CAI or CAI + Tune? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

The bouncing around thing i believe is a sales pitch lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	steeda-cold-air-intake-cut-away1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	100071

Name:	brand-j-cut-away-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	100072
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
Total sales pitch lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Total sales pitch lol
Whatever, I'm happy with it.... And you are the one that said you wanted one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
O.k....but the tb has its limit to how much air it can take in, so unless I go with a larger tb full exhaust to breath more air it doesn't really matter how much larger the tube is? Idk. Smoother air flow from the filter to the tube is good but I'm sure its not that significant in noticable gains.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Is there anything else? I'm just trying to justify the extra $. For me its between airaid or steeda.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
O.k....but the tb has its limit to how much air it can take in, so unless I go with a larger tb full exhaust to breath more air it doesn't really matter how much larger the tube is? Idk. Smoother air flow from the filter to the tube is good but I'm sure its not that significant in noticable gains.
I have O/R h pipe and pypes too and I can tell you it breathes way better after the intake. TB is really only needed if you go FI.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Whatever, I'm happy with it.... And you are the one that said you wanted one
I wanted one cuz its the only one that has a larger tube. Nothing else. Idk if the gains would justify the cost
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a tuner already or are planning on getting one, I would opt for the steeda, but that's my personal opinion. It's your car and your money. In the long run it will help supporting mods more than a non tuner Cai.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've read Ford had done a hell of a job on the stock one and if increasing the dia a little with the stock tb to be able to advertise 310 HP instead of 305 the would have done it. No? Imo
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

It may be minut additional gains, but they will add up.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone is providing excellent info. Thx.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
From what I've read Ford had done a hell of a job on the stock one and if increasing the dia a little with the stock tb to be able to advertise 310 HP instead of 305 the would have done it. No? Imo
That's why a non tuner needed Cai is... How do I say this. Basically if you take the box off of your stock pipe and add a cone filter you have a Cai. The steeda increases the airflow with a larger pipe.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm gonna tune this year also. I'm not planning on doing full exhaust just yet, I've done axel backs already for a louder sound.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna tune this year also. I'm not planning on doing full exhaust just yet, I've done axel backs already for a louder sound.
Any Cai will add to your exhaust note. The additional flow makes it sound even better.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Everyone is providing excellent info. Thx.
And BTW your welcome. That's what we are here for. Even if we disagree
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I didnt read all of this but get a CAI + Tune or Just a tune..... CAI's are WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAY over priced pieces of painted tube that give you near no gain. Dont believe the hype, its damn near a scam. If you want a CAI you can build your own for $100

tho only ones that might be worth anything are the ones that require a tune.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
I didnt read all of this but get a CAI + Tune or Just a tune..... CAI's are WAY WAY WAAAAAAAAY over priced pieces of painted tube that give you near no gain. Dont believe the hype, its damn near a scam. If you want a CAI you can build your own for $100
Back to the remove box add cone theory
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Here's some dyno charts from AM's testing of their tunes with CAI's etc on the 11+ 3.7. Supposedly done all the same day. You can see the non-tune required intake (JLT) adds a whopping 1hp/1tq over the stock airbox when both tuned. The curve is a bit smoother though but is it worth $250+? That's up to you.. What I want to see is track #'s comparing stock airbox and a cold air intake with and w/o tune. 1/4, autox, road course, etc.. I doubt you'd see a difference..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-303303849.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	100100   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-185689433.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	100101  

CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #52
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Less than that...just cut the "sound muffler" off of your stock setup, fiberglass the hole left behind, and spray paint it. You'll now have a CAI, and you'll hear the noise everyone seems to want.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

I'm starting to think its more about eye candy than real performance. From what I'm getting is that it might compliment other mods down the line( full exhaust ect) but not really worth it if the my plan is not going down that road just yet. I'm don't think I'm buying into the whole smother air flow design from steeda over other ca intakes and larger dia piping to tb. I don't think it will do much if anything with a stock exhaust and a stock tb to actually bring in more air and breath it out through the stock pipes imo.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I'm starting to think its more about eye candy than real performance. From what I'm getting is that it might compliment other mods down the line( full exhaust ect) but not really worth it if the my plan is not going down that road just yet. I'm don't think I'm buying into the whole smother air flow design from steeda over other ca intakes and larger dia piping to tb. I don't think it will do much if anything with a stock exhaust and a stock tb to actually bring in more air and breath it out through the stock pipes imo.

It sure is an expensive mod for almost no hp return...makes me want to get the 3.73 gears + Tune combo instead thats for sure.

The sound is nice, but $260 nice? hmmmmm lol I could throw a drop-in filter on the stock tubing for the same sound it seems, since thats the principle reason for the mod for the majority of people.
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm. A drop in filter is not going to give you any real measureable horsepower.

Best Regards,

TJ
Good to know, and although I can appreciate the seemingly legit science and engineering that goes into the design of the CAI...its hard to warranty the difference in cost when the design translates to a difference of 1hp/tq to "J."

Will give it some thought for sure though. Thanks for the info TJ.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePwny View Post

Good to know, and although I can appreciate the seemingly legit science and engineering that goes into the design of the CAI...its hard to warranty the difference in cost when the design translates to a difference of 1hp/tq to "J."

Will give it some thought for sure though. Thanks for the info TJ.
Well Steedas is tune required so is the only one that will give you more gains. It's ones like JLT, Airaid, etc that are useless. Just gotta pay more. I'd still like to see track results w/ Steeda vs stock though. Dyno isn't everything. You don't drive with an open hood.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I've done some research on the subject. And seeing dyno results after a CAI by itself, then seeing the results with the two combined, aren't really that different. I don't have headers or turbo...this will be my first mod. What are your opinions?
Get both better bang for your buck if you buy the combo from American muscle

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
Get the tuner and cai that requires a tuner. I used to have a cai w/ no tune required it was a nice noise maker. Then I got a cai that required a tune and the power difference was awesome.
Which cai requires a tune?
Mustangmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
Well Steedas is tune required so is the only one that will give you more gains. It's ones like JLT, Airaid, etc that are useless. Just gotta pay more. I'd still like to see track results w/ Steeda vs stock though. Dyno isn't everything. You don't drive with an open hood.

I know people say, "get the one that requires a tune" but in their very own testing, it showed an almost negligible HP/TQ increase over the competitor's CAI.

So who's to say really? That's what Im trying to get at. Is the $260 reallllly worth it ahead of other mods, when we're talking performance here and not whoosh whoosh
Old 04-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I know people say, "get the one that requires a tune" but in their very own testing, it showed an almost negligible HP/TQ increase over the competitor's CAI.

So who's to say really? That's what Im trying to get at. Is the $260 reallllly worth it ahead of other mods, when we're talking performance here and not whoosh whoosh
From what I've seen from dyno's of Steedas is they give more gains then non-tune required. But, you don't know the different conditions, temp, etc.. Which is why I said I want to see track times comparing and see if it really does make a difference.

And I agree with you, I don't think they are worth it unless you're trying to squeeze out every single HP from your car for better track times. On the street, you most likely won't see a difference no matter what your head is telling you. What are you going to get from 0-60 in .001 seconds quicker? I have a JLT and it's the only mod that I really regret buying. Biggest waste of money..
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
From what I've seen from dyno's of Steedas is they give more gains then non-tune required. But, you don't know the different conditions, temp, etc.. Which is why I said I want to see track times comparing and see if it really does make a difference.

And I agree with you, I don't think they are worth it unless you're trying to squeeze out every single HP from your car for better track times. On the street, you most likely won't see a difference no matter what your head is telling you. What are you going to get from 0-60 in .001 seconds quicker? I have a JLT and it's the only mod that I really regret buying. Biggest waste of money..
Yup, seems like we are in agreement. I think if I'm going to buy a combo from AM its going to be Tune + 3.73 gears, that will completely transform my car, instead of CAI + Tune which will be a moderate transform.

The intake is largely for the sound imo, or squeeze out some last few hp like you said. Especially since Ford did an above average job on our stock intake, which reduces the aftermarket's ability to really show any increases to warrant a $250-400 purchase.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yup, seems like we are in agreement. I think if I'm going to buy a combo from AM its going to be Tune + 3.73 gears, that will completely transform my car, instead of CAI + Tune which will be a moderate transform.

The intake is largely for the sound imo, or squeeze out some last few hp like you said. Especially since Ford did an above average job on our stock intake, which reduces the aftermarket's ability to really show any increases to warrant a $250-400 purchase.
I just hate how everyone recommends a CAI/tuner package from AM like it's some kind of amazing package. Unless you want the "cool" sound or maybe just something to look nicer under the hood. Some say it made their exhaust louder but not sure that's been proven. I just can't justify it from a performance stand point. Get a gear/tuner package like you said, or and exhaust & tune.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The CAI is one of those mods that everyone does no matter what they drive... So manny people get them that others get suckered into it if you ask me... Your average high school kid that thinks he knows everything about a car is going to tell you a CAI is an excellent first mod that will give you a good gain...but really they have no idea, there just repeating what everyone else had said.

As a matter of fact, I have seen instances where a CAI took power from a car because as we all know most CAI are really hot air intakes unless they mount in a fender or bring in outside air...

It has been said many times that the 2 mods that wake up our cars the most are the tune and gears and I would agree. The tune makes the car more fun to drive along with a nice gain in power... I think if I could only do 1 mod that would be it. The tune is closely followed by the gears. Something about the pickup in acceleration just gets the blood pumpin... If your trying to save your warranty them I would recommend exhaust mods. Headers and a cat back system has been shown to give good gains, even just long tube headers and a shorty x pipe would give you some nice top end power.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Gear/tuner combo for me. If I do a Cai it will be way down the list of mods I have planned. Thx everyone for the great info and opinions!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I have seen instances where a CAI took power from a car because as we all know most CAI are really hot air intakes unless they mount in a fender or bring in outside air...
That is why the Steeda unit engages the hood to keep unwanted hot air out.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I have seen first hand dyno results with a JLT cai without a tuner. It does add around 9-10 hp by itself. Steeda may add more, but cai's do help. The engine sound also improves. But everyone has their own opinions.
Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
I have seen first hand dyno results with a JLT cai without a tuner. It does add around 9-10 hp by itself. Steeda may add more, but cai's do help. The engine sound also improves. But everyone has their own opinions.
Good to know, I wish there was more dyno charts to support this though so I can see it for myself. The few charts I've seen usuaully show CAI + Tune as 1hp over Tune alone lol
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.

www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I have attached a dyno sheet that was a test we did about a year and a half ago of the stock airbox vs the cold air.

On this test the car was loaded with a basic tune with no cam timing changes just so we could have a higher rev limiter that way we could rev the engine to the same RPM with both intakes without running into a limiter. Ignition timing was the same for both tunes.

The results show a “peak” gain of only 5 horsepower, but there is a lot more there if you read the dyno sheet. Gains started at about 4,500, with gains of 6 to 9 horsepower between 4,500 and 5,000. Between 5,300 and 6,100 gains were 7 to 10 horsepower. And between 6,700 and 7,200 the gains were an impressive 12 to 15 horsepower. So you can see measureable gains from a cold air intake.
Better flow at high rpm, when you're racing *on the track*
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't see the attachment TJ. But I assume this is with your intake, correct?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai