Louder Sound Idea!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Louder Sound Idea!!

hey guys, I've been watching lots of YouTube vids on exhaust and I forgot about muffler deleting, since I don't have the money for exhaust and won't have it for a while, would it be smart to cut my stock mufflers off for now till I get my pypes axle backs, or run it stock which I can't handle for too long, lol I have to have some kind of sound or something? help, thx, V6 POWER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I just went outside and looked at my stock muffler, and there's a bolt that holds the muffler and I'm guessing if I remove that then it's considered muffler delete, thus making the car louder. I think lol
Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I think your tailpipe would then be under your car which isn't ideal it would make it louder but you would essentially be pumping exhaust fumes righ t under your car. Carbon Monoxide risk? Idk. Never done it.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

And it may through a engine code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can take your mufflers off. Mufflers don't have any relation to emissions. You will have a much louder exhaust and no tail pipes to be seen. If its only 1 bolt off, then it's only 1 bolt back on if you don't like it.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
your pipes wil be banging around.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
your pipes wil be banging around.
That too.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hhmmmm, I tried to see if it was illegal in my state, Texas. I think it is, but not sure. I took apart my pipe that the clamp is holding (the muffler and main pipe) and I'm not sure if I tighten it right because my car sounds a little louder, like there's a little bit of sound coming from it. but will that effect the car in a negative way?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
your pipes will be banging around.
The Mufflers are the only thing holding the exhaust up, the only other place it is attached to the car is the exhaust Manifolds.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Old 04-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheMustang View Post
Hhmmmm, I tried to see if it was illegal in my state, Texas. I think it is, but not sure. I took apart my pipe that the clamp is holding (the muffler and main pipe) and I'm not sure if I tighten it right because my car sounds a little louder, like there's a little bit of sound coming from it. but will that effect the car in a negative way?
IMHO you will sacrifice low end torque. You need free flowing mufflers with the proper back pressure.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I've taken off my mufflers and let them hang till I had enough money to buy mufflers.

1. Yes they will rattle on your rear end. I used a hose clamp to lift it up to keep them from rattling.

2. No you won't lose power. I actually felt a gain in power from taken them off.

3. It's not illegal i live in Texas also.

And also yes it's cheaper and easier to go to a muffler shop and have something welded in. But it just looks nicer to have something you can take on and off.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

alright guys, little update. just fixed my noise coming from my exhaust and they sound back to stock again. I just loosened it up and aligned it and started it, and it's back to normal.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
IMHO you will sacrifice low end torque. You need free flowing mufflers with the proper back pressure.
I've lost about as much back pressure as possible, but when you step on it, you can tell the car is faster, significantly faster. O/r pipes ftw
Old 04-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You won't want to drive it without a tail pipe anyway. The exhaust will reverb off the ground and back into the cabin. You'll have a headache every time you drive the car.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post
I've taken off my mufflers and let them hang till I had enough money to buy mufflers.

1. Yes they will rattle on your rear end. I used a hose clamp to lift it up to keep them from rattling.

2. No you won't lose power. I actually felt a gain in power from taken them off.

3. It's not illegal i live in Texas also.

And also yes it's cheaper and easier to go to a muffler shop and have something welded in. But it just looks nicer to have something you can take on and off.
Wait....there's laws in Texas? Haha
Old 04-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've read on other forums that they are illegal and some saying the opposite. idk what to do until I see type/written proof or hear it from a cop myself or something. lol
Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
You won't want to drive it without a tail pipe anyway. The exhaust will reverb off the ground and back into the cabin. You'll have a headache every time you drive the car.
+1. Not a fun 2 hour road trip I must say

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
I've read on other forums that they are illegal and some saying the opposite. idk what to do until I see type/written proof or hear it from a cop myself or something. lol
The things on mustangs is that if you get caught its illegal. Like here in Alabama we just have to have a muffler of some sort. Hell, a paper towel roll with paper in it will suffice. Just to give you an idea.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Region: Michigan
I don't know if this would work! But maybe drill some holes in your mufflers to make them louder. Then if u don't like it reseal them with Jb weld. Or maybe this is a stupid idea!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyweld View Post
I don't know if this would work! But maybe drill some holes in your mufflers to make them louder. Then if u don't like it reseal them with Jb weld. Or maybe this is a stupid idea!
You might be a Redneck if... ^

Lmao
Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

You might be a Redneck if... ^

Lmao
Lol! It's got to be better than removing the muffler all together! Me personally I would just buy the after market exhaust!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol! It's got to be better than removing the muffler all together! Me personally I would just buy the after market exhaust!
I've got three different exhausts for mine
Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #21

Quote:

I've got three different exhausts for mine
I haven't done any mods! I've been thinking about a new mmr air intake and filter!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I haven't done any mods! I've been thinking about a new mmr air intake and filter!
Steeda Cai all the way. Most gains from any Cai for our motor. It's the only one with a larger intake tube, therefore making it a tuner required Cai.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:

Steeda Cai all the way. Most gains from any Cai for our motor. It's the only one with a larger intake tube, therefore making it a tuner required Cai.
I believe the tuners void my warranty!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe the tuners void my warranty!
I just had warranty work on my car with the tuner attached to it. Lol. They have the prove that the aftermarket part (ie tuner) caused the problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #25

Quote:

I just had warranty work on my car with the tuner attached to it. Lol. They have the prove that the aftermarket part (ie tuner) caused the problem.
I don't have that good of luck with dealers! I've had my car in the shop a lot for small things so I'm gun shy about doing things to the motor! Auctually I usually end up fixing the problems lately!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't have that good of luck with dealers! I've had my car in the shop a lot for small things so I'm gun shy about doing things to the motor! Auctually I usually end up fixing the problems lately!
I had my cai, full exhaust, and tune on it when I took it in. Just make sure to tell them not to flash your ecm
Old 04-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If your set on doing this, buy some clamps and we'd on hangers, and piping. Experiment
And use jd weld unless you have an actual welder that you kno how to use
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Please....no!

The Mustang is too nice of a vehicle for this type of shade tree engineering!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire
If your set on doing this, buy some clamps and we'd on hangers, and piping. Experiment
And use jd weld unless you have an actual welder that you kno how to use
JB weld? Don't let the name fool ya, it wouldn't make it around the block before it broke. Smh
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Local muffler shop cost be 40 bucks to cut off mufflers and put pipe..I told them they could keep mufflers....got it for free
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
hey guys, I've been watching lots of YouTube vids on exhaust and I forgot about muffler deleting, since I don't have the money for exhaust and won't have it for a while, would it be smart to cut my stock mufflers off for now till I get my pypes axle backs, or run it stock which I can't handle for too long, lol I have to have some kind of sound or something? help, thx, V6 POWER!!
I pulled mine off within a month or two of buying my car. Pulling them off is not as easy as you think and it's a real pain to get the mufflers off the hangers. Use exhaust wrap to secure and pad the pipes under the car. It took some trial and error but I have been rattle free for months and months now. It won't throw any codes and your not going to smell any exhaust in the car. if you stick your head under the car you can barely smell it still. You still have cats so really the smell and emissions are still the same, just louder without a muffler
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

I pulled mine off within a month or two of buying my car. Pulling them off is not as easy as you think and it's a real pain to get the mufflers off the hangers. Use exhaust wrap to secure and pad the pipes under the car. It took some trial and error but I have been rattle free for months and months now. It won't throw any codes and your not going to smell any exhaust in the car. if you stick your head under the car you can barely smell it still. You still have cats so really the smell and emissions are still the same, just louder without a muffler
Unbolting the hangers is the easiest way to remove them
Old 04-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
Local muffler shop cost be 40 bucks to cut off mufflers and put pipe..I told them they could keep mufflers....got it for free
Does your car sound like a snowmobile?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
No way little pop if I rev first over 3 grand without staying hard on it...but a highbrow resonator well two just welded somewhere in my mid pipe would catch that sound they told me
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
No way little pop if I rev first over 3 grand without staying hard on it...but a highbrow resonator well two just welded somewhere in my mid pipe would catch that sound they told me
Do you have a sub woofer with a 1000 watt power amp? Car lowered?
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang