Wheel & Tire idea - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Fenderfreak145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington DC
Region: Virginia
Posts: 133
Wheel & Tire idea

Hey guys!

Just thinking a bit about some new wheels and tires, probably going to pull the trigger in the next 60 days or so. I've got a couple questions about different sized rims and whether it will work or if I'd be opening a can of whoopass on myself.

I was originally looking to get the 19" GT500 "style" rims from AM in the staggered configuration but after driving a GT500 (don't know why the guy let me take it around the block etc) and seeing that they have 19" up front and 20" in the rear that's what I'm looking at now.

Would there be a problem getting the Charcoal AMR wheel in 19/8.5 up front and 20/10 in the back?

Pro? Con?

Am I crazy?
__________________
2016 Black GT PP
Fenderfreak145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Billymich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 861
On a V6? Why add so much grip and weight to a V6?
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
Hey guys!

Just thinking a bit about some new wheels and tires, probably going to pull the trigger in the next 60 days or so. I've got a couple questions about different sized rims and whether it will work or if I'd be opening a can of whoopass on myself.

I was originally looking to get the 19" GT500 "style" rims from AM in the staggered configuration but after driving a GT500 (don't know why the guy let me take it around the block etc) and seeing that they have 19" up front and 20" in the rear that's what I'm looking at now.

Would there be a problem getting the Charcoal AMR wheel in 19/8.5 up front and 20/10 in the back?

Pro? Con?

Am I crazy?
Not Crazy, I like the staggered look but I still think a 20 inch wheel is looks out of place on a Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
On a V6? Why add so much grip and weight to a V6?
Grip is nice, and on a V6 that carves corners it is real nice, for me if I had a 295 width tire on the back I would be pulling way over 1.2 G's in the corners ( only 1.19 now )
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post
On a V6? Why add so much grip and weight to a V6?
Why so much hate on the new sixxers? Stock for stock, they outperform any 2004 gt or lower. You also forget that first gear is a 4.10ish and for those of us with gears I stalled, that's a lot of traction problems. That answers grip
As far as weight, they really aren't much heavier than the stock wheels...
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
2300turboford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 2,903
I think chrome roush wheels would look good
__________________
"Racing is life ,anything before or after is just waiting "-the king of cool -Steve McQueen
2300turboford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Why so much hate on the new sixxers? Stock for stock, they outperform any 2004 gt or lower. You also forget that first gear is a 4.10ish and for those of us with gears I stalled, that's a lot of traction problems. That answers grip
As far as weight, they really aren't much heavier than the stock wheels...
The millions of layers of plasti dip add more weight than a set of 19/9 and 19/10s. The car is gonna be heavy regardless. It's a mustang. But the grip can also come from tires, not just width. But width helps
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Richard07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 71
I say go for it.
Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Why so much hate on the new sixxers? Stock for stock, they outperform any 2004 gt or lower. You also forget that first gear is a 4.10ish and for those of us with gears I stalled, that's a lot of traction problems. That answers grip
As far as weight, they really aren't much heavier than the stock wheels...
Haters gonna hate bro
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Get sve wheels from lmr they come staggered 18 inches all the way around. But 8.5 front and 10 in the back. They also come with nitto nt555s great tire and great traction another benefit, 1300 shipped mounted and balanced
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
dgrum04's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 526
Big fan of the AM 13' GT500 rims. If they weren't on back order, I would probably have a set myself.
__________________
2011 Kona Blue 3.7L. Stock motor. Roush Axle-Back. 19" x 8.5/10" Charcoal AMR's. GT500 Spoiler. Smoked Raxiom Tail Lights. MCA grille. Shorty antenna.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Not a problem at all, just talk to AM and they'll hook you up. Both sizes are the same price. As for the GT500 style, those would be hard as **** to clean... I went with the staggered AMR's. I still think the GT500's look sick, though.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendora California
Region: California
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Not a problem at all, just talk to AM and they'll hook you up. Both sizes are the same price. As for the GT500 style, those would be hard as **** to clean... I went with the staggered AMR's. I still think the GT500's look sick, though.
Why do u think they would be harder to clean?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
They just have smaller areas in between the spokes. Plus, I have staggered, and the rear wheel is hard to clean the inside of. It's so deep and hard to get to. The GT500 ones, you'd have get under the car and clean them from the inside. They look sick, it's just gonna be more maintenance.

And, all the haters say you don't need wides in the back are dumb. I was getting to the point where if I really got on it, my 7.5" would spin into third. Now I have General Gmax's, I can lay into it and launch clean.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
alrefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
They just have smaller areas in between the spokes. Plus, I have staggered, and the rear wheel is hard to clean the inside of. It's so deep and hard to get to. The GT500 ones, you'd have get under the car and clean them from the inside. They look sick, it's just gonna be more maintenance.

And, all the haters say you don't need wides in the back are dumb. I was getting to the point where if I really got on it, my 7.5" would spin into third. Now I have General Gmax's, I can lay into it and launch clean.
I feel like once you get a tune the 7" are useless ;p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Yeah. That's the whole reason I went with the super grippy ten inch in the back. I no longer have any issues with the slippage.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
I got 10s in the back. What size tire do you have?
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I went with 19". I'm not a huge fan of 'dubs' and 18" are a little small for a big body.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
No tires like 275, 285, 295?
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Oh. My bad. It's four in the morning here and cold out, so I'm not gonna go check, but I'm ninety percent sure they're 295 off of the top of my head. I'm on twenty four hour duty and pretty tired.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Its all good I'd be sleeping lol
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I would be in la la land if I could. Damn twenty four hour duty kills me. I hate it.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
clamphier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houstom
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,286
Its all good I'd be sleeping lol
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:25 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.