Poor rear deck lid quality!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Poor rear deck lid quality!!

Can't say for sure if AM makes the black out deck lid panel. But I am not happy with the fitment on my car. It is perfect around the edges but the cut out hole is misaligned by about a 1/4 inch. Close up with in 15 feet I do not not like how it looks. I'm a machinist by trade and I inspect the parts I machine to make sure they will fit. Who ever made this must not have a templet of the deck lid to make sure it fits after it was cut out. I spent $50 for a piece of plastic that is stuck with 3M tape. This sucks!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3976116962.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	101893

Name:	image-1010941071.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	101894
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Can't help you with the alignment issue but even the deck lids that come with the cars are 3M taped on.

Nope I'm thinking of something else, don't mind me.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sucks man, maybe see if you can exchange it?
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
AM does not manufacture anything they are just a retailer. But you might want to call them they may be able to help you out
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
Can't say for sure if AM makes the black out deck lid panel. But I am not happy with the fitment on my car. It is perfect around the edges but the cut out hole is misaligned by about a 1/4 inch. Close up with in 15 feet I do not not like how it looks. I'm a machinist by trade and I inspect the parts I make to make sure they will fit. Who ever made this must not have a templet of the deck lid to make sure it fits after it was cut out. I spent $50 for a piece of plastic that is stuck with 3M tape. This sucks!!!
Pm Dan or call customer service.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Call AM they will make it right for you. That must be a defect for sure. You'll need to send it back to them.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Can't help you with the alignment issue but even the deck lids that come with the cars are 3M taped on.
The guys who have factory deck lids are happy they fit their cars!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The guys who have factory deck lids are happy they fit their cars!!!
Valid point
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog View Post
Call AM they will make it right for you. That must be a defect for sure. You'll need to send it back to them.
I sure hope it is a defect... I would hate to see the next one not fit properly... I have faith in AM i know they are a great company. These panel have been out of stock for some time. I wonder if the company that makes them did not rush the job and AM has a batch if bad panels. I think I will ask them to check if the next one is correct before sending it out.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I sure hope it is a defect... I would hate to see the next one not fit properly... I have faith in AM i know they are a great company.
This might be an a hole question, but why didn't you test fit it before you attached it with the 3m tape
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

This might be an a hole question, but why didn't you test fit it before you attached it with the 3m tape
I held it in place with my hand and it look ok at the time i guess at the angle i could not see the bottom of the hole was off. There should be no issue with a part going on my Mustang. That part should have been check at the manufacture to make sure it fit properly. It got threw quality. FYI this is not my fault. If I would have seen it before applying, It would still have been junk and needed sent back. So your question it mute. Stuck on my car or not I would be pi$$ed either way.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Also if they do send another bad one, test for and just work it so the gap is all around so at least its clean looking. My magnetic was a little off. I quickly fixed this with paint
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3132983491.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	520.0 KB
ID:	101895  
Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
Wrong. They're attached with about 12 physical clips. No tape on the deck lid cover at all.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Wrong. They're attached with about 12 physical clips. No tape on the deck lid cover at all.
Ermahgerd you're right. I'm not sure what I'm thinking of that uses 3M tape.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Quote:
Can't say for sure if AM makes the black out deck lid panel. But I am not happy with the fitment on my car. It is perfect around the edges but the cut out hole is misaligned by about a 1/4 inch. Close up with in 15 feet I do not not like how it looks. I'm a machinist by trade and I inspect the parts I machine to make sure they will fit. Who ever made this must not have a templet of the deck lid to make sure it fits after it was cut out. I spent $50 for a piece of plastic that is stuck with 3M tape. This sucks!!!
I'm really sorry to see that your deck lid doesn't fit properly. It looks like there may have been an issue when manufacturing this product. This is the first I'm hearing of this issue, I'm going to head over to the warehouse and pull a few of these to make sure it's just a defect and not a bad batch!

Shoot me a PM with your order number included. I'm going to have my CS manager give you call and get you set up with an exchange. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and I really appreciate your patience!

Please let me know if you need any further assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

I'm really sorry to see that your deck lid doesn't fit properly. It looks like there may have been an issue when manufacturing this product. This is the first I'm hearing of this issue, I'm going to head over to the warehouse and pull a few of these to make sure it's just a defect and not a bad batch!

Shoot me a PM with your order number included. I'm going to have my CS manager give you call and get you set up with an exchange. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and I really appreciate your patience!

-Dan
^^^^ why AM is so great. Amazing customer service!
Nfreeman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Can I ask why a thread was started with a title like "Poor American Muscle Quality" without any contact with the company was attempted, and no knowledge of whether or not they even manufactured the product? People should think before posting. If something is wrong, give the retailer the opportunity to fix it before you go on a forum like this that they give discounts to and treat us with such respect and honesty.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

definately a defect I got mine in and put on in march and have had no issues other than the 3m tape not wanting to stick on one side at the top. I just bought some more tape and redid it and it's fine now
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinta1 View Post
Can I ask why a thread was started with a title like "Poor American Muscle Quality" without any contact with the company was attempted, and no knowledge of whether or not they even manufactured the product? People should think before posting. If something is wrong, give the retailer the opportunity to fix it before you go on a forum like this that they give discounts to and treat us with such respect and honesty.
Looks like to me people also do not read replies to post's either. And assumes contact was not done. Never Assume dude unless you know all the facts. I stated that I do not know if they manufactured them. Never said they did. The only mistake I did was the topic line. But if you would have taken the time to read "ALL" the replies you would see I have tons of respect for AM. I just F'd up my topic line. For that I apologize to Dan and all of American Muscle employees!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Looks like to me people also do not read replies to post's either. And assumes contact was not done. Never Assume dude unless you know all the facts. I stated that I do not know if they manufactured them. Never said they did. The only mistake I did was the topic line. But if you would have taken the time to read "ALL" the replies you would see I have tons of respect for AM. I just F'd up my topic line. For that I apologize to Dan and all of American Muscle employees!!!
My whole point was the title of the thread being what it was before contact was made, or an opportunity given to educate/correct the problem.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:

My whole point was the title of the thread being what it was before contact was made, or an opportunity given to educate/correct the problem.
Wow my apology was not enough!!! You need to state your point again. Sheeeze!!! Whatever Dude!!! I got it no need to beat a dead horse... K!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Your apology was sweet, your attempt at dissing me for asking why someone who "respects the company" would go to a message board and post an eye catching thread title in order to vent frustrations was why I restated my original question.

Sorry if that was so hard to follow.

I actually understand the frustration of purchasing a part online and having it not be right, and I wasn't trying to bash you in the first place. It was a logical question. That's all. Later.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That looks like crap. Contact them, that is unacceptable.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
That looks like crap. Contact them, that is unacceptable.
Everything is being taken care of.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Your apology was sweet, your attempt at dissing me for asking why someone who "respects the company" would go to a message board and post an eye catching thread title in order to vent frustrations was why I restated my original question.

Sorry if that was so hard to follow.

I actually understand the frustration of purchasing a part online and having it not be right, and I wasn't trying to bash you in the first place. It was a logical question. That's all. Later.
Maybe you should use a bigger bat on the horse!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

-Dan
Dan, have you received my PM with the order number and phone number?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Had the same exact issue. You can return it for a full refund. I did just last month for that part. Get the rear MMD panel. It is a more quality part and it has a factory finish look on you decklid

Name:	image-2251742963.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	101956
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
Had the same exact issue. You can return it for a full refund. I did just last month for that part. Get the rear MMD panel. It is a more quality part and it has a factory finish look on you decklid
This is the second deck lid panel I am returning. The first one was the magnetic. Did not like the looks of it so I got the blackout. I like it but the hole is out of position. I also want the gloss black look. Just getting frustrated can't seem to get the final part to finish the look of my Stang.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfreeman40 View Post
^^^^ why AM is so great. Amazing customer service!
+1
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang