Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Question

I was going to buy a tuner for my 2013 mustang But my brother doesn't want me to buy one Cause it avoids the warrantee on the Engine Is there a way if I have the tune on and something does happen to the engine I could take the tune off and they won't see it ?????????
CodyMustang3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
People say that it will stay on the cars memory
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX21 View Post
People say that it will stay on the cars memory
Well I hope my car forgets Lmfao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyMustang3.7 View Post
I was going to buy a tuner for my 2013 mustang But my brother doesn't want me to buy one Cause it avoids the warrantee on the Engine Is there a way if I have the tune on and something does happen to the engine I could take the tune off and they won't see it ?????????
The 2011+ Computers on the cars takes a timestamp of everytime a device is plugged into the ECU and takes a note of what was done. So ford can easily just hook up the car to their computer and bam instant warranty void
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

The 2011+ Computers on the cars takes a timestamp of everytime a device is plugged into the ECU and takes a note of what was done. So ford can easily just hook up the car to their computer and bam instant warranty void
That really sucks But I feel like everyone puts a Tune And nothing really goes wrong with their engine
Old 03-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They will know 100% if you tuned your car. If your warranty is important to you then leave it alone. Otherwise, start buying mods!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyMustang3.7 View Post

That really sucks But I feel like everyone puts a Tune And nothing really goes wrong with their engine
When it comes to a new car things can still break. Manufacturer defects happen bro thats life so i would honestly tell you to wait till u put at least 10-15 thousand miles on ur car by then if anything was gna break it should have. After that start doing tune related mods
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
It's up to the dealership as to if they work with warranty issues on a modded vehicle. Many have said they have taken their car to a dealership and have had the warranty work done, even when the vehicle was modified. Tuners push this, but some have stated the dealer still worked with them. If the warranty issue has to do with a stereo for instance, I doubt that the dealership would void the warranty because a CAI or tuner was installed, as they would not be able to produce any reasonable evedence that these mods effected the stereo's operation.

To directly answer your question, yes, a dealer can tell if a tuner is/was installed, even if you flash it back to stock prior to the visit. The CPU's used today record any and all changes. It used to be that you could flash the stock tune back, dirve a few miles, and all was good. Not any more.

One guy was going to try to "beat the system" by buying a used PCM (never flashed), and then use his other PCM for being tuned. He then would install the second, non tuned PCM if he had to take the vehicle in for warranty work.

He never reported back though as to if this worked or not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang