Convert V6 to GT or GT500 (hypothetically) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Convert V6 to GT or GT500 (hypothetically)

This is a hypothetical so please no "why would you", "that's stupid", etc

This isn't about actually doing it, but more the possibility.

What do you think it would take (would even be possible) to convert a 2013 V6 to a GT or even more boldly a GT500?
Of course we are talking about a new engine, but what else do you think would need to be upgraded?
Would the actual body be able to withstand the extra power of say a supercharged GT500?

A new driveshaft would be needed of course, as the current one can not even handle the power the V6 can put out (hence the limiter)

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Engine, trans, rear end, harness, ecu, fuel system
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
No need to change the rear end, all Mustangs now have the 8.8" rear end. And the fuel system is the same, except for the GT500 I believe which may have a higher capacity pump.

If you can get a donor car the swap is a lot easier because you will have most of the miscellaneous parts (different cooling lines, AC lines, etc). Lots of people have done the swap on 2005-10, including swapping the GT500 engine in Over at The Mustang Collective Forums - Powered by vBulletin there is a section with the details on the swap for 2005-10. As far as I know, no one has done the swap on a 2011+ yet, but it is possible to do.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Front suspension I'm guessing.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Front suspension I'm guessing.
I know the mounts are the same. but the brackets that connect to the mounts are different. don't ask me how or why I know that ;P

one thing i need to know, do the bellhousings have the same bolt pattern?
if so, you can "recycle" your v6's tranny. if not, you'll have to get a new one for the gt,

and the gt500 has a different tranny.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
No need to change the rear end, all Mustangs now have the 8.8" rear end. And the fuel system is the same, except for the GT500 I believe which may have a higher capacity pump.

If you can get a donor car the swap is a lot easier because you will have most of the miscellaneous parts (different cooling lines, AC lines, etc). Lots of people have done the swap on 2005-10, including swapping the GT500 engine in Over at The Mustang Collective Forums - Powered by vBulletin there is a section with the details on the swap for 2005-10. As far as I know, no one has done the swap on a 2011+ yet, but it is possible to do.
if you can spot me cash, i'd be more than happy to do a 13 gt500 swap

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Amen to that!
Someone can spot me the cash and I will detail all of it for them, pimp the crap out of their brand, and even make sweet sweet love to them if they want (or promise not to if that makes them more willing to sponsor me)

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post

Amen to that!
Someone can spot me the cash and I will detail all of it for them, pimp the crap out of their brand, and even make sweet sweet love to them if they want (or promise not to if that makes them more willing to sponsor me)
Gotta do what you gotta do.

Kinda reminds me of something recent
My friend is looking to buy a stang, and he was 1k short of one a really clean 01 GT
I told him that if he sleeps with the guy, he might talk him down :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Different weight springs.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I know the mounts are the same. but the brackets that connect to the mounts are different. don't ask me how or why I know that ;P

one thing i need to know, do the bellhousings have the same bolt pattern?
if so, you can "recycle" your v6's tranny. if not, you'll have to get a new one for the gt,

and the gt500 has a different tranny.

While the V6 and GT use the same transmission, the bell housings are different and they aren't interchangeable. So you need the GT transmission.

Quote:
---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------
Quote:

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Thie is way tooooo easy to do

First, Fill the trunk up with Money. I mean full.

Second, Drive to Las Vegas

Third, Go to Shelby America

Forth, Tell them exactly what you want.

Fifth, Give them the trunk full of money.

sixth, just wait

seventh, pick up your GT, GT500, Shelby, Super snake or whichever you told them you wanted. Just don't expect getting any change from that trunkfull of money.

See how easy that was, ???

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

sixth, just wait

seventh, pick up your GT, GT500, Shelby, Super snake or whichever you told them you wanted. Just don't expect getting any change from that trunkfull of money.

Ronnie
Hahaha

Now to just find that trunk full of money

Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'm just curious as to why? For way less, you can be just as fast boosting your car. 10 seconds in the 1/4 is faster than a stock GT500.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Here is someone that put the list together on his V6 going to the Coyote, A mear $16,442.
paddedwall.org -
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Here is someone that put the list together on his V6 going to the Coyote, A mear $16,442.
paddedwall.org -
Padded wall is right. No one who does this kind of swap buys all new components from Ford. That guy said the only way he would do it is buying everything new off the shelf because he wouldn't put used parts in his car. If you do it the way most people would - buy a donor car and limit how much you have to buy new from Ford, then you can do it for a heck of a lot less than his estimate.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

This is why I'm torn between doing a 302 motor swap or just popping a new 3.7l in cause it'll be supercharged and probably easier. If be happy to say I run 11's and still have a DD
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You should swap with a fiat instead
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
See everything I've read just states your cheaper trading up, but the Mustang especially the S197's makes it so nice because the engine bay is wide open for a modern car. And if your happy with the car why not.

Don't know about the new ones but to go the GT500 route you need a bigger fuel pump
Old 04-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

sixth, just wait

Ronnie
The latest issue of Fast Fords...Mustangs just did an article on the Shelby. Basically, they take a new GT (priced at around $32,000.00), and for the additional $39,000.00, they build you a Shelby. Then you add a few more options. This was back in 2011 I think the article stated.

So, for about $70,000.000, you have a basic Shelby, then you tick off a few more options. You'll be at $100,000.000 before you sign the final papers.

If I won the lotto, I'd have one, but for now, I sure like my V6!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
See everything I've read just states your cheaper trading up, but the Mustang especially the S197's makes it so nice because the engine bay is wide open for a modern car. And if your happy with the car why not.

Don't know about the new ones but to go the GT500 route you need a bigger fuel pump
I believe I read that the Shelby's use two fuel pumps to our one. It's a thirsty devil!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If your considering a motor swap, dont make it a GT's 5.0 or even the GT500 motor... Do something absolutely ridiculous that will be like nothing else.... Go big or go home
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well, the whole point of a motor swap, is to do something unique or affordable.

If you could get a totaled GT500 that had been hit super hard in the rear for $5k, it would be something worth considering. I've done a motor swap on a '00 Grand Prix going from a 3.1 to the 3.8 supercharged engine. The engine and heavy duty trans, with the harness and computer I needed, only ran me about $1300. Still, it was an affordable swap to a much more reliable engine that could put out a lot more horsepower.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Well, the whole point of a motor swap, is to do something unique or affordable.

If you could get a totaled GT500 that had been hit super hard in the rear for $5k, it would be something worth considering. I've done a motor swap on a '00 Grand Prix going from a 3.1 to the 3.8 supercharged engine. The engine and heavy duty trans, with the harness and computer I needed, only ran me about $1300. Still, it was an affordable swap to a much more reliable engine that could put out a lot more horsepower.
I will give you that. If you found a deal like that then I would jump on it too. I was kinda getting at if the OP did everything brand spankin new...I should have clarified.

Nice swap by the way, I would like to do something like that one day just for the learning experience.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #23

Region: Ohio
Quote:

sixth, just wait

Ronnie
+100000, lol.

At least you would get the legendary name Shelby on the back of you car.
peterzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang