JLT CAI or Airaid CAI on 2013 V6 PP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 AM   #1

Region: Delaware
JLT CAI or Airaid CAI on 2013 V6 PP

I've got a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP and want to get a cai and tuner from AM. They have two different packages i'm interested in, the one with the JLT and the one with the Airaid cai. I like the box better on the Airaid, but the more straight tubing design of the JLT seems like it would be more beneficial. I'm also getting the Basanii axle back exhaust when i order these and will be telling Bama to include the axle back on the tune. thinking of going 87 street, 93 performance, and 93 hybrid as my three programs. which of these two intakes do you guys and gals like better? please only chime in if you have one or the other. thanks everyone!
jspeed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I have the Airaid and I really like it. Plastic seems to be more resistant to heat than metal, too. I believe the JLT is metal, yeah?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Which one (or maybe both) are compatable with a tuner? You may not be ready to go the route of a tuner now, but you may be in the future? There are quite a few CAI's out there for the 3.7 that do not do much in the area of performance; they are for cosmetic looks and sound. Then there are CAI's that work with a tuner; this is where you gain.

Something to consider when making a CAI purchase.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I went through the exact same thought process... It seemed a few more people recommended the Airaid, but I went with the JLT. I got it just after they stopped making the carbon fiber tube, which I wish I got but whatever, its plastic as the airaid is. I went with JLT because yes the design of a straighter tube is better, sure its going to be like a hundredth of one percent better, but im an engineer and to people like me, Its going to bother me. Also something to note is the filter on the Airaid is capped off at the end, but the JLT filter has a mini conical filter that points inward. Thats kinda what sold me, more filter surface area = less restriction. Again nothing noticeable, but sits better in my mind. If you want the best of the best though, get a steeda. Iwas going to get that but dont want to tune quite yet. Anyway you go, your going to be happy with it to be honest, the differences are pretty negligible
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

^^+1^^ well spoken.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Airaid here

I don't have a picture of the JLT installed, But hopefully someone does. I do know my car is way more responsive after I put this Airaid on. Amazing since I had a K&N drop in filter already on my car.

I'm sure the JLT is of perfect quality as is the Airaid. I personally love the way the Airaid looks when you open the hood. I actually bought it more for the "EYE CANDY" appeal then the performance aspect. I really did not think it would be any better then my K&N drop in for performance but I sure was wrong on that.

I do have the JLT oil separator and the quality of that is outstanding so I'm sure their CAI would be the same.

I think both will suck in way more air then the engine can use without other modifications so just get the one you like the looks of.

As far as a bend goes in a pipe.
Quote:
Reference Book here

The loss at a bend is due to friction and viscous (shear) forces within the fluid, in this case air. The loss is a function of the flow rate raised to the fourth power. So a double sized pipe will flow more than double the fluid. A 4" pipe will flow 16 times more volumetrically than a 2". The bend only redirects the flow and very little energy is lost due to the bend. Actually the length of your duct will have more of an effect on the "loss" of "head" or pressure than a single bend. But 5 bends in 15 feet won't make a noticeable difference.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed82 View Post
I've got a 2013 V6 Premium with the PP and want to get a cai and tuner from AM. They have two different packages i'm interested in, the one with the JLT and the one with the Airaid cai. I like the box better on the Airaid, but the more straight tubing design of the JLT seems like it would be more beneficial. I'm also getting the Basanii axle back exhaust when i order these and will be telling Bama to include the axle back on the tune. thinking of going 87 street, 93 performance, and 93 hybrid as my three programs. which of these two intakes do you guys and gals like better? please only chime in if you have one or the other. thanks everyone!
Congratulations on the 2013 V6 PP, that's awesome ride!

As far as these intakes go, you really can't go wrong! Either of these options are going to be really beneficial to your sixxer. This is a really common debate and when recommending a CAI, these are the top 2 I always through out there!

I would suggest going with whatever system is more appealing to you because they're going to produce very similar power numbers! I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance in the near future. Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I bought my JLT from AM, and I love it. Looks good and sounds even better. It growls under the hood when I accelerate, and whistles when I shift. But like everyones saying, there really is no difference between the two. Just depends on what you like.

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I have the Airaid and I really like it. Plastic seems to be more resistant to heat than metal, too. I believe the JLT is metal, yeah?
negative. JLT is made from the same material as the air raid.
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-796924436.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	102957

Here's the JLT. The two are very similar, but what sold me on JLT was that it was the cheaper CAI/tuner combo.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, my bad. I just thought I saw the JLT one on AM and never looked too in depth with it. Just going off of memory, I must be thinking of a different brand.

I do agree with the posts above, you get such a small gain from a CAI, and the bend won't cause any loss, and the engine pulls more air than it can use, just go with what looks good. I like the look of the Airaid, and from what I've heard, both sound awesome in the cabin.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #11

Region: Connecticut
Airaid CAI on 2011 V6PP

Hey guys, I just bought the Airaid CAI for my 2011 V6PP and was really surprised to read in the installation instructions that on vehicles equipped with the performance package I may need to cut the engine cover to ensure proper fit! This was definitely not something I had planned to do. Has anyone else installed the Airaid cai on a V6PP and did you have to cut the engine cover? Does the JLT or BBK cai require the same modification?
1HOTPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOTPONY
Hey guys, I just bought the Airaid CAI for my 2011 V6PP and was really surprised to read in the installation instructions that on vehicles equipped with the performance package I may need to cut the engine cover to ensure proper fit! This was definitely not something I had planned to do. Has anyone else installed the Airaid cai on a V6PP and did you have to cut the engine cover? Does the JLT or BBK cai require the same modification?
You dont have to cut it. It's not mandatory. Just makes it look a bit cleaner.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
JLT & Tuner combo will give you the most bang for your buck. That's what I use to have. There are two draw backs to it though. It's doesn't utilize the factory inlet as well as the Airraid and Steeda air box does since both plug in directly into your factory cold air inlet and have a more closed off box. The Steeda also has more of a straight piping to your throttle body. If I were just choosing an intake I would go with the Steeda. It's metal heat shield is way better than Airraid IMO. The other draw back to a JLT is that it's manufactured for a direct fit for a manual transmission. If you have a auto, you will have to drill a hole into the intake tube to fit a PCV fitting to run the addition hose into the intake. The PCV fitting and rubber grommet comes with it, but it can be a pain if you don't have a drill to do this extra step. Also if you don't drill the correct diameter hole it will allow for air to escape around the rubber grommet.

Overall they are both really good intake, but if money is not that big of and issue, I would go with the Airraid over the JTL and the Steeda over the Airraid. Hope this helps
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I fail to mention two other things if you are interested in straight performance. As mention above, I do fill the JLT filter has a better design than the Airaid, allowing for more airflow. Steeda filter has the same design with a larger diameter, allowing for even more air to flow threw it.

Also the material that the Steeda intake tube is made of allows for it to expand which will cause evening more are to be sucked thought to the throttle body.

I know you only wanted to hear about the JLT & Airaid, but just giving you more to think about with your purchase.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
I fail to mention two other things if you are interested in straight performance. As mention above, I do fill the JLT filter has a better design than the Airaid, allowing for more airflow. Steeda filter has the same design with a larger diameter, allowing for even more air to flow threw it.

Also the material that the Steeda intake tube is made of allows for it to expand which will cause evening more are to be sucked thought to the throttle body.

I know you only wanted to hear about the JLT & Airaid, but just giving you more to think about with your purchase.
One flaw. The throttle body. Only so much air will be sucked by the engine through the 3" throttle body. Just my .02
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

One flaw. The throttle body. Only so much air will be sucked by the engine through the 3" throttle body. Just my .02
After your debate with Black On Boss I knew you would be around sooner or later to shoot it down.....lol
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
C&L gave me a good insight on what intakes do and realistic numbers along with air flow numbers. Every other company is like 35 hp and our stickers add another 50!

But I like them due to the founder of the tunes for life program is now with them instead of bama And airaid.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Airaid and a tuner and call it a day
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Can't wait to get mine this weekend!!!!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Anyone willing to part with stock airbox?
smarinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
hey charlie i have a question. I just installed mine lastnight and i didnt expect it to be really loud like hessing sound when i go up 3000 rpm and up and i got the airaid is that normal? Got to ask with the guro here.. Thanks
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a 13 PP with the airaid and bbk TB. I'll attach my Virtual Dyno results comparing the stock setup vs airaid+bbk TB. I like VDyno because it allows the user to test the set up with hood down and car moving. (Hood up seems to artificially inflate the dyno numbers). If you are getting a tuner, I'd recommend going with Steeda's CAI, it's larger in diameter and well designed (but requires a tune). I have my new tuner and Steeda CAI sitting in the garage. Waiting for the tunes to arrive and I'll run some comparison VDyno pulls. Another site's member did a dyno comparison of airaid and steeda CAI with only MAF adjusted by tune, and there was a noticeable difference in the graphs with steeda performing better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2952652736.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	139927  
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
hey charlie i have a question. I just installed mine lastnight and i didnt expect it to be really loud like hessing sound when i go up 3000 rpm and up and i got the airaid is that normal? Got to ask with the guro here.. Thanks
Yea its a sucking noise from the car breathing no worries bro
Old 12-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Yea its a sucking noise from the car breathing no worries bro
i have one before in my old 05 and it wasnt this loud it was so cool.. Thanks bro.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
What are your expectations? For about the same money you could buy a tuner or, a new ring and pinion with an install kit.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
What are your expectations? For about the same money you could buy a tuner or, a new ring and pinion with an install kit.
U could buy a ring n pinion and have them sit there for a month or more cuz of install costs
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
And the CAI/Tuner can get you a bit better on your MPG where the gears cost you.
Plus not everyone likes to go fast in a straight line, believe it or not Mustangs can turn also
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
After I read Steeda's blog I actually believe Steeda has the best CAI. I had a JLT before and I was thinking ab getting an Airaid for my GT. Check it out if anyone's interested.

Why Steeda Cold Air Intakes Blow Away The ‘Competition’ Steeda Blog
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
People that don't race don't get it. It's all good.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai