Tuning and Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Tuning and Tires

So, my car is one year old tomorrow. This is my seventh car, owned one after the other, typically traded up as I went. It's the third car I bought new and the very first car I have ever owned that has had absolutely NO problem. No recalls, no weird little fixes done. Nothing small and nothing major. (I'm picky. Very picky when it comes to my beloved ride.)

So naturally I decided my car deserves a birthday present. Well, several actually. I ordered just today my first mods -- 3.73 gears + kits and all, a CAI and Diablo Intune tuner.

In another month or two I'll probably go for summer wheels and tires. We had a really bad winter this year (actually typical where I live) so I'll be keeping my stock wheels and tires, likely to put something like the Blizzaks I had on my previous car for winter.

That brings me to my question for you guys. If I change my wheels and tires, do I need a new set of tunes from Bama? Maybe this is more of an AM question, but I already fired questions at them so I thought I'd give them a break. The reason I ask is because what wheels you have on *is* one of the questions Bama has. Does it really make that much of a difference? Am I going to have to ask for new tunes twice a year when I switch out wheels for winter?

thanks for reading,
D Evermore
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It all depends on Tire height, The stock tires on a V6 manual are 27.6 while if you got a 275/45 18 they are 27.7, not enough to worry about with the Speedo.
You can use this to see how far off your speedo will be Tire size calculator
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You mayneed a tuner to calibrate the taller gears your installing I think. Ford can fix the speed for the 3.31 gears, but anything over that requires a tuner to adjust the speedo.

Nice choice of mods!
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I don't use Bama tunes but they have tunes for life. I guess when you change tire size or gears they will send you new tunes 'free'. All my tunes are open. I can change the gears and tire size by revolution per mile before i load the tune to my Mustang. Your dealer can calibrate your speedometer for your new gears for $50 if you don't want to buy a tuner. Just saying.........

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

I must add: I had my 'dealer' install my 3.73 gears. They offered, for $50 to change my PCM so my speedometer would be right.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Truth! My dealer said the same thing; they'll recalibrate the speedo when they install my 3.73 gears if I want them to. I sent in a question to Bama as to whether it would be worthwhile to do this. My thoughts were if my particular tuner (I ordered the Diablo Intune tuner) downloaded and saved this configuration then it might be useful to do that so I have it as a backup, just in case for some reason I don't care for the Bama tunes. But if the tuner won't save it anyway, then there is no point in asking the dealer to do that for me...

Anyway, I think you guys answered my question on the tire thing. I'm getting that it's really only important to ask for new tunes if the overall wheel + tire size has changed. Thanks all!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I don't use Bama tunes but they have tunes for life. I guess when you change tire size or gears they will send you new tunes 'free'. All my tunes are open. I can change the gears and tire size by revolution per mile before i load the tune to my Mustang. Your dealer can calibrate your speedometer for your new gears for $50 if you don't want to buy a tuner. Just saying.........

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 AM ----------

I must add: I had my 'dealer' install my 3.73 gears. They offered, for $50 to change my PCM so my speedometer would be right.
How much did the dealer charge you to install the 3.73 gears?
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEvermore View Post
Truth! My dealer said the same thing; they'll recalibrate the speedo when they install my 3.73 gears if I want them to. I sent in a question to Bama as to whether it would be worthwhile to do this. My thoughts were if my particular tuner (I ordered the Diablo Intune tuner) downloaded and saved this configuration then it might be useful to do that so I have it as a backup, just in case for some reason I don't care for the Bama tunes. But if the tuner won't save it anyway, then there is no point in asking the dealer to do that for me...

Anyway, I think you guys answered my question on the tire thing. I'm getting that it's really only important to ask for new tunes if the overall wheel + tire size has changed. Thanks all!
Curious, when you say "dealer" do you mean Ford? If so ask them how they recalibrate your speedo seeing how ford is not supposed to have a factory tune for 3.73 gears because they are not an option. (v6)
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the Ford dealership. I'll ask. The guy who gave me a quote for the work said they could but who knows? Maybe he didn't really know.

He did say that they have changed out gears for GTs but that they hadn't done it for a V6 yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang