the hands on it built up over who knows how long, which means he never take the time to clean it, let alone put protective products on it. </rant>

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
You get screwed two times with a car. First time, when you buy it and the second time is when you sell it
but after you gain experience and hopefully It never happens again(x

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Bucko said:

Great advice, Save the $$$$ for a better down payment, The more you can put down the better your bargaining power will be.

Ronnie
This is exactly what I've been doing!xD nothing a dealership likes more than a big down payment right?(;
Old 04-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Hi Bucko, ["They will give you trade in book value for the vehicle, "]

I wish they would around here. Every Time I bought a new car, they would offer about 1-2K less than Edmunds.com listed trade in for.

I always kept them in good shape and got private party price or better in a day or so on listing them on Craig's list with a link to a good looking webpage citing the car and its features like an advertisement. My 2000 S-10 sold in less than 4 hours.

My last car I sold [when I got the Mustang] the guy shopping for his Gal's son said, "you won't believe the pile of crap we have looked at for the last 2 weeks, some wanting more then you do for this car. I can't believe how clean this car is." It really was just taken care of, and things gone bad were fixed.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Another thing to do pertaining to mods....keep the reciepts and build a log book. My wife thinks I'm a total car geek for keeping a spread sheet on the computor for all mods, maintenance, and services I do on my vehicles. I number the reciepts and enter them with the date every time I add a part, change the oil, or perform a service (I.E. rotate tires).

Good to have when selling. Makes the buyer comfortable in knowing the vehicle was well maintained and serviced.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Another thing to do pertaining to mods....keep the reciepts and build a log book. My wife thinks I'm a total car geek for keeping a spread sheet on the computor for all mods, maintenance, and services I do on my vehicles. I number the reciepts and enter them with the date every time I add a part, change the oil, or perform a service (I.E. rotate tires).

Good to have when selling. Makes the buyer comfortable in knowing the vehicle was well maintained and serviced.
+1 !
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #23
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

+1 !
Very wise!(:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang