transmission fluid change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
transmission fluid change

On the 2011 plus automatics can one drain the automatic transmission fluid themselves or does it have to be done at a dealership? Is there a transmission fluid dip stick?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm going to do this in a couple months. So far i've read, there is no dip stick. You refill until the fluid runs out of the fill hole like we do when we change the rear end lube.

Remember you are only changing maybe half of the fluid, which is good enough for me. Changing the filter is my main concern anyway.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I'm going to do this in a couple months. So far i've read, there is no dip stick. You refill until the fluid runs out of the fill hole like we do when we change the rear end lube.

Remember you are only changing maybe half of the fluid, which is good enough for me. Changing the filter is my main concern anyway.
I have an automatic does that matter to what your speaking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I think Dave has an automatic too, so I'm sure its relevant to your question.

What mileage do you have that you want to change the trans fluid?
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePwny View Post

I think Dave has an automatic too, so I'm sure its relevant to your question.

What mileage do you have that you want to change the trans fluid?
I have 22k. I will change it around 30k. I want to do it myself if I can
Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
There is no dipstick. I've looked. I'm about to creep on 70,000 and I need to change all the fluids again besides the oil. It was just done.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
There is no dipstick. I've looked. I'm about to creep on 70,000 and I need to change all the fluids again besides the oil. It was just done.
So, how do I change the automatic transmission fluid myself or does that need to be done by the dealership? If there is no dip stick then how can one fill it up without the special machine the dealership uses
Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have an automatic too. I only have a little over 18,000 miles but, i overkill everything on my maintenance. I'm just wondering if the filter screen has anything in it
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Read the responses on the other post on this subject that is on the same page (at least today). I'd flush it at 30K (I did mine). Get it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop. Be sure the pan is dropped and the filter is changed too.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter will not get all the transmission fluid out. It would be like changing only 3 quarts of oil from your engine; leaving dirty fluid behind does not make sense. It needs to be flushed to get it all out. It's expensive;around $140.00 to $170.00 to do a proper flush, but worth the money knowing your automatic will last.

Heat is the number one factor for automatic transmission failure; it breaks down the additives in the oil as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Read the responses on the other post on this subject that is on the same page (at least today). I'd flush it at 30K (I did mine). Get it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop. Be sure the pan is dropped and the filter is changed too.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter will not get all the transmission fluid out. It would be like changing only 3 quarts of oil from your engine; leaving dirty fluid behind does not make sense. It needs to be flushed to get it all out. It's expensive;around $140.00 to $170.00 to do a proper flush, but worth the money knowing your automatic will last.

Heat is the number one factor for automatic transmission failure; it breaks down the additives in the oil as well.
Thanks bro.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

You bet. I've been doing flushes on my F150 since I had it new at 30 to 40K intervals. It has 210K on it now, and I've never had a transmission problem.

Some used to argue that a flush can dislodge crud and cause it to lodge in a valve body hole, and cause transmission failure after the flush. If you have 100K on the original fluid, then that might be true with the older type flush devices. If you flush it every 30 to 40K, I would think you'd not have any crud in the system. Plus, the new flush devices used do not "back flush" with high pressure, but rather inject new fluid into the send/return line from the automatic trans to the cooler (either the radiator or external trans cooler).
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
You bet. I've been doing flushes on my F150 since I had it new at 30 to 40K intervals. It has 210K on it now, and I've never had a transmission problem.

Some used to argue that a flush can dislodge crud and cause it to lodge in a valve body hole, and cause transmission failure after the flush. If you have 100K on the original fluid, then that might be true with the older type flush devices. If you flush it every 30 to 40K, I would think you'd not have any crud in the system. Plus, the new flush devices used do not "back flush" with high pressure, but rather inject new fluid into the send/return line from the automatic trans to the cooler (either the radiator or external trans cooler).
How vital is this for the MT82 guys? Just curious
MyLittlePwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePwny View Post
How vital is this for the MT82 guys? Just curious
Not as much, other than getting gear bits out of the case from mis-shifting! Since the manual transmissions do not have clutch plates that are intended to slip (like automatics do), they do not generate as much heat, and do not have to change as often. They also use a much thicker viscosity oil.

Here's a link that explains the two differences:

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques124_3.html
Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

So, how do I change the automatic transmission fluid myself or does that need to be done by the dealership? If there is no dip stick then how can one fill it up without the special machine the dealership uses
I didn't know they had a machine? I thought maybe drop the pan and just put some in it and reattach lol
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I didn't know they had a machine? I thought maybe drop the pan and just put some in it and reattach lol
Apparently you can't change the fluid yourself and have to go to the dealership or transmission place for that.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Apparently you can't change the fluid yourself and have to go to the dealership or transmission place for that.
You can do it yourself but i recommend havin a shop do it. You gotta have a pump to put the oil in and the way you check it is on the drain plug, theres a bolt in the middle of the plug take it out and if nothin comes out its low if it pours out its full, they say to plug it when it starts dripping. But you have to check it with the vehicle at running temperature
Sbales88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post

You can do it yourself but i recommend havin a shop do it. You gotta have a pump to put the oil in and the way you check it is on the drain plug, theres a bolt in the middle of the plug take it out and if nothin comes out its low if it pours out its full, they say to plug it when it starts dripping. But you have to check it with the vehicle at running temperature
Lol. I'll let a shop with a new machine do it . LMAO. That way I don't jack up my transmission. Lol

I got a 05 Mazda. Unplug it and drain. Fill back up in dip stick hole. Lol. Nice and easy
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Lol. I'll let a shop with a new machine do it . LMAO. That way I don't jack up my transmission. Lol

I got a 05 Mazda. Unplug it and drain. Fill back up in dip stick hole. Lol. Nice and easy
Haha lol yeah its a pain in the a** we did my brothers once, never again!
Sbales88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Bales View Post

Haha lol yeah its a pain in the a** we did my brothers once, never again!
Amen to that brother. Amen. Let the mechanics do their voodo. Lol
Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There might be confusion with manual transmissions and automatic transmissions here. Automatic transmissions require a machine to do a proper flush of the transmission fluid. Yes, you can drop the pan to remove about 4 quarts of fluid, then change the automatic transmission filter. However, this does not get all the automatic transmissions fluid out. Maybe a third of it. A flush device gets it all out and replaced with fresh fluid.

A manual transmission does indeed have a drain plug. Remove the upper fill plug first (they can be the most difficult to remove; don't want to be stuk with draining first if you cannot get the fill plug removed!). Then pump in the new fluid until it's right at the top of the fill plug opening (or about a half inch below the top; check with a repair manual to be sure). Manual transmissions are much easier to do, for sure.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Anyone using B&M Trick Shift for auto tranny flushes?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I watched one of those Saturday car shows use the stuff during a taped episode this past weekend. I forgot about that stuff! I used it once in a 1976 Trans-Am I owned, when I installed a shift kit plate to firm up the shifts.

Don't have it in my automatic now though; just kept with the synthetic auto transmission fluid.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:52 AM   #23

Headers

Quote:
I have an automatic too. I only have a little over 18,000 miles but, i overkill everything on my maintenance. I'm just wondering if the filter screen has anything in it
David, I see that you have BBK headers, how do you like their performance, sound, etc.? I too have a V6 auto and thinking about headers, but worried that with an automatic they would make a long drawn out moan when riding one gear too long. Also what is the sound in the cabin like?

thanks
Dj
211Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Glad to see the search works, but you may want to consider grabbing a thread specifically on headers, as this one (old as it is) pertains to changing the automatic transmission fluid.

You may want to start a new thread on this subject, or search on headers to get some better replies.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Glad to see the search works, but you may want to consider grabbing a thread specifically on headers, as this one (old as it is) pertains to changing the automatic transmission fluid.

You may want to start a new thread on this subject, or search on headers to get some better replies.
Hey Bucko since we're off topic, what happened to the v6 section. Just a few months ago this was a high traffic area.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211Ginger View Post
David, I see that you have BBK headers, how do you like their performance, sound, etc.? I too have a V6 auto and thinking about headers, but worried that with an automatic they would make a long drawn out moan when riding one gear too long. Also what is the sound in the cabin like?

thanks
Dj
This video is mine with 3.31 gears. I have changed to 3.73 gears but don't have a video with those gears. https://youtu.be/WlebQLZc-rg
Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Coyote Red in sport mode

Many forums as well as sections are slow due to Facebomb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_DSCN1314.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	230962  
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The 11-14 v6 section is slowing down because everybody is jumping into ecoboost or gt.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Do you guys recommend i change my transmission fluid on my "Manual" its got 66000 on it now and never had its trans fluid changed....do i even need to ever..?
bigkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yep, got mine done at 13k, put in RP

LG G4
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

So did you end up taking it to a shop to have it done? How much did they charge you?
Renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:53 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedd View Post
So did you end up taking it to a shop to have it done? How much did they charge you?
I had my local Ford dealer do mine a year and a half ago. They dropped the pan and changed the filter then did a low pressure flush. I watched them do it. All this just cost $200. To me it was a lot easier to let them do it, than for me to do a couple pan drops in my driveway
Old 05-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I had my local Ford dealer do mine a year and a half ago. They dropped the pan and changed the filter then did a low pressure flush. I watched them do it. All this just cost $200. To me it was a lot easier to let them do it, than for me to do a couple pan drops in my driveway
You watched them do it? lol I would be the same way I do not trust shops. They could easily just say they did it and not do it and take your money. I am surprised they let you back in the shop some have denied me entry before due to liability claims
Renownedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedd View Post
You watched them do it? lol I would be the same way I do not trust shops. They could easily just say they did it and not do it and take your money. I am surprised they let you back in the shop some have denied me entry before due to liability claims
I watched through a window and at the service desk. They let me go back to look at the old filter and the pan before they cleaned up everything for the new filter. There was some black looking stuff in the pan and on the magnet. Not a lot, just glad to get that crap out of my transmission. My wife and I have a good relationship with the service manager and he helps us out on my Mustang and our (wife's) 2014 Edge Limited.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang