Crankcase ventilation system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Crankcase ventilation system

Anybody know what type of CVS we have in the 2011+ mustangs? And how often it needs to be replaced/cleaned?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Our V6 3.7 has a PCV valve

It is on the passenger side and if you do anything at all your first mod will be to get a Oil Catch can (Oil Separator) to replace it.

I got mine from American Muscle. I got the JLT and used the forum discount. Very easy install because the JLT comes with the genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. I put mine on in about 30 seconds.

This will stop your engine from sludging up in time. It does have to be emptyed about every 3 to 5 thousand miles or so. A good first investment if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I have the same one you have. I was not aware that was the crankcase ventilation system. All the ones I've seen are little plugs with a little hole in it to stop the engine from over the limit compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thats what it is:

These new engines have a more closed system then the old days. They really think all of the blow by oil will be burned in the engine. It would be great if that was true but the problem is that the unburned oil just turns to sludge and will cause problems well after the warranty is over. This is something that should be on all cars right from the factory. Our 3.7 engines have not been out long enough to really see if they will ever have the sludge problem or not. I know the Mini Coopers have a very bad sludge problem because of the oil not completely being burned off in the combustion chamber. I just know that for a tad over $100.00 from American Muscle and the ease of installation I'm not going to wait and see if the sludge problem exists in our engines. I do know that when I did remove my stock hose it did have dripping oil in it.

I like the JLT because it does have a filter in it and is very high quality and well designed. Some people actually make their own but I like to have things that have been tested to function without problems on my car so I just bought one.

Ronnie
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. Thanks for the info. I was the same. I'll spend the hundred bucks for piece of mind.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

It was my first mod at about a thousand miles on the engine. Every time I drain the can, I know I made a good buy. However, the research I did, a lot of new engines still have a little vent plug to relieve pressure.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It is on the passenger side and if you do anything at all your first mod will be to get a Oil Catch can (Oil Separator) to replace it.

I got mine from American Muscle. I got the JLT and used the forum discount. Very easy install because the JLT comes with the genuine Ford hoses already connected to it. I put mine on in about 30 seconds.

This will stop your engine from sludging up in time. It does have to be emptyed about every 3 to 5 thousand miles or so. A good first investment if you plan on keeping your car for a long time.

Ronnie
+1 Ronnie, I think its next on my long list. It's a Great investment!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. We all agree its a good buy. But my question is if a crank case ventilation system exists for the mustang newer models. I found a bunch of 2012+ cars that still have them, as there is still a need for them in modern cars. Anyone have any idea what type of CCVS we have and where it is?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-found-10.html

Look at posts 136-139 and attached pictures, you can see how soon that carbon builds up, granted he was at 600+ HP for a few months before his engine gave out so I'm sure that increased blow by
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the link AK.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Even with a catch can, the PCV valve may still require replacement periodically... Here's a pic of the pcv valve (passenger side):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pcv.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	103666  
Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

By the engine side?

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

So it's the part the catch can connects to on the side closest to the engine?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Also, anybody know why the V6 only needs one catch can? If you look at the other side, that tube has oil in it too...
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Yes, by the engine side (valve cams cover). The passenger side is the "push" side, pulling into the intake; the drivers side is the "return" side if the engine vetilation system. Only needed on the passenger side.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'm just not making the connection here, but that tube hooks up to the top of the engine on my driver side and then to my CAI... Wouldn't I want to catch that oil there too? What's the difference between that and the GT?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The PCV system forcibly withdraws and disposes of (by re-burning) gaseous combustion by-products, including acidic, alkaline, and water vapors, which would otherwise only be ejected by the pressure of the piston ring blow-by, and whatever was ejected when the piston's motion created pressure in the crankcase.

However the more cylinders you have the more the up and down motion of the pistons cancel out any net crankcase pressurization caused solely by the engine's mechanical activity within the crankcase.

This, makes it more critical on an engine that is never run long enough to boil off these nasties--what they then do is condense in the crankcase, and cam/valve covers, each according to its own saturation limit (I.e. "dew point"). If the oil never gets hot enough to boil them off they stay there and form sludge.

However an active PCV system sucks these gasses out using manifold vacuum (passenger side) (this typically happens when the engine is idling or running under moderate and constant load), drawing in clean air at the same time (drivers side)--it works best in combination with proper engine operation; but it's better than just breathers even if the engine is never run hot enough to boil off the oil fumes.

You only need the catch can on the vacumn side, as this is where the engine draws the oil vapor into the intake for re-burning. The drivers side flows air from the intake to the engine (no crankcase pressure here).
Old 04-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the twenty questions, but the male end on both sides looks the same. Do you know why it isn't needed. I'll read the link you posted right now. I appreciate the help, Bucko. I see you on here a lot and are always a huge help in every forum you post in. Thanks man.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Nosymathy is getting oil out the drivers side only. If I did one side, I'd do both. The engineers that came up with the catch can, designed one for both sides for a reason.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Sorry for the twenty questions, but the male end on both sides looks the same. Do you know why it isn't needed. I'll read the link you posted right now. I appreciate the help, Bucko. I see you on here a lot and are always a huge help in every forum you post in. Thanks man.
I edited my response, as I searched and found a better explaination as to the divers side (drawing air into the crankcase) and passenger side (expelling the nasties from the crankase into the intake for re-burning). It's really the passenger side that will capture the crankcase oil crap.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So that article I read kind of makes me think having one on both sides is a good idea...
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
So that article I read kind of makes me think having one on both sides is a good idea...
Some folks do this, but the side of our crankcase ventilation system that allows for the oil and fumes to be re-burned is on the passenger side: valve cover to engine intake; this is where you want to capture the oil mist that's being sucked into the engine. The drivers side vacumn is from the air cleaner to the intake: no oil or nasty vapor here.....just fresh outside being vacumned in to the engine valve cover on the drivers side as I see it.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I see what you're saying, but I took the tube off on both sides on the driver side, and both sides, engine and CAI had oil residue on it...? What's up with that?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but I took the tube off on both sides on the driver side, and both sides, engine and CAI had oil residue on it...? What's up with that?
Interesting....that would indicate pressure "out" from the drivers side too. I always saw it as the drivers side as the "inlet" side of the vacumn, and the passengers side as the "outlet", and being routed back to the intake to be re-burned.

Maybe on de-acceleration both sides allow for the blowby?

Might make me dig more......
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered my catch can for the driver side as well... I don't want the oil residue going into my throttle body. For me, the hundred bucks is worth the peace of mind. If you find anything out, keep me updated, please.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Read this, i think the history of the CVS is cool Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I watched a show this morning about the history of it and why to keep it clean. That's what sparked my interest.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't know if it's true or not

From what I have read on these forums is that the GT V8 mustangs need the catch can on both sides but the 3.7 V6 does only need the catch can on the passenger side.That is unless you either supercharge or turbo charge the V6 3.7. Then do both sides. The V8's always need both sides.

Bucko probably knows way more the I do about this. I just know that I have the catch can on my passenger side and it does trap a lot of oil.

Maybe someone from American Muscle can clue us in on if our 3.7's need both sides or just the passenger side.

Ronnie
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I know they recommend only the passenger for the V6, I just wanna know why...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think Bucko was 100% correct when he said :

Quote:
The drivers side vacumn is from the air cleaner to the intake: no oil or nasty vapor here.....just fresh outside being vacumned in to the engine valve cover on the drivers side
I found a company that actually sell a breather that replaces you oil fill cap to actually vent the crankcase a lot better then it is.

>>> http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmbilletvalv...mustanggt.aspx

Ronnie
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Bucko, here's why you're confused.

Low rpm, high vacuum: Passenger PCV is closed to prevent a vacuum leak and inoperable. Crank gasses are then expelled and consumed from the driver's side PCV where intake vacuum is lower.

High rpm, low vacuum: Passenger PCV opens, driver's side PCV reverses operation from expel to intake.

Make a bit more sense? Yes, the driver's side does put oil residue into the engine, just at a much slower rate. When it's in use is only when you're sitting still and very little blow by is in the crank case.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Bam! Awesome bro! Finally answered my question! Thanks a bunch, Sanguin.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good info. I guess if your driving habits put you at more idle conditions, such as city stop and go, a catch device on the drivers side could be worth while. In my driving conditions, I spend quite a bit of time at highway speeds. Very little idle.

However, I will inspect the drivers side tube for oil residue, and perhaps put a breather on that side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang