Octane - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Octane

My brother has a 2012 v6 and wondering what's the highest octane he can run
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03fastblack View Post
Octane recommendations (v6)
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating
below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.
For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote:
In other words, if you have an untuned V6, you won't see much benefit from higher octane fuel.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Octane recommendations (v6)
Your vehicle is designed to use
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a
pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some stations offer fuels posted as
“Regular” with an octane rating
below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87 are not recommended.
Do not be concerned if your engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, see your authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage

Octane recommendations (5.0L V8 engine)
Your vehicle will run normally on 87 octane regular fuel without damaging the engine, but premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 (R+M)/2 or higher is recommended for best overall performance.
For Shelby GT500 octane requirements, see the Shelby GT500 Supplement.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

In other words, if you have an untuned V6, you won't see much benefit from higher octane fuel.
Would a higher octane be "better" for the engine, even if there is no noticeable difference? (Like in the "life span" of the engine)
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post

Would a higher octane be "better" for the engine, even if there is no noticeable difference? (Like in the "life span" of the engine)
Or gas mileage
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Or gas mileage
Hey your inbox is full bro just letting you know haha
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
if the engine can not modify its tune to burn the higher octane differently you get zero use out of it, octane is used to incease the amount of timing the car can handle without detonation. If your car is tuned to go up to say 93 then it will help. Older cars run 87 and have only one tune (does not change) so running anything else is useless.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if the engine can not modify its tune to burn the higher octane differently you get zero use out of it, octane is used to incease the amount of timing the car can handle without detonation. If your car is tuned to go up to say 93 then it will help. Older cars run 87 and have only one tune (does not change) so running anything else is useless.
I guess I can save some money by only putting 87 in my 2013 V6 (no modifications or tune changes)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
You can find this on the internet but supposedly the stock tune will advance the timing until knock or pinging occurs then back it off, higher octane fuel will theoretically boost power, but we are talking like 5 HP Max, I know I've seen dyno charts somewhere
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
So if I'm tuned for 93, it's safe to use, right? Even if the engine was designed for 87...
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The winner is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
You can find this on the internet but supposedly the stock tune will advance the timing until knock or pinging occurs then back it off, higher octane fuel will theoretically boost power, but we are talking like 5 HP Max, I know I've seen dyno charts somewhere
You are right 5 HP increase with 93 octane fuel, K&N drop-in maybe another 5,
maybe not. The new "Cyclone" 3.7 DOHC is a strong motor, enjoy!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
While it won't make nearly as much power as it would if it was tuned, you will see some minimal gains. Our engines can advance and ****** timing. http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike

While it won't make nearly as much power as it would if it was tuned, you will see some minimal gains. Our engines can advance and ****** timing. http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/
I appreciate this post and link, but I missed where it says about changing timing. Could you expand on it?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ford calls Ti-VCT, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a feature that allows a full 60 degrees of cam timing adjustment on the intake side and 50 degrees on the exhaust side. Meaning when using higher octane (premium or race fuel) the knock sensor will advance ignition timing to produce more power until they detect knock then will ****** it to optimize power and fuel economy. Being that I'm not an engineer nor claim to be I assume that is why they say the engine will produce considerably more power than the stock sae numbers. Like I stated it I don't think it will be significant gains compared to tuning but should be a little higher than stock #s. Is it worth the extra $ per gallon? Maybe, maybe not. Hope that helps a little, that's what I get out of it.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It is better for running through your injectors and everything and it burns cleaner. I even use 93 in my 2000 expedition with almost 200000 miles. It won't make your car worse and trust me our cars love higher octane. It will even run c16 without modification our cars are incredible
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
It is better for running through your injectors and everything and it burns cleaner. I even use 93 in my 2000 expedition with almost 200000 miles. It won't make your car worse and trust me our cars love higher octane. It will even run c16 without modification our cars are incredible
The Ford engineers did a great job to design the 3.7 to run with 87 octane. A huge reason why I bought it, as I drive quite a few miles per week, and love the performance and fuel economy I get on 87 octane fuel. A $12.00 bottle of techtron fuel additive every 5 thousand miles will keep your injectors and fuel system clean.
Run the 87, and try to use decent grades of fuel, such as Shell, Mobile, etc, as they add fuel additives for cleaning in all their grades.

If you bought a tuner and have a tune loaded that runs with the higher octane, then yes, run the higher octane fuel. Running 93 octane in a stock setup is not going to be worth the extra 20 or 30 cents a gallon IMO.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

If you get the Lucas fuel injection cleaner it works a lot better than the techron and its cheaper. Just thought I'd let you know we tested it out the other day..
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Ford calls Ti-VCT, variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves, a feature that allows a full 60 degrees of cam timing adjustment on the intake side and 50 degrees on the exhaust side. Meaning when using higher octane (premium or race fuel) the knock sensor will advance ignition timing to produce more power until they detect knock then will ****** it to optimize power and fuel economy. Being that I'm not an engineer nor claim to be I assume that is why they say the engine will produce considerably more power than the stock sae numbers. Like I stated it I don't think it will be significant gains compared to tuning but should be a little higher than stock #s. Is it worth the extra $ per gallon? Maybe, maybe not. Hope that helps a little, that's what I get out of it.
Well said..
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The Ford engineers did a great job to design the 3.7 to run with 87 octane. A huge reason why I bought it, as I drive quite a few miles per week, and love the performance and fuel economy I get on 87 octane fuel. A $12.00 bottle of techtron fuel additive every 5 thousand miles will keep your injectors and fuel system clean.
Run the 87, and try to use decent grades of fuel, such as Shell, Mobile, etc, as they add fuel additives for cleaning in all their grades.

If you bought a tuner and have a tune loaded that runs with the higher octane, then yes, run the higher octane fuel. Running 93 octane in a stock setup is not going to be worth the extra 20 or 30 cents a gallon IMO.
Thanks for the info!

When mine gets back from the repair shop, and I can finally get the chance to take it from 4k to 5k (total) I will give that fuel additive a try.

How are you supposed to use it?
Put it in on an empty tank and then fill?
Mid tank?
Or full (or almost full) and then that?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post

Thanks for the info!

When mine gets back from the repair shop, and I can finally get the chance to take it from 4k to 5k (total) I will give that fuel additive a try.

How are you supposed to use it?
Put it in on an empty tank and then fill?
Mid tank?
Or full (or almost full) and then that?
I'm curious also. The manual says not to use additives.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel additives don't do crap its a waste of money I promise. Fuel injection clean is about the only thing that works. Octane booster does not even do a full octane higher
Old 04-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fuel additives don't do crap its a waste of money I promise. Fuel injection clean is about the only thing that works. Octane booster does not even do a full octane higher
And this here is the problem.. one person says "this is this" and then someone else says "no, this is that"

Anyone else have insights?
We can go democracy on this thing and say the side with the most votes win
Old 04-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

For the few bucks your gonna spend on octaine booster you could have just put in premium. No?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For the few bucks your gonna spend on octaine booster you could have just put in premium. No?
+111 and you are actually getting the octane
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What about fuel additives?

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well it depends on what kind of additives you are doing
Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just an FYI, Techron is patented, about the only cleaner recommended by chemists that know, and its only 6.96 at Wally-World. Last week it was marked 4.97 at my local Wall-Mart and I took the last two bottles on the shelf. I have been using it in my Silverado for a few years now.

Next issue, manual says not to use additives. Well Shell and Chevron and other major grades of fuel put additives in the gas, so better not put gas in the car then since the manual says not to use bargain fuels and use major band names

Next issue, how do you "really" know Lucas cleans fuel injectors better than Techron? Just asking, not saying

Next issue, folks have had to buy Octane booster for decades since Tetraethyl Lead went the way of the Dyna Soar [pun intended to those that know AeroSpace]. Some brands are probably & likely crap. But are you stating to the NOS folks who say they give 3 points of Octane on their branded octane booster product that they are not being truthful?
Again, Just asking, not saying
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Just an FYI, Techron is patented, about the only cleaner recommended by chemists that know, and its only 6.96 at Wally-World. Last week it was marked 4.97 at my local Wall-Mart and I took the last two bottles on the shelf. I have been using it in my Silverado for a few years now.

Next issue, manual says not to use additives. Well Shell and Chevron and other major grades of fuel put additives in the gas, so better not put gas in the car then since the manual says not to use bargain fuels and use major band names

Next issue, how do you "really" know Lucas cleans fuel injectors better than Techron? Just asking, not saying

Next issue, folks have had to buy Octane booster for decades since Tetraethyl Lead went the way of the Dyna Soar [pun intended to those that know AeroSpace]. Some brands are probably & likely crap. But are you stating to the NOS folks who say they give 3 points of Octane on their branded octane booster product that they are not being truthful?
Again, Just asking, not saying
Because we have two twin cars at the shop like literally almost the same amount of miles and put one in one car one in the other and tested how much gas and how clean it was came put and Lucas's was better tested it again in 5,000 miles and way less gunk. I would say not truthful just trying to make money that's how the businesses world works its unfortunate but its how it is
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I have worked close to top brand marketing and advertising in America for almost 2 decades. Most (but never all) brand market companies have real substantial proof to backup their marketing claims.

Are you saying again, NOS 3.1 Octane boost claims are not true?

4 out of 5 Car Enthusiasts want to know

On the Lucas issue I can't dispute what you are testing, Trust in God, all others bring data; and that is what you are doing. Just however that I know several chemists in industry have said in the past Techron was the only Injector cleaner that works. Looks like from your testing and if the data holds, now there will be two.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm not saying completely false it might help but not enough for what it costs. Well I've been working on cars for a long times and I am that 1 of of the 5 that doesn't agree
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I'm not saying completely false it might help but not enough for what it costs. Well I've been working on cars for a long times and I am that 1 of of the 5 that doesn't agree
+1 I'm also 1 in 5. That said its not a bad thing but ill just put in 94.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Where do you get 94?! I've never heard of that
Old 04-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where do you get 94?! I've never heard of that
Petro Canada! They call it "ultra"
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Can you tell the difference?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I feel better throttle response compared to 87, but only put it in once in a while.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

How much more is it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang