Flash Tuner going around warranty??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Flash Tuner going around warranty???

hey guys, just got my new 2013 mustang and I have a bama sft flash tuner from my 05 mustang, I know I can just pay a small fee to be able to work with my car but is there anyway to go around warranty like for example, going to the ford dealership and getting my oil changed, all I would have to do is return my car back to stock? or is more complicated then that. thx!! V6 Power.
MustacheMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Tuning leaves a timestamp on the '11+ Mustangs' ECM, even if you flash it back to stock. The Ford techs will be able to see it.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheMustang View Post
hey guys, just got my new 2013 mustang and I have a bama sft flash tuner from my 05 mustang, I know I can just pay a small fee to be able to work with my car but is there anyway to go around warranty like for example, going to the ford dealership and getting my oil changed, all I would have to do is return my car back to stock? or is more complicated then that. thx!! V6 Power.
I really don't think it will be an issue, if you're just going in for little things like oil changes. If you need serious repairs, though, they might try to blame the damage on your aftermarket tune.
BatmanUriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanUriah View Post

I really don't think it will be an issue, if you're just going in for little things like oil changes. If you need serious repairs, though, they might try to blame the damage on your aftermarket tune.
that makes sense!! I never thought about that, kinda sounds kinda selfish lol

I've heard that it depends on the dealership that sometimes they can be cool and just to put it back to stock when going in for maintenance. I'll have to be sure. lol
Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that makes sense!! I never thought about that, kinda sounds kinda selfish lol

I've heard that it depends on the dealership that sometimes they can be cool and just to put it back to stock when going in for maintenance. I'll have to be sure. lol
I hear so many good things about the Bama tunes for these cars, that I really don't think you'll have any issues. Even though it technically voids the warranty, if it isn't something that directly caused something to break, then they'll still fix whatever is wrong with the car. I'm not sure if that made sense or not..

So, if you put an aftermarket tune on the computer, and then your muffler bracket breaks off, then they can't blame the tune. Make sense? =)
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Dealers will most of the time try to blame the damage on any type of modification. I know someone who had a small problem (forgot what it was) and the dealer tried to blame the aftermarket wheels they had.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Dealers will most of the time try to blame the damage on any type of modification. I know someone who had a small problem (forgot what it was) and the dealer tried to blame the aftermarket wheels they had.
Wow.. That's insane.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
I never have an issue at the dealership with my car. Last time I had it in they asked if I had set it back to stock because of an update that Ford sent a recall on. The service manager said he had in the system when it was in before that trip but told the tech not to do it because he knows I run custom tunes on the car and he forgot to ask me when I dropped it off.

They replaced the shaker because of delaminating of the screen - no problems. But I figure if I go in with an engine problem that will be on my dime since I changed the tune parameters so the engine is no longer running the as built tune so it isn't the engine/tune that Ford built. (They are also processing for a problem with the passenger seat, the leather has a spot where the color is coming off, and will be under warranty with no problems since the tune couldn't have affected that at all)

On my 2006 I took it in and had blown a head gasket. Got that fixed under warranty even though I was running tunes on that car too. The only question they had was whether I had hooked up the nitrous kit yet - the lines were run but nothing was wired and the intake wasn't tapped yet so it was obvious I hadn't run nitrous on it. Warranty covered the head gasket replacement, even with the custom tune on the car.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I never have an issue at the dealership with my car. Last time I had it in they asked if I had set it back to stock because of an update that Ford sent a recall on. The service manager said he had in the system when it was in before that trip but told the tech not to do it because he knows I run custom tunes on the car and he forgot to ask me when I dropped it off.

They replaced the shaker because of delaminating of the screen - no problems. But I figure if I go in with an engine problem that will be on my dime since I changed the tune parameters so the engine is no longer running the as built tune so it isn't the engine/tune that Ford built. (They are also processing for a problem with the passenger seat, the leather has a spot where the color is coming off, and will be under warranty with no problems since the tune couldn't have affected that at all)

On my 2006 I took it in and had blown a head gasket. Got that fixed under warranty even though I was running tunes on that car too. The only question they had was whether I had hooked up the nitrous kit yet - the lines were run but nothing was wired and the intake wasn't tapped yet so it was obvious I hadn't run nitrous on it. Warranty covered the head gasket replacement, even with the custom tune on the car.
that's really helpful, thanks alot. because I still have my tune and I dropped some of my tax money on that about a month ago and I really don't want to sell it and have to re-buy it again, so I'm going to pay the 150 fee for it to work with my newer mustang and have fun with it.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
that's really helpful, thanks alot. because I still have my tune and I dropped some of my tax money on that about a month ago and I really don't want to sell it and have to re-buy it again, so I'm going to pay the 150 fee for it to work with my newer mustang and have fun with it.
JimC has some good advice. I think his Dealer experience is going to be what most people will find at their local Dealer..

Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions or concerns!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang