Flywheel issue? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Flywheel issue?

About 2 months ago I had 3.55 gears installed. Recently I've been noticing odd deceleration issues mainly lower gears. It seems like when Im decelerating the car seems to jerk really hard. It's hard to describe exactly but it seems like the flywheel bounces between decelerating and accelerating. In a parking lot in first gear with the clutch completely engaged it feels like it engine brakes then coasts then brakes again causing the car to jerk. Does anyone have any input?
Dgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
With this new gearing, maybe the PCM needs to re-learn the new RPM gearing range you now have with the 3.55 gearing you installed. Give it a few days of driving to see if this symptom clears.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Could be the clutch is glazed

It sounds like a slightly slipping clutch, It could be glazed.

Other then that it could be the dual mass crap pressure plates they use now a days to cushen the torque impact on the drive train. ( Not likly but possable)

I vote for the bad clutch

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Maybe some additional information from the driver can help...been doing any "spirited" driving? Doing any power/quick shifting? Ronnie948 could be on to something.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have been driving it hard. I've autocrossed and taken it to the drag strip a half dozen times. It could definitely be a slipping clutch. Does it help anyone to know that it only occurs when the clutch is fully engaged and I'm not on the throttle or brake? It doesn't feel like the clutch is disengaging necessarily but it feels like its just switching back and forth between heavy engine breaking and coasting, engagements feel strong and there's no grinding of any kind between gears
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Any funny smells? Did u check the fluid level for clutch? Smell fluid to see if ssmells burned? Check to see if clutch fluid is leaking? If the dmf was coming apart it would make a helluva lot of noise. Same with throw out bearing. Does it slip on hard accel at high rpm at all? Is the pedal feeling soft or dropping to the floor at all when depressing it? It does sound like the clutch is slipping/ glazed or you got fluid on the disc from a leak maybe. Check the fluid and line.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

No funny smells and I still have firm pedal pressure
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Drive it easy for the next few weeks. May have glazed it. Might be able to get it to grab good again if u go easy on it for the next few. Put clutch to flloor for every shift. Dont rev it too high. Easy at lights and taking off from stops.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=647338

This tread sounds similar to the issues I'm having

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang