Which warranties apply to what - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Which warranties apply to what

Which warranties do I have to wait for to expire to do my full exhaust and intake?
Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Neither

I'm pretty sure the dealers don't care if you change the Exhaust and put on a CAI unless you have a real prick for a dealer. Most dealers don;t like you to do a tune. ( Only because it causes problems if you take the car in for service and they need to update the computer.) Just ask your service rep if they have a problem with what you want to do. If they voided a warranty because of changing the exhaust I don't think any Mustangs ever sold would have a warranty. It seems that's the first thing a Mustang owner does, CHANGE THE MUFFLERS

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I already changed the muffler, the dealers are dicks so they said no CAI and headers or midpipe until warranties up. Now are they talking about the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty or the 5 year xx,xxx mile warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmyr View Post
I already changed the muffler, the dealers are dicks so they said no CAI and headers or midpipe until warranties up. Now are they talking about the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty or the 5 year xx,xxx mile warranty?
5 yr power train warranty. 3 year is bumper to bumper.
My dealer said not to change anything including changing to a drop in KnN. I even checked a dealer that sells Ford Racing parts and they said can't change anything. Ford has. Nasty TSB telling the service techs to check for after market parts. They aren't going to void a warranty until a failure that can be attributed to the after market part. You can have it serviced without issue until something goes wrong. Ie: your transmissions slips. You take it in and the dealer says your mufflers and CAI added horsepower beyond factory specs that put added strain on the trans. Voided warranty.

Radio quits working: No voided warranty. Unless you added power amps or sub woofers or upgraded speakers.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So basically I can't change my full exhaust until after the power train?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Read this,

>>MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

This is the law telling you that you can change the mufflers or any other part but if the part you put on ruins something on your car it won't be covered. Everything else would still be covered not connected to the part you put on.

Not the dealer or the Manufacturer can void your whole warranty.

This law goes back to the 70's and is still in effect.

Something else to read>http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

It is really hard for a dealer not to cover a part still under warranty unless it is something like a fried clutch that you burnt up teaching you girlfriend how to drive a stick or something like raising the rev limiter and blowing the drive shaft through the floor. Putting on a set of mufflers and a CAI sure ain't going to cause anything to break on your car.

Ronnie
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm pretty sure the dealers don't care if you change the Exhaust and put on a CAI unless you have a real prick for a dealer. Most dealers don;t like you to do a tune. ( Only because it causes problems if you take the car in for service and they need to update the computer.) Just ask your service rep if they have a problem with what you want to do. If they voided a warranty because of changing the exhaust I don't think any Mustangs ever sold would have a warranty. It seems that's the first thing a Mustang owner does, CHANGE THE MUFFLERS

Ronnie
i guess i'm the excpetion. the first thing i did (performance wise) was a tuner and steeda intake.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Airefire

The first thing I did at less then 100 miles was my Magnaflow axleback mufflers & a K&N drop in air cleaner. If I wanted a tuner I sure would have put that on too. I could not stand how quiet the stock mufflers were. The pipe in a pipe also bothered me a lot when I looked at the back of my Mustang.
I do have the six year sixty thousand mile extended bumper to bumper warranty and if I ever do have a problem I'm sure it's not going to be caused by changing the mufflers and putting on a Cold Air Filter. (Airaid)

I would depend on my big old mouth plus this to get my car repaired.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

My theory is if I wanted a pleasure car I would have bought a Lincoln or Fusion and not a Mustang (Performance car) I don't race anymore and I'm happy with the way my car feels and goes so I really don't need a tuner. But if I did want one it would get installed.

Ronnie
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #9

I put on a C&L CIA and Roush axelback exhaust. My throttle body broke and Ford replaced it. No questions asked. They also just replaced all 4 rims because the clear coat was peeling off. Ford has been great. I actually went to a different dealer than who i bought it from. Didn't like the customer service from the dealer i bought it from.
silvrblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The best rule you can apply here is to talk to your local service advisor. Ronnie948 is correct by supplying links to read on, but when it comes down to it, Ford can be firm about a part causing damage and voiding a warranty. They most likely have some deaper pockets if it comes down to a civil case. You may win in the long run, but you could be out of a running car and finances for awhile during the case.

I did not modify anything until after the full 36K bumper to bumper. My logic was that if anything was going to fail, it would during this time period. I'm now on the 100K drivetrain warranty (my Mustang was a certified pre-owned, so it got this warranty too).

If you want to modify now, Just keep checking with a Ford dealer until you find one that works with you on the mods you want to install, and maintain the warranty. As some have stated, there are some dealers that do this.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
The first thing I did at less then 100 miles was my Magnaflow axleback mufflers & a K&N drop in air cleaner. If I wanted a tuner I sure would have put that on too. I could not stand how quiet the stock mufflers were. The pipe in a pipe also bothered me a lot when I looked at the back of my Mustang.
I do have the six year sixty thousand mile extended bumper to bumper warranty and if I ever do have a problem I'm sure it's not going to be caused by changing the mufflers and putting on a Cold Air Filter. (Airaid)

I would depend on my big old mouth plus this to get my car repaired.
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

My theory is if I wanted a pleasure car I would have bought a Lincoln or Fusion and not a Mustang (Performance car) I don't race anymore and I'm happy with the way my car feels and goes so I really don't need a tuner. But if I did want one it would get installed.

Ronnie
That may be the law, but when Ford tells you your warranty was voided, who do you think gonna pay that high priced lawyer to take Ford on.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
That may be the law, but when Ford tells you your warranty was voided, who do you think gonna pay that high priced lawyer to take Ford on.
That would be my concern too. You may finally win, but at the expense of not having a running vehicle while you fight it in court. That could be months or even years.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The best rule you can apply here is to talk to your local service advisor. Ronnie948 is correct by supplying links to read on, but when it comes down to it, Ford can be firm about a part causing damage and voiding a warranty. They most likely have some deaper pockets if it comes down to a civil case. You may win in the long run, but you could be out of a running car and finances for awhile during the case.

I did not modify anything until after the full 36K bumper to bumper. My logic was that if anything was going to fail, it would during this time period. I'm now on the 100K drivetrain warranty (my Mustang was a certified pre-owned, so it got this warranty too).

If you want to modify now, Just keep checking with a Ford dealer until you find one that works with you on the mods you want to install, and maintain the warranty. As some have stated, there are some dealers that do this.
Well my dealer today finally said I could go Catbacks with no problem. But could run into problems with CAI or K&N drop in.
Not planning on a tune so shouldn't need to go that route right?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Well my dealer today finally said I could go Catbacks with no problem. But could run into problems with CAI or K&N drop in.
Not planning on a tune so shouldn't need to go that route right?
The drop in filter won't really help you anyways....
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
The drop in filter won't really help you anyways....
True, other than not having to replace the air filter for a longer period....

Im curious though; what was their reasoning for the drop in K&N? It better not be for a MAF sensor failure. K&N claims a documented case from a dealer has never happened. Lots of myths out there that a oiled filter causes MAF failures. Simply not true when they are cleaned and oiled according to instructions.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
True, other than not having to replace the air filter for a longer period....

Im curious though; what was their reasoning for the drop in K&N? It better not be for a MAF sensor failure. K&N claims a documented case from a dealer has never happened. Lots of myths out there that a oiled filter causes MAF failures. Simply not true when they are cleaned and oiled according to instructions.
This dealer had no actual answer other than if not cleaned properly dirt particles might come lose. The oil thing was mentioned as a possibility. He just said they don't recommend it. Another dealer that actually sells Ford Racing products said that they had several cases of MAF sensor problems so again why take the chance. Now K&N also says any problems come from improper oiling by the customer so you know where that can lead regarding them backing your warranty. I could replace a lot of paper filters before I reach the cost of a K&N.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #17

Will removing the catalytic converter and running straight pipes to the muffler have any affect on performance? Living in Florida there is no annual state inspection so I am not concerned about that.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Will removing the catalytic converter and running straight pipes to the muffler have any affect on performance? Living in Florida there is no annual state inspection so I am not concerned about that.
You can, you'll gain like 15 hp, lose some low end torque, but the straight pipes would spun bad...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang