Transmission Choice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Transmission Choice

I am strongly considering a used 2011 or 2012 V6 Convertible. I had made up my mind that I wanted a 6 speed stick ...love driving them. I am now very concerned over all the problems I have read about with the MT82 transmissions.

Are they all bad or is it a crap shoot?

What specifically are all the issues? I am aware of the rough 1-2 shift and grinding - not sure what else there is.

Are there repairs/mods that work or are you essential stuck in a bad situation? I have heard about Barton brackets, changing fluid type etc.

How many of you that have a stick would buy another?

Should I just avoid the MT82 and get an automatic (as a couple of people have told me personally)?

Thanks in advance.
sbbamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The biggest problem is cold shifting. 1st and second can get really notchy, but there is a tsb for the 11-12 models to change out the tranny fluid that a lot of people said greatly improved it. I have a 13 with the new fluid in it already and during the cold winter months up here in montreal it gets really Notchy between 1st and second until it warms up. Now that the warmer weather is finally here its MUCH better! I'm very happy with my manual but I will be changing the shifter bracket shortly because the stock on is CRAP! (65-104$) from American muscle. Other than that its smooth as silk for me! Check out some reviews on the net comparing the two, most I've seen and read prefer the manual. I would test drive both and see which one you prefer.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
No problems with the automatic. Just saying.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you get a used one, I'd try to stick to '12+ The 2011 models had quite a few with issues involving flywheel bolts backing out. I think some of the transmissions issues on them was the clutch not being able to fully disengage causing synchros to get burned up.

Yes, I'd get the MT82 again. However, there is a T56 swap available for people wanting the Tremec option if they're desperate.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
There are some. Most guys have to reset the "learning" function to make it start shifting aggressively after DDing it. The adaptive shifting will make your shifts slow and mushy if you don't. There's also been a couple recalls on the autos for other issues.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
There are some. Most guys have to reset the "learning" function to make it start shifting aggressively after DDing it. The adaptive shifting will make your shifts slow and mushy if you don't. There's also been a couple recalls on the autos for other issues.
I'm new to this, when I installed my aftermarket gears, cai, and tune, should I have done this as well? If so, can I do it now?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Other then the fact it's not as fun as stick

OP, I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you test drive the car for a good bit. You should be able to tell if it has any trans problems. But really the problem was more common in the earlier models so I would try to find a 12 or 13.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
+1 to the rough shifts when it is cold out. After that though like mentioned they go away. Im nearing 10,000 without any problems at all!
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Here we go...

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

16000 on my car bracket helped short throw soon
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm doing the shifter bracket shortly, barton one piece or the two piece? I was Going to speed a little extra and get the two piece but now I'm not sure.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I did the one piece I can't really feel.feel a difference but driving you can tell.a difference the Barton ss should match it nicely
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Other then the fact it's not as fun as stick

OP, I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you test drive the car for a good bit. You should be able to tell if it has any trans problems. But really the problem was more common in the earlier models so I would try to find a 12 or 13.
It aint much fun when the manual transmission is breaking down or having issues. Lol. Automatic works perfect in our cars.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

It aint much fun when the manual transmission is breaking down or having issues. Lol. Automatic works perfect in our cars.
Manuals don't break down, roll eyes, and from what I and others have read auto are perfect either. Lol.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Sounds like another auto vs manual. Let's kick a dead horse.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
ill be the first to say that the autos aren't perfect! my 2nd to 3rd gear shift was horrible! especially in the mornings after the car had sat.. even worse though when I would go wot and it was just hell. lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483 View Post
ill be the first to say that the autos aren't perfect! my 2nd to 3rd gear shift was horrible! especially in the mornings after the car had sat.. even worse though when I would go wot and it was just hell. lol
Same with my manual when it starts getting cold, first and second are Notchy. When its really cold(-25) its so bad I try to avoid 1st because I don't like the "clunk" into second. Takes a good 15-20 mins to get somewhat back to normal in cold temp. Maybe Ford should offer a cvt. Lol. No no just kidding!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Actually, prior to my performance tuner the shifts in the automatic were pretty rough when stopped. It would skip gears to conserve fuel and jerk you forward. With the performance tuner, that issue is no more.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
My shifts are smooth but slow. 3rd gear kicks very hard in any throttle or rpm. Idk why. I did the tsb on my rear end. It helped this issue along with the weird acceleration in a previous thread.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I have the M82 and love it.I was careful from the time it was brand new never to grind
the gears and never force any shifts.Shortly after I got it I put a Barton dual
shift bracket and SR short shifter in.

When its cold you just need to be gentleand let it warm up some.Of all the manual transmissions I have driven it is one of the smoothest.I guess I lucked out,
I don't even have much drive line vibration.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

when I got my stang I didn't know how to drive stick..
now that I do, I sincerely regret it..... :''''(
however, auto stang is better than no stang.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
when I got my stang I didn't know how to drive stick..
now that I do, I sincerely regret it..... :''''(
however, auto stang is better than no stang.
I drove a manual. Dang thing popped out of second and grinded R. Even the salesman was like "oh hell". I went with the auto but I bet if I was patient I could have found a better one. The Bly downside to mine is that its used. The other were 8 miles new.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I never even drove a MT82 before I ordered mine. I think I've lucked out so far. These cars are very particular about fully pushing in the clutch and not rushing the factory shifter setup though.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I never even drove a MT82 before I ordered mine. I think I've lucked out so far. These cars are very particular about fully pushing in the clutch and not rushing the factory shifter setup though.
+ 1, I never drove a manual before my stang! Its never popped out of gear and I found it to be remarkably smooth. It doesn't like winter very much though.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Same, mine has been nothing but perfect to me for 2 years now! One of the best manuals I have had TBH. It's always been smooth as butter!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ive had my stang for a year it has nearly 10k kms and I stored it over winter. It is very notchy when cold but manageable. There has been 4 instances where I had trouble going into 1st from reverse or 2nd to 3rd. And last week it did not engage first...grinded. for any of these instances...going into neutral and re engaging the clutch works. I think its the bracket. I've never popped out of gear. This is my first manual...I don't see any fun in an automatic sports car...but this isn't my dd. .I have an automatic SUV for that
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I must be lucky, never grinded or had trouble going into first from reverse, just the Notchy 1st to 2nd in winter. I agree though, the stock shifter bracket is garbage! That is getting changed in the coming days!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Aren't most manuals a little notchy when cold? I know my last car was and it was a dodge with a getrag.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah it seems to b the norm with the getrag in winter. When it gets really cold (-20+) its brutal! I try to avoid 1st altogether for 20-30mins until it starts to warm up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang