Is an aftermarket alarm system from Viper worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Region: Delaware
Is an aftermarket alarm system from Viper worth it?

Hi all. Is it worth it to get an aftermarket alarm system put in m 2013 V6 Premium, or is the stock passive system good enough. of course the more security the better, but for four hundred $ I'd rather put toward mods. I have window etching and already and coverage for if the car is stolen.
jspeed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Until my current model 2012 V6 Premium I always had convertible pony cars. The motion sensor for when you leave your top down makes viper awesome. So to me it depends on if you have a convertible or now. Outside of that stock is just fine which I'm running with now
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed82 View Post
Hi all. Is it worth it to get an aftermarket alarm system put in m 2013 V6 Premium, or is the stock passive system good enough. of course the more security the better, but for four hundred $ I'd rather put toward mods. I have window etching and already and coverage for if the car is stolen.
I had this same exact thought last summer. I wanted a viper system, but it was going to cost me like $500. Wasn't worth it to me. So I got this from the Ford Website, dealer installed it, and it works great. Works with your current key so you don't need anything else on your keychain.
http://accessories.ford.com/alarm.html

The basic passive system is just an ignition lock, (It basically makes it impossible to hotwire or start the car without the key) But it does not have any active alarm, as in a shock sensor or anything like that. The link I posted does. It's a shock sensor, that has two phases. It beeps once if someone bumps into your car or pulls on your door handles, and actually goes off if someone breaks in or opens a door. You should check it out. Viper is a huge ripoff. The only cool thing about viper is that it will tell your key Fob if the alarm has gone off, like if you are not near your car. Not worth the extra $300 IMO
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
It seems this comes up from time to time.All we can do to protect our rides is give it as much protection as we think helps, but the smart crooks can still get in. The best is to make it difficult for them to go on to the next car.

Buy the window decals that say your car is equipped with <place name brand alarm system here>....this may make the crook move on. These are available on ebay.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It seems this comes up from time to time.All we can do to protect our rides is give it as much protection as we think helps, but the smart crooks can still get in. The best is to make it difficult for them to go on to the next car.

Buy the window decals that say your car is equipped with <place name brand alarm system here>....this may make the crook move on. These are available on ebay.
Getting your vin number etched in your windows will also lower the chances of someone breaking in by 15%. Not to bad, considering the police in my city do it for free.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I used to consider leaving a half starved pit bull in my vehicle, except that's cruelty to animals, which I would never do.

I just keep it in the Garage when it's not being driven, and try to park it in well lit, populated areas. If they break into it, well, that's what I have insurance for.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

I had this same exact thought last summer. I wanted a viper system, but it was going to cost me like $500. Wasn't worth it to me. So I got this from the Ford Website, dealer installed it, and it works great. Works with your current key so you don't need anything else on your keychain.
http://accessories.ford.com/alarm.html

The basic passive system is just an ignition lock, (It basically makes it impossible to hotwire or start the car without the key) But it does not have any active alarm, as in a shock sensor or anything like that. The link I posted does. It's a shock sensor, that has two phases. It beeps once if someone bumps into your car or pulls on your door handles, and actually goes off if someone breaks in or opens a door. You should check it out. Viper is a huge ripoff. The only cool thing about viper is that it will tell your key Fob if the alarm has gone off, like if you are not near your car. Not worth the extra $300 IMO
How much was the install?
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
How much was the install?
It was $250 installed. (That includes the install, work, and the alarm itself) On the page I linked, there is a button that says get local quote. Click that, enter your zip, and choose a dealer. It'll give you a price. Mine was $250. Also, they HAVE to do it for that price. I went to two dealerships. The first one wanted something like $600 for it. I said hell no, Ford website says $250 installed. He didn't listen to me, and I took it to the dealership across town, they did it for $250 no problem. So be sure to stand your ground if they ask for more.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It was $250 installed. (That includes the install, work, and the alarm itself) On the page I linked, there is a button that says get local quote. Click that, enter your zip, and choose a dealer. It'll give you a price. Mine was $250. Also, they HAVE to do it for that price. I went to two dealerships. The first one wanted something like $600 for it. I said hell no, Ford website says $250 installed. He didn't listen to me, and I took it to the dealership across town, they did it for $250 no problem. So be sure to stand your ground if they ask for more.
Lol trust me im a really good talker when it comes to these types of things. I convinced them to give me free oil changes, washes, polishes etc free for two years lmfao
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Lol trust me im a really good talker when it comes to these types of things. I convinced them to give me free oil changes, washes, polishes etc free for two years lmfao
Lol, yeah. Ford dealerships are known for trying to nickle and dime you
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol, yeah. Ford dealerships are known for trying to nickle and dime you
They didnt bother me when i rolled in with sooooo much warranty voiding parts they just did what i asked and gave me my car back with a smirk on their faces
Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You can't hardly stop the tow crooks

Here in Florida they like to just go to a busy mall parking lot with their tow rig on their pick-up and tow your car away if they want it. It takes less the "sixty seconds"
Most people just pull into the parking space and the steering wheels are nice and straight. If it is a rear wheel drive like our Mustangs it is very easy to just lift from the rear and drive away. Especially with the steering locked nice and straight. They don't even have to get into the car to steal it.

I always try to back into a spot and never park with my front wheels straight. It makes it a lot more difficult to steal then just pulled in with the wheels straight. They are looking for easy, fast, hook-ups that they can have in a few seconds without getting out of the snatch & drive tow trucks they love to use.

I think personally that car thieves should get the DEATH penalty for the first offense when caught.

I had a 69 Z28 stolen back in 1969 and hated car thieves ever since.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Here in Florida they like to just go to a busy mall parking lot with their tow rig on their pick-up and tow your car away if they want it. It takes less the "sixty seconds"
Most people just pull into the parking space and the steering wheels are nice and straight. If it is a rear wheel drive like our Mustangs it is very easy to just lift from the rear and drive away. Especially with the steering locked nice and straight. They don't even have to get into the car to steal it.

I always try to back into a spot and never park with my front wheels straight. It makes it a lot more difficult to steal then just pulled in with the wheels straight. They are looking for easy, fast, hook-ups that they can have in a few seconds without getting out of the snatch & drive tow trucks they love to use.

I think personally that car thieves should get the DEATH penalty for the first offense when caught.

Ronnie
Wow good tips Ronnie. From now on ima park in reverse.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
I always back in, mainly because I have a backup camera, and I want to get my moneys worth. lol. Although, i'm sort of OCD, so I always make sure my tires are strait when parking. IDK why, just something about them sticking out from under the wheel-well bothers me.

If you got the security package that was offered as a package when you ordered your mustang, it'll have a tilt sensor in it. Then if the car changes angles when the ignition is off, the alarm goes off. Its a nifty feature.

The best way to defeat a security system is to pop the hood and unhook the battery. Some high end cars have battery backups dedicated to the alarm, but those cars are in the six figure range. You can have one added on to any car for a few hundred bucks, but its not worth it imo
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Alarms are not heard by most people.

Well, Maybe they do hear them but they sure don't care if your car is getting broke into or stolen. How many times do you hear car alarms going off ? When you do hear one going off I'm sure you will always call the police to investigate. I would guess that about 75% or more the alarms are totally useless. I have seen kids with loud boom boxes in their civics going through a parking lot just to set off the car alarms. The one's with the pager that will alert you if it goes off if you are in a Movie, or restaurant are the best. At least you can run out and watch your car being towed away.

There is not much you can do if some thief really wants your car. If they want it they can just wait for you and car jack it.

I just try to park in a place that I can back in and turn my wheels to make them work for it if they want it.

Ronnie
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #16

Region: Delaware
well cancelled my appointment, and am going to use the money to get the cheaper ford one, that i can keep my key and not have one more thing on my key ring. i'll spend less and that means, i can spend more on some fun upgrades.
jspeed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed82 View Post
well cancelled my appointment, and am going to use the money to get the cheaper ford one, that i can keep my key and not have one more thing on my key ring. i'll spend less and that means, i can spend more on some fun upgrades.
Great idea. That's what I decided 6 months ago and haven't regretted it. When your at your dealer, ask for wheel locking bolts. They'll be like $50 (for all 4), and they will replace a nut on each of your tires, and that will prevent anyone from stealing your tires, so you don't return to your car and see it up on blocks.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, Maybe they do hear them but they sure don't care if your car is getting broke into or stolen. How many times do you hear car alarms going off ? When you do hear one going off I'm sure you will always call the police to investigate. I would guess that about 75% or more the alarms are totally useless. I have seen kids with loud boom boxes in their civics going through a parking lot just to set off the car alarms. The one's with the pager that will alert you if it goes off if you are in a Movie, or restaurant are the best. At least you can run out and watch your car being towed away.

There is not much you can do if some thief really wants your car. If they want it they can just wait for you and car jack it.

I just try to park in a place that I can back in and turn my wheels to make them work for it if they want it.

Ronnie
That is true. If a pro wants your car, he's going to get it. No matter what type of security you have.

The basic alarm has two main points. To detour anyone that might want to break into your car to steal items inside, and to alert anyone in the area that your car is possibly being broken into. No, no one calls the cops when a car alarm goes off, but EVERYONE immediately looks in that direction for a few seconds to see what's going on, and if there is a guy with a crowbar standing on a pile of broken glass, then they'll call the cops, and possibly get a picture of him.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ill tell you what. I got car jacked at gun point a few years back and after I got my car back I put a viper car alarm in it. Now I owned a Honda civic which is the most commonly stolen car in the states. I am completely sold on it. I was in the mall and someone was trying to break in and my key chain starts singing letting me know and I had a couple other attempts on my car, after the alarm was installed I never had to worry again. They tried to get under the hood to turn the alarm off, or tired to get in the car, but regardless of where you are that alarm is loud and draws attention. Plus if I'm home and my key chain starts singing I'm comin at you with a 12 gauge! As soon as I get back to the states I'm getting one on my car. They maybe expensive but in a bad situation it's the alarm system you want.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpow24 View Post
Ill tell you what. I got car jacked at gun point a few years back and after I got my car back I put a viper car alarm in it. Now I owned a Honda civic which is the most commonly stolen car in the states. I am completely sold on it. I was in the mall and someone was trying to break in and my key chain starts singing letting me know and I had a couple other attempts on my car, after the alarm was installed I never had to worry again. They tried to get under the hood to turn the alarm off, or tired to get in the car, but regardless of where you are that alarm is loud and draws attention. Plus if I'm home and my key chain starts singing I'm comin at you with a 12 gauge! As soon as I get back to the states I'm getting one on my car. They maybe expensive but in a bad situation it's the alarm system you want.
+1 Viper is expensive but you get what you pay for!
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes, The pager is the only way to go

I love this:
ashpow24 said:
Quote:
if I'm home and my key chain starts singing I'm comin at you with a 12 gauge!

Like I said, The only one to have is the one's with the pager that alerts you when your Mustang is Tampered with. Just an alarm or horn blowing will not protect the car much at all if you are not around to see whats happening.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang