New lowering springs+rattle=WTF!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
New lowering springs+rattle=WTF!!

I lowered my 2012 1.5" with some new SR springs. I wanted to break them in easy so for the first week or so, I drove slow, like 20mph around post(Army), and finally decided to take a long trip. I drove about 100 miles and I started hearing a faint rattling in the rear of my pony. Only between 50-60 mph, though. Could that be them settling in or maybe something loose? Anyone got any ideas?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Find the nearest car lift and look

I think this is something your gonna have to look at your self. You need to find a lift to raise the car up and check out what is rattling before tragedy strikes.

It could be just a tail pipe or muffler but why take the chance it is not something coming apart.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I did. I can't find anything. I have an after market exhaust and its fine. Rims are fine. Checked it all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Strange

As long as you know nothing is loose and coming apart just drive it and see if it don't fix itself. If it still rattles it could be a loose baffle in a muffler. Rare but known to happen and drive mechanic's crazy looking for it.

A rattle can drive you crazy until you find out what it is. I had a Mini JCW before this Mustang and it had a terrible rattle on the passengers side. ( Not all the time) it drove me batty until I found it never happened when I had a passenger. Was it the passenger seat? NO, Was it the kick panel in the door? NO, It turned out to be the seat belt connection hitting the side panel just enough to rattle if it was not facing away from the panel.

I hope your rattle is this simple and easy to find. If your mustang has the rear seat backs you can lower you need to put them down to hear the rattle better. Have someone ride with you and let them listen.
Ronnie
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have mufflers. I have the Pypes pipe bombs. However, the back seat down idea? ****ing GENIUS! I never thought about that, man. Thanks for that. I'm definitely gonna see if I can't do that to hone the rattle in. Thanks again bro for the advice.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Probably not but something to check

Read this> rattling when taking off - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Ronnie
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, I will right now. Thanks man.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have those springs on my 12 too and no rattle issue or anything bro
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Not even maybe taking a drive with the music up? It's a really quiet rattle, but all I can think of is my rear axle is gonna fall off. I know that's extreme, but I worry about my baby so much. She's the first brand new car I've bought... It didn't happen at all the last sixty miles of the trip, but I'm still worried. You like them, though? I love the look on my 19" AMR's.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Check the end links on the sway bar and the shock bolts, but it sounds like it is an over the axle pipe hitting the suspension. it is lower and things are closer.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good point Siber... I didn't think to check that. Any solutions if that's the issue?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had to cut the OTA pipe about half an inch to slide both sides on my 2010 forward, no more clunk.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Did you get an adjustable panhard bar when you lowered it? Or get the car aligned after you did it? Could be the rear came out of alignment.
Dshores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have a panhard bar. No need to adjust it on a slam. All still is the same. And ummm... The rear is fixed... Doesn't get aligned... Cant be aligned... But yes, I had an alignment done by a professional.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang