Shifter Bracket Install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Shifter Bracket Install

Got to my friend's garage bright and early this morning. Put her up on the lift and got to work. On a lift, it's very, very simple. Undo the bolts, yank the shifter extension down to knock the retaining clip loose, pull off bracket, then slowly reassembly on the shifter. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. I was done in under 30mins from the time we pulled the car in until I left.

I cannot stress this enough: If you own a MT82, get a bracket. I absolutely love the thing, it makes it shift like a whole different car. It makes the shifter have a bit more mechanical feel at times popping into gear, but it's smoother and way more precise. It doesn't feel like a squishy banana at times. I haven't tried any full throttle runs yet, but I'm sure it won't disappoint.

On a side note, glad I got it on a lift. I think my pinion seal is leaking. I'm going to have to get an appointment at the dealership and get it looked at. Something is leaking and it's only wet from the front of the diff to the back, underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftbracket1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	734.5 KB
ID:	101532   Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftbracket2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	101533  

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
ya good thing u got it on a lift. as u drive it more you will really love the bracket. it made a huge difference in my shifts.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Do you know what the difference betwen the barton 2 post and reg bracket? I'm thinking about getting this
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
This one relies on a urethane bushing. It still has a bit of slop/give to let the shifter move fore and aft during acceleration and stopping.

The two post is 100% solid. It bolts to the car, the other half bolts to the shifter box and has 2 solid sliding pins holding the halves together. This lets it get the fore/aft movement without any additional up/down/side movement the urethane bushing would allow.

Is it worth it? I decided it wasn't. I'm sure it makes a bit of difference, but not the $40 extra that I would have spent. Plus, I bet NVH goes up a lot more with the 2 post. The bushing in the one piece lets some of that dissipate.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
This one relies on a urethane bushing. It still has a bit of slop/give to let the shifter move fore and aft during acceleration and stopping.

The two post is 100% solid. It bolts to the car, the other half bolts to the shifter box and has 2 solid sliding pins holding the halves together. This lets it get the fore/aft movement without any additional up/down/side movement the urethane bushing would allow.

Is it worth it? I decided it wasn't. I'm sure it makes a bit of difference, but not the $40 extra that I would have spent. Plus, I bet NVH goes up a lot more with the 2 post. The bushing in the one piece lets some of that dissipate.
$40 extra? It was like $20 extra when i bought it I thought
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's 40$ now. I ordered the single piece bracket last night but was torn between that one and the two post. I figured the two post might b a little overkill for a dd and I was also worried about more noise from it seeing how there's no bushing to help dampen the NVH.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
It's 40$ now. I ordered the single piece bracket last night but was torn between that one and the two post. I figured the two post might b a little overkill for a dd and I was also worried about more noise from it seeing how there's no bushing to help dampen the NVH.
Yea I haven't installed it yet but I'm hoping it's only a little louder
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang