V6 30,000 mile service - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
V6 30,000 mile service

Hello everyone,

I just the 30,000 mile mark on myV6 2011Mustang and I am up for the 30,000 mile service at my dealership. They quoted me about 600 dollars for the service. This is very high and I was wondering if anyone here has done this service yet?
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDUB View Post
Hello everyone,

I just the 30,000 mile mark on myV6 2011Mustang and I am up for the 30,000 mile service at my dealership. They quoted me about 600 dollars for the service. This is very high and I was wondering if anyone here has done this service yet?
A bit steep for oil, filter and maybe air filter. Nothing major on these cars until like 100k.

Look at your manual.

They are trying to screw you buddy.

BOHICA!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1756506683.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	708.7 KB
ID:	99701  

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Thanks.. Had the car for two years and haven't opened it yet.. It seemed it was all inspections and changing all fluids, air filter, cabin filter, and a trans flush.
MustangDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDUB View Post
Thanks.. Had the car for two years and haven't opened it yet.. It seemed it was all inspections and changing all fluids, air filter, cabin filter, and a trans flush.
Trans flush isn't needed until well over 100k.

Tell them to F off and just do the oil change your self.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Honestly, don't believe the trans fluid not being changed nonsense. Service it at 30k and ignore the manual. Leaving an automatic with old fluid in it to 100k+, then changing it wrecks havoc on them. I wouldn't chance it for the small price of a flush and filter.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You should also contact Ford Motor Company and tell them of the deceptive scheduled service and cost.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Define all fluids. All, or just some.
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugoboss View Post
Define all fluids. All, or just some.
Don't ask me. Apparently I'm a moron actually following the maintenance schedule published by ford.

I guess there are 6r80 transmissions that were serviced at the 100k schedule that were ruined. Or so I've been told now.

I guess ford dropped the ball on making money on service by telling people to hold out. Or maybe that is their plan to destroy the transmission probably to charge the morons who follow the schedule. Evil, bad ford.

Suppose that goes true on the coolant, brake fluid, wiper fluid, etc.

Since we can't trust ford. I guess we should change everything every 3k.

F if I know.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Don't ask me. Apparently I'm a moron actually following the maintenance schedule published by ford.

I guess there are 6r80 transmissions that were serviced at the 100k schedule that were ruined. Or so I've been told now.

I guess ford dropped the ball on making money on service by telling people to hold out. Or maybe that is their plan to destroy the transmission probably to charge the morons who follow the schedule. Evil, bad ford.

Suppose that goes true on the coolant, brake fluid, wiper fluid, etc.

Since we can't trust ford. I guess we should change everything every 3k.

F if I know.
Or we could be over-dramatic ninnies who want to throw sarcasm around indiscriminately.

Ford specifies 5w20 for the 5.0... but wait. They started specifying a heavier 5w50 weight oil for track pack 5.0 cars. Nothing is different in the engine, they just expect these cars to be run harder and know the heavier oil helps. So, am I wrong to run the heavier weight oil in my car, since I run it at the track frequently, even though I don't have a track pack? Key point: Gas mileage. Recommending the heavier oil would lower their fleet MPG, so they don't.

Rules and logic are not always the same thing.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
On my 2006 v6 auto, I just kept up with regular maintenance (oil change,etc) and did the 100k service thing for 300, gotta love military auto ports. It didn't hurt my transmission. I think I might do the same with my 2012 v6 auto. Unless there is reason to believe otherwise.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Trans flush isn't needed until well over 100k.

Tell them to F off and just do the oil change your self.
I did a trans flush at 32K; glad I did. There was the expected metal wear in the pan. Now that the break in is over so to speak, I'll consider taking the trans fluid to 100K.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Honestly, don't believe the trans fluid not being changed nonsense. Service it at 30k and ignore the manual. Leaving an automatic with old fluid in it to 100k+, then changing it wrecks havoc on them. I wouldn't chance it for the small price of a flush and filter.
Just curious but what's the history regarding the new sealed transmissions?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Seeing as how heat is the number on factor in destroying automatics, I too don't like the idea of leavingthe automatic trans fluid in a transmission for 100K. Since I'm forced to do some stop/go city traffic in afternoon rush hour traffic, I choose to flush it at 32K. I'll continue this.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Seeing as how heat is the number on factor in destroying automatics, I too don't like the idea of leavingthe automatic trans fluid in a transmission for 100K. Since I'm forced to do some stop/go city traffic in afternoon rush hour traffic, I choose to flush it at 32K. I'll continue this.
Can we change our own automatic transmission fluid in the 11 plus v6. Can we just pull a plug and drain a portion of the transmission fluid? I have been told there is no transmission fluid dip stick therefore how do I place the fluid in.

Or is this something that Ford bangs ya and in order for this you need to take the car into dealer for a full trans flush.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

To get it all, you need a flush device. No drain plug in the pan (you could install one the first time you drop it). In draining just the pan, you only get about 4 quarts, and leave dirty,burnt fluid in the torque converter (they don't have a drain plug anymore either). It's like draining only 3 quarts of engine oil and leaving 3 dirty quarts in.

Shop around. My local Ford dealer wanted $160.00 to flush, plus another $20.00 for the transmission filter. For $160.00, they would flush the system, but not drop the pan and change the filter. I found a transmission shop in my area with the newer flush devices (no "reverse pressure") and they did it all, including dropping the pan and filter replacement for $160.00.

Ask questions; find out what type of flush device they have; the older systems used pressure to remove the fluid; some say this is not good for the seals. Google and read up. The newer flush systems are completely safe.

I would strongly recommend a flush at 30 to 35K, then every 40 to 50K there after. You'll have no worries with the automatic. If you wait until 100K, some say a flush can push crap through the tiny cavities and plug an automatics valve body; not sure of that, especially with the synthetic oil that Ford uses right from the factory, but heat will still break it down. Flush it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Hey, what's that thing called where you can get your transmission fluid changed for free because of the half synthetic from the factory? And does that apply to manuals?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Mustangdub

Did you say $600.00 or was it Six Hundred Dollars?
What in the heck are they gonna do to warrant charging that much $$$$$$ ????

Maybe they are going to replace all of your tires, Brake pads, all of the sensors, all of the filters, all of the fluids, and wash your car.

$600.00 Duh?????

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Did you say $600.00 or was it Six Hundred Dollars?
What in the heck are they gonna do to warrant charging that much $$$$$$ ????

Maybe they are going to replace all of your tires, Brake pads, all of the sensors, all of the filters, all of the fluids, and wash your car.

$600.00 Duh?????

Ronnie
Ford wanted $500.00 for our Flex. My local mechanic did it for $200.00. 30k on the flex is mostly inspection and top offs. I believe they flushed the radiator oil Change and tire rotation. But the Mustang doesn't call for this.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Hey, what's that thing called where you can get your transmission fluid changed for free because of the half synthetic from the factory? And does that apply to manuals?
This only applies to manual transmissions. The flush service I'm refering to is for automatic transmissions.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I was just curious what that recall on transmission fluid is called and how to find it so I can show the German Ford dealership that they have to replace it with full synthetic.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Yeah, I was just curious what that recall on transmission fluid is called and how to find it so I can show the German Ford dealership that they have to replace it with full synthetic.
Especially in Germany were the winters are cold! It seems the problem is more aggravated with the hard 1-2 shifts in manuals with colder weather that I've read. Now that it's warming up a bit, is there any difference (for the better)?

Go here to read up on the TSB you're looking for (TSB-11-3-18). Better yet, print it and give it to your service advisor over there.:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...ting-problems/
Old 04-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Do you know where I can find a copy of that to show the dealership?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Do you know where I can find a copy of that to show the dealership?
Just updated/edited my post, but here it is again:

Ford issues TSB for 2011+ Mustangs to resolve cold shifting problems | Mustangs Daily
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, sent that out before I got it. Thanks a lot man. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

No worries. Glad to help out. If you ever need any other TSB rekated issues, just go to GOOGLE, and type in something like "2011 Mustang TSB's"

There's an official site that lists them as well, but I do not recal the link. It will most likely appear in the gOOGLE search though.

Enjoy the beer in Germany! I miss the pretzel bread and visen beer!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

But just so I'm correct, I can just take that to them and they have to flush it for free?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Yep. If you complain about it, and there's a TSB out on it, they have to do it. They get reimbursed, so no worries to them. It's a "silent" type recall (TSB's). Only when a vehicle experiences the symptoms does the dealer correct. Ford will issue TSB's but they are not a recall.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Follow what your manual says.I change my oil every 3k due to high temps outside. Tranny fluid is good to 100k most modern cars, same with rear end oil, over 100k miles before you need to change.

My local dealership tried that same crap with me.
$600 for service when the car doesn't need any
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang