Trade in for a Gt?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Trade in for a Gt??

I've been debating whether I should trade in my car for a Gt or keep my v6?? My friend convinced me into keeping my v6, but that Gt is all up on my mind:p well really all it is that bothers me about my car is that it's auto!/:
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Do research on all the little changes thats been done to the new 5.0 since 2011. Maybe, just maybe, they have it right now but i wouldn't bet money on it. The 5.0 came out a couple years too soon in my opinion. I'm not 5.0 bashing but facts are facts.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had my 2012 V6 auto for a little over 2 months then traded it in for a 2014 GT. Much more happy with the GT.
EricJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The 5.0 and the 3.7 both had teething issues the first year. Any new design is like that. As time has went on, they've improved and the only issue I even heard about of significant importance was cylinder 8's going out. Generally related to aftermarket tunes being too aggressive.

3.7s have had both lifter issues and flywheel bolt issues in the '11MY.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
The 5.0 and the 3.7 both had teething issues the first year. Any new design is like that. As time has went on, they've improved and the only issue I even heard about of significant importance was cylinder 8's going out. Generally related to aftermarket tunes being too aggressive.

Really all I want it for is the power :p you have a 3.7 right? And it's manual? How do you like it? Would you trade it in for a Gt?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I've been debating whether I should trade in my car for a Gt or keep my v6?? My friend convinced me into keeping my v6, but that Gt is all up on my mind:p well really all it is that bothers me about my car is that it's auto!/:
Idk too much about the new ones but driving a manual v6 compared to an automatic is like night and day I was contemplating getting a much nicer convertible than the car I had originally bought. But it was automatic so I went with the one I have now. I'd say go for it. Plus acceleration should drastically increase with the gt
Michaelgranlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If you want more power get a supercharger, but if you want a manual then you should probably sell it and get a different one... Honestly if i was you i would stick with the car for a while though.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If u do trade it in. Make sure this gt has everything you want and for the right $$. Make it worth your process. Now there are plenty out there to pick from. Supercharging is pointless unless you want to put 7 plus thousand into your car and kill the warrenty. Keep the money and put it towards the gt payment/mods. Yes the gt is worth it!! Try the gt auto in overdrive if you want more of a stick shift aggressive feel. Happy hunting!!
tolly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I say go for the gt the new 5.0 is nasty :$
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone wanting to upgrade there mustang v6 to gt to boss to gt500 should wait till the 15s come out. The prices should drop after that point and snag one up for a great deal. Unless you have the money to get what you want. I love my 5.0 and im waiting till the 15s come out and trade in on the new gt or shelby up
tolly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really all I want it for is the power :p you have a 3.7 right? And it's manual? How do you like it? Would you trade it in for a Gt?
No, because it doesn't make financial sense. I'd lose out on a ton of money and what not, but I'm realistic. I got a V6 cause I couldn't afford a GT, not because I wanted a V6. That said, the V6 is amazing and what these guys are doing with them on N/A and Turbo builds. The only thing you could miss not having a GT is the exhaust note.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Say no I have a v6 six speed highway drive 27 mpg and cheaper insurance...do gears and tuner for acceleration think are you really every gonna cruise 120 plus..daily driver man
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

I heard that about cylinder. 8 as well
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
Say no I have a v6 six speed highway drive 27 mpg and cheaper insurance...do gears and tuner for acceleration think are you really every gonna cruise 120 plus..daily driver man
Great point, I live in Germany and I don't cruise at 120, but I am on the audobahn daily I couldn't imagine what my gas monthly would be like in a gt.! My friend had an 09 that he modded and boosted. He loved that car, he is the one that talked me into a wix. Well he wrecked it, didn't want to do that work again and just bought a 11 gt. He said its great but he really misses his gas mileage. I bought a six because I would not be able to afford to mod a gt until I paid it off. Im making this car MY car. No one else has the same combo of stuff as me. There are so many gts here and they are the same. The only thing they add are axelbacks........so boring loud, but boring.
ricbjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you can afford it then go for it if it is truly what you want. gas, insurance etc. make sure you do all the numbers. I had the 4.6 3v GT and opted for the 3.7 this time around because I wanted more of a daily driver car with better milage. This one will be paid off soon and I will get another GT as a project car and keep the 13 as a daily driver. That might be an option too for you IDK..
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I would love to get a GT but Im in the same boat as the other's. Financially it is not the wise for me. But I do love modding my car, I'm a newbie but I am learning so much about my vehicle.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
If you can afford it then go for it if it is truly what you want. gas, insurance etc. make sure you do all the numbers. I had the 4.6 3v GT and opted for the 3.7 this time around because I wanted more of a daily driver car with better milage. This one will be paid off soon and I will get another GT as a project car and keep the 13 as a daily driver. That might be an option too for you IDK..
I am thinking of doing the same... keeping my car as a daily driver. I thought of trading It in when the 15 comes out but it would probably be resulting in a lot of money lost might as well keep it and buy a new 15. I am hopping to get the shelby if everything goes well I graduate from college and get me dream job.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
LIFE IS SHORT so GET WHAT YOU REALLY WANT !!

I have a V6 3.7 automatic and don't even ever think about trading for A GT. "BUT" if I wanted one I sure would not ask anybody what I should do. I would just get it. If you want a GT and can afford one just go ahead and get it. If you can't afford it just give up something else you spend money on like going out every night drinking or out to dinner dates and paying for Ladies meals etc.

I personally don't see any difference in the 3.7 and a GT because the 3.7 sure can run good when you goose it. Of course not as fast as A GT but still very quick.

If you really want one, Just go and get it.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

^^ if you can afford it. Then get the 5.0
toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you are looking to trade for a 5.0 there is more than just the payment. First you will go through tires, I know I drive ALOT faster than most and dont regularly rotate my tires but I usually only get 8-10k miles out of the set that stays on the back. 2 be ready for $120 oil changes every 3-5k miles, these engines take something like 8 quarts of oil so it gets expensive. 3 it is strongly advised to run premium, its not that much more but it is more. Finally be ready to be hit with modding bug immediately, while stock for stock the 5.0 is faster than alot there is alot thats not stock. These are really great cars and once you learn how to drive one you will never have more fun.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

120 dollar oil change? My truck takes 14 quarts and a 20 dollar oil fitler and ill pay 75ish
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
120 dollar oil change? My truck takes 14 quarts and a 20 dollar oil fitler and ill pay 75ish
Well $120 is total for everything so I should have clarified. Balance tires etc. but I only use Mobil 1 and oil change only is around 90. Just tying to help they guy make the right decision by saying that there is more than just the payment you have to consider.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have a V6 3.7 automatic and don't even ever think about trading for A GT. "BUT" if I wanted one I sure would not ask anybody what I should do. I would just get it. If you want a GT and can afford one just go ahead and get it. If you can't afford it just give up something else you spend money on like going out every night drinking or out to dinner dates and paying for Ladies meals etc.

I personally don't see any difference in the 3.7 and a GT because the 3.7 sure can run good when you goose it. Of course not as fast as A GT but still very quick.

Ronnie
+1 do what makes you happy

I love my car. This is the first car I've "modded" and I'm hooked. With that said if there was a 12 gt loaded like my v6 within 250 miles I would have bought it without thinking. I could have gotten a 13 at that time. First one on the lot and it met the specs ( wasnt crazy about the wheels) but the 0% and black had me go I want! It was a red fully loaded gt I checked it out that next week when I got my tags. But for msrp to msrp there was about 10k in difference and no 0% financing. I could have done it but I wouldn't have had really any money left to mod my car.

There was also a sherrod conversion that was a little cheaper than the one i got. All appearance mods but man it looked good. It had plain black leather and that was it of I remember correctly. I went for the creature comforts, that and the test drive of the sherrod sounded like a bearing or something was loose. Scared me off a little bit. But part of me wishes I bought that one but I wanted sync and better blah blah blah and stuff for some reason and I do like it but I think I would have gotten the sherrod and then upgraded gears (2:73 on it but 3:31 which i am fine with are on mine)and a cai/tune and axel backs.

All in all I am happy where I am at other than I goofed on my chin spoiler install and the tape messed up where you can tell on the right side if you look close. But it is on there good just I'm ocd and it makes me irritated and I don't want to redo 3m at this point.

Why do we do this?
Because Mustang!!!
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The secrete is this:

If you can't afford a GT you need to get a part time job and start saving up $$$$$. That is if you want one bad enough. I once worked one full time job and did a part time in a gas station and did some photography on the side to get enough to buy my 1969 Z-28 and take a three week vacation in it from Delaware to California. Stopping at Woodstock on the way.
When Me and Donna came home and showed our pictures all of my friends said I was really lucky. My reply was an old one I heard. " The harder and more I worked, The luckier I got"

I have always worked extra when I wanted something. I can't now because of the cancer and other health problems I have. I can't do a job so I watch peoples dogs for extra $$$$. I still take a few pictures but not very often. Everybody has a digital camera now so that extra $$$ is over. If I wanted A GT bad enough I would find some way to earn some extra money.

Anything worth having is always worth putting effort into and working for.

Ronnie
Old 04-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi JAC20

I just looked at your pictures and I think your Mustang is really great looking. The Wheels set it off perfect and if you don't point out the chin spoiler I'm sure nobody will ever notice it. The whole car looks good to me.

Ronnie
Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just looked at your pictures and I think your Mustang is really great looking. The Wheels set it off perfect and if you don't point out the chin spoiler I'm sure nobody will ever notice it. The whole car looks good to me.

Ronnie
Thanks. Your car is clean looking as well.

Im happy with the look. I'm thinking of doing long tubes and catted x in the next month. Birthday present from the wife. She is awesome. The downer is autoanything I can get 15% off but I'd like to give AM my money but the extra 80 bucks can go towards the install.

I need to redip the wheels I've repaired 3 blemishes but they still look ok after 6 months. The next time around I can do a better job. These wheels stink to dip. So many angles. But I like the look and when I get bored I can peel the dip if and then go with the polished aluminum. But I will get new wheels when my tires go bald. Hoping to get 30k out of them.

Love the pic with your dog. Mine loves to ride along as long as I don't go crazy around curves.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

thanks guys your comments really did open my eyes. You see I can afford the Gt, but I really wouldent have much money after and what good would that do me? I'm thinking of keeping my v6 because I can afford mods for it and such. Maby in the future trade it in for a Manual one though because I'm not a big fan of the automatic trans on mine/:
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey JAC20

AM will match the price if you find something you want that they sell someplace cheaper. Just PM Dan or Shane and tell them what you need and what the price was at autoanything and they will try to match it.

Ronnie
Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I'd highly suggest doing a private sale before trading it in... Just saying.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #30
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AM will match the price if you find something you want that they sell someplace cheaper. Just PM Dan or Shane and tell them what you need and what the price was at autoanything and they will try to match it.

Ronnie
I reallllllllly want some Borla's but at AM their about $785... I found some on eBay for about $745 I believe? Would they work drop n match the price? Or do you know any special places where I could get them cheaper?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I reallllllllly want some Borla's but at AM their about $785... I found some on eBay for about $745 I believe? Would they work drop n match the price? Or do you know any special places where I could get them cheaper?
I tried but technically it's a discount code 😒 for 15% off. So they couldn't do it. I figured as much so I ordered it today anyways. If it comes in midweek I hope to have it installed on Friday
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
+100000 its your choice do what you want who cares what anyone has to say even me...
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I have been kicking this around as well and just as everyone says go with what your heart is telling you. I know some people that burn through cars every few months. I personally opted for the V6 because I could get EVERYTHING I wanted in it. It is my dream car (within my price range LOL). If everyday you sit down in it and complain you wish you had a V8 think about it. Can you afford the extra insurance premium, have a higher monthly payment, and pay for the extra gas that you will be sucking down. If the answers are all yes without a doubt then I say go for it.
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedic View Post
I have been kicking this around as well and just as everyone says go with what your heart is telling you. I know some people that burn through cars every few months. I personally opted for the V6 because I could get EVERYTHING I wanted in it. It is my dream car (within my price range LOL). If everyday you sit down in it and complain you wish you had a V8 think about it. Can you afford the extra insurance premium, have a higher monthly payment, and pay for the extra gas that you will be sucking down. If the answers are all yes without a doubt then I say go for it.
Those are some very mind hanging points!(:
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I actually went by my ford dealer today just to look around and talk to the guy I bought my car from (Earl). Maybe thats odd but he and I get along well and the soon to be fiance will need a new car soon so maybe he can help me get a deal. I put a good chunk of change down on my stang and payed over half of it off in cash up front so I get some respect from my buddy Earl when I come to roam the lot... Anyways, we went for a joy, i mean test drive in a 2013 GT manual because he is always trying to sell me one (typical salesman). The more I drove it the more I wanted to be back in my 3.7... granted, I have a slew of mods, but the GT just didn't seem so grand any more. Acceleration felt the same if not a bit slower and the only real difference I could see was in the upper RPM the car kept gaining speed rapidly where as the 3.7 starts to drop off. Personally, I still don't think it's 10 grand more of a car and I am very happy with my 3.7 and despite Earl's best attempts to get me in the GT... I honestly dont see me ever letting the 3.7 go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang