Hard accelerating question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hard accelerating question?

I notice that when pass 4000rpm on hard acceleration it feels like it bogs ever so slightly. At first I thought it was the advance trac so I disabled it but sometimes it still happens? Another way I could describe it is it almost feels like the wheels spin for a fraction of a second. Could a glazed or slipping clutch cause this? It's a 2013 with 9000km on it. Any input appreciated.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
How bad of a bog is it?
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not really bad at all. But I do notice it. I called my Ford dealer and they where like, huh? It does what exactly? Lol. It's my first manual so I have no idea if its common or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It could be clutch slip, ford dealerships are useless you can get more knowledge from people off of here. Its actually a common problem in the mt82s it could be the shift fork... I would have to ride in it to see
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamphier View Post
It could be clutch slip, ford dealerships are useless you can get more knowledge from people off of here. Its actually a common problem in the mt82s it could be the shift fork... I would have to ride in it to see
Yeah that's y I posted it. Lol, they will be like, we drove it and everything is fine, your crazy now go home. Lol

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Shift fork? Is that bad.lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea they hate modified cars too, can't expect anything from them. But your problem sounds like it could be clutch slip. Is it in every gear?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea they hate modified cars too, can't expect anything from them. But your problem sounds like it could be clutch slip. Is it in every gear?
I don't think so but I don't get the chance to push third and up to often. If it was clutch slip is there anything they/I could do without replacing it? From what I can tell it doesn't happen all the time and its only in the higher rpm range. Thx for your help. : )
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Not really because it could be a multitude of things. Bad clutch pads, bad shift fork, or the plate that holds it could be bad. Or maybe its fine and just breaking in could be a multitude of things. Let me know what you do or if you need anything else
Old 04-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No problem I'll check with a friend tomorrow and see if he has any input!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Clutch slip? If so, it should be in every gear if he floors it. That would be an apparent problem. Unless he's abused it, it shouldn't be an issue. Clutch fork has to do with shifting into and changing a gear, no idea how that could affect it... You shouldn't have a slipping or glazed clutch at your mileage unless you've been riding the clutch pedal and smelling clutch material.

This sounds really weird, but do this... go under the hood, pop open the fuse box. Remove fuse #47 for around 10min, pop it back in and take it for a ride. Let me know if the car feels perkier or not.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Watch my video. The very last run in the video is it like that? Mine has been doing a weird bog as well in 1st. Starting at 2:34.

My Movie

via McTube for YouTube.
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I was just trying to think of all the parts. But you seem to know more so thanks for the help!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'd love to blame it on a slipping clutch, believe me. It just doesn't seem likely.

Bogging at the start of first with 2.73s is a very common issue. You either have to slip the clutch like hell, get steeper gears, or accept it. In that vid, I noticed a weird pause near the top of 2nd gear, but that's all I could tell right off.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I'd love to blame it on a slipping clutch, believe me. It just doesn't seem likely.

Bogging at the start of first with 2.73s is a very common issue. You either have to slip the clutch like hell, get steeper gears, or accept it. In that vid, I noticed a weird pause near the top of 2nd gear, but that's all I could tell right off.
I definetly noticed it on the top end, and it matches with what OP was saying about it bogging at over 4k, i don't think its the clutch slipping. I honestly have no idea what the problem is.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Clutch slip? If so, it should be in every gear if he floors it. That would be an apparent problem. Unless he's abused it, it shouldn't be an issue. Clutch fork has to do with shifting into and changing a gear, no idea how that could affect it... You shouldn't have a slipping or glazed clutch at your mileage unless you've been riding the clutch pedal and smelling clutch material.

This sounds really weird, but do this... go under the hood, pop open the fuse box. Remove fuse #47 for around 10min, pop it back in and take it for a ride. Let me know if the car feels perkier or not.
Thanks for the help. I did learn how to drive stick on it that's why I thought maybe I glazed it. Once I down shifter from third to second and didn't rev match and the car shot me forward a did a little chirping of the rear tires when I was learning but other than that I'm very good to her.what will pulling the fuse out do? I've got the day off and I'm gonna go do that in 10. Thx guys.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Not a slipping clutch at all

If the clutch was slipping you sure won't get a bog, The engine would rev up extremely fast all the way up to the limiter. I can't tell you what is causing your bog but I can assure you it ain't a slipping clutch.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I definetly noticed it on the top end, and it matches with what OP was saying about it bogging at over 4k, i don't think its the clutch slipping. I honestly have no idea what the problem is.
I checked out your and its not the same thing. I'm not even sure if I did a vid while driving that anyone would even pick up on it. It might just be a drivers feel. Thx.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If the clutch was slipping you sure won't get a bog, The engine would rev up extremely fast all the way up to the limiter. I can't tell you what is causing your bog but I can assure you it ain't a slipping clutch.

Ronnie
That's a relief, it definitely doesn't do that, whew, maybe its more of a software thing? I'm gonna try the fuse but it decided to f in snow today and I don't have my snow tires on. : ( Thx Ronnie.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

MrMike

What mod's did you do to your car such as CAI, Mufflers, Tune, ???

Ronnie
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My transmission was replaced due to bad synchros and faulty forks on all gears I never had a bog or anything except maybe in first but that should be due to the gears. Maybe type of gas? Lol idk
Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What mod's did you do to your car such as CAI, Mufflers, Tune, ???

Ronnie
Just axel backs.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Mike, pulling that fuse resets the PCM. Some guy on another forum had a mysterious "reduced power" issue from his MT82 car. Couldn't figure it out and tried that, it fixed it. I guess some parameter in the PCM gets messed up and you need to clear it in order for things to start working right.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It could be this, Just something to think of.

A weak coil pack could very well be the problem, Fires the plug fine at the lower RPM's and just plain driving. When under full throttle it is not spitting out enough juice to fire one of the plugs. All six coil packs need to be tested to find out if one is not up to snuff. I'm pretty sure the dealer will not want to do this as long as your car is running. I;m pretty sure this won't throw a code. Somebody may correct me if I'm wrong on throwing the code.

In the old days when we only had one coil and a bunch of wires it was easy to track down. Usually a bad wire. But now you need to track down ((IS IT A BAD COIL PACK?? )) Ain't nothing easy any more.

Ronnie
Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just removed fuse 47 and I will wait 10-15 mins. It has stopped snowing for a little bit so I can hopefully get out and try it shortly. Thx Sanguin!

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote:
A weak coil pack could very well be the problem, Fires the plug fine at the lower RPM's and just plain driving. When under full throttle it is not spitting out enough juice to fire one of the plugs. All six coil packs need to be tested to find out if one is not up to snuff. I'm pretty sure the dealer will not want to do this as long as your car is running. I;m pretty sure this won't throw a code. Somebody may correct me if I'm wrong on throwing the code.

In the old days when we only had one coil and a bunch of wires it was easy to track down. Usually a bad wire. But now you need to track down ((IS IT A BAD COIL PACK?? )) Ain't nothing easy any more.

Ronnie
That's something I didn't think about either! My friend had one replaced on his old t bird. Is there an easy way for them to test for it?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Easy if you have the equipment

I don't know if they can be tested without removing each one from the car. If they need to be removed it would be time consuming. I would think that a misfire would throw some sort of code but I really don't know.

Just be very careful driving in your "SNOW" This is something that can really wait until it is totally dry out with no Chance of hitting some icy spot.

The trouble is that the dealer will probably connect it to a scope and of course it will not show anything wrong because the engine is not under a load at high RPM's.

I think what you feel as a bog is a misfireing of a cylinder and under a heavy load at speed with wind resistance adding to the load and at higher RPM's.

My personal opinion is if it was anything in the PCU it would be a problem all the time and not just at 4,000 + RPM's.

Ronnie
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Well it started snowing AGAIN, so ill have to wait a bit before I can get out. So I was reading up on faulty and intermittet coil problems and it sounds exactly what's going on in my situation. It's says that an intermittent coil problem won't normally throw a code and won't cause any issues under normal driving, but when merging on a highway in the upper rpms is where it will become more apparent such as a slight to moderate hesitation. If pulling the fuse doesn't improve it I think its definitely pointing towards a coil problem so far.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang