maybe im crazy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
maybe im crazy

I put my car back to stock for an upcoming oil change and my check engine light came on. I checked what the problem was with my tune and it said "engine too lean". So I put the race tune back and the check engine light went off. I told them to make sure they dont flash the vehicle, just a straight up oil change. They did confirm that they will not do anything to the ECM. So I am crossing my fingers and hoping every thing will be fine. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I went in for a complimentary oil change and they flashed mine. Good thing u let them know ahead.
toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What would happen if they did flash it but you were in stock?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing would happen because its already running stock tune.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro View Post
Nothing would happen because its already running stock tune.
Any problems if he load a tune back and then the stock time back on?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard not sure though.. if you flash the ecu a lot it might mess up.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Some dealers can be a pita. Mine is pretty cool. No issues with them reflashing my ECM. I've been tuned almost two years.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd safely say that if you asked for an OIL CHANGE ONLY, and specified no ECM updates, and the tech did an ECM update (because there was a TSB out???), and if the vehicle got screwed up, the dealer would be responsible. Just be sure to have the service advisor write the words "no ECM update" on the work order for the oil change. Have it in writing!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Even with the update it would be fine. The car doesn't necessarily end up running lean, it's just the computer had to adjust fuel delivery outside of the expected range. The car didn't necessarily run lean for more than a couple of cycles at worst and then the computer made adjustments. The code is just a warning. But you should resolve it asap. Maybe just flash the car when you get it back anyways.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I got the car back and they did not flash it and it is running normal. I was just nervous about that flash. But hypothetically speaking, lets say they did flash the vehicle and it did mess up up the ECM, since I have the Stock on my tuner, would I be able to just upload the stock tune and use a different tune already uploaded in the tuner? Or do I need the dealer to fix it? I agree with Bucko, it would be the dealers fault if warned not to flash, but where I live, FORD would hassle me about it.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
It would be fine

All you had to do was go home and reinstall the tune. The updating does not mess up or destroy the computer but the dealers have the problems of the car owners going berserk if their car was updated. Since I last answered this on another post I talked to my dealer about this. Just do like you did and ask not to update the ECM.
GET ON OF THESE FROM STEEDA

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
All you had to do was go home and reinstall the tune. The updating does not mess up or destroy the computer but the dealers have the problems of the car owners going berserk if their car was updated. Since I last answered this on another post I talked to my dealer about this. Just do like you did and ask not to update the ECM.

Ronnie

Ronnie, thanks for the advice. I am going to check up on that flash cover asap.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Ah that's cool!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Why don't you just change your own oil?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Where I live you can't do it on your own. Too many hippies whining about the environment
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
That's what I do! Way cheaper, I know it's done right, and I don't like letting people drive my car without supervision.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

I'm gonna start changing my own. My buddy no longer works for my dealer. So, no more $27 oil changes. I've gotta pay full price now. I'd rather just change it myself now.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post

Where I live you can't do it on your own. Too many hippies whining about the environment
They won't let you ?! Wtf do you live?! I've never heard that :/
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

They won't let you ?! Wtf do you live?! I've never heard that :/
An apt complex by the beach, No place on the grounds and A do it yourself area. Yeah they exist. If I owned a house then I can do it in my garage but I don't.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Why do they flash the ecu??
Gabesayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabesayegh
Why do they flash the ecu??
So they can get money from Ford for the update.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I'd just change my oil myself... It's too easy to pay someone to do it.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I'd just change my oil myself... It's too easy to pay someone to do it.
Hell its too easy to DIY. It takes like 5 min.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

It usually takes me a bit longer. I usually pour a quart through it after I drain it. Kind of a waste of money, but the oil usually drains through a little off color, so I feel better about it. Plus I know it's done right if I do it, and that Royal Purple oil and filter goes in, and some jack *** isn't driving my car without my supervision.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Trust me I would do it myself, it's easy. But the fines are ridiculous. So I won't chance it. It's all good, they adhered to my request and did not flash it, the oil was changed with no problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Fines?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, fines. If I am caught changing my oil in an area we are told we are not allowed to do that, then we would have to pay a fine or monies to the complex or city. I'm guessing those who don't live in California find this hard to understand. Some cities and apt complex's you can do it yourself But in some areas you can't.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Oh okay. Yeah, I feel you. I'm originally from Ca and am aware of this. I thought you were saying you'd get fined for just doing it yourself. Simple fix though, bro. Take it somewhere secluded. Empty parking lot outside the city, something like that. Better than paying a mechanic that much money for basically nothing. Here in Germany, they want 80€ (like 90$) to do it. ****. That.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that's a lot, but sounds about right. There was a Nissan 37z that had there's done for 120. Do you use a synthetic blend for your mustang?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I only use Royal Purple and have been a huge fan of RP for the longest time. I use the 5W20 and RP oil filter and full synthetic RP transmission fluid. Ford recommends Ford Motor Craft, but I think RP works better. There are a lot of drag racers that swear by it, so I figure its good enough for my daily driver. The debate about oil is kind of like the debate between superchargers and turbos. Everyone has their preference and pros/cons... But full synthetic RP had always worked good for me. What are you using?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is a partial synthetic, not sure what the dealer used, FMC might be it since it was done by ford, but I want longevity for my engine. If I go full I don't think I can go back, not sure how true that is but that's what the dealer told me. But I want to try RP next time, I have that for my gears. I might do the secluded thing with RP.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Whatever he told you, I've never heard of. You can go back and forth if you want, but full synthetic is always easier on the engine. Plus, FMC is a full synthetic. I'm not aware of them using a blend.

I'm in the military, so we have autocraft centers with the works, so I pay four bucks to use a lift and do it myself. Super convenient. Nothing like that where you're from?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
Yes, fines. If I am caught changing my oil in an area we are told we are not allowed to do that, then we would have to pay a fine or monies to the complex or city. I'm guessing those who don't live in California find this hard to understand. Some cities and apt complex's you can do it yourself But in some areas you can't.
Just so you know, this violates "right to fix" laws. As long as you dispose of the used oil properly you can do what you want. This is across all of the US and Canada.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Just so you know, this violates "right to fix" laws. As long as you dispose of the used oil properly you can do what you want. This is across all of the US and Canada.
Not on private property or certain hoa communities. Working on a vehicle (even changing the oil) can take the perceived value down.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma
Whatever he told you, I've never heard of. You can go back and forth if you want, but full synthetic is always easier on the engine. Plus, FMC is a full synthetic. I'm not aware of them using a blend.

I'm in the military, so we have autocraft centers with the works, so I pay four bucks to use a lift and do it myself. Super convenient. Nothing like that where you're from?
Fmc does not have a full synthetic...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #35
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

I thought that act was to force manufacturers to provide the same vehicle information, service/repair to not only dealers but independent shops as well?

It's my understanding that most apartment communities have it stipulated in your lease that you're only allowed to change a tire and add fluids. Depending on the complex. My buddy lives in an fancy pantsy complex and they don't even allow you to change a tire! Outrageous!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang