Quarter Window Louvers and Side Scoop for 2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
Tik

Region: Canada
Quarter Window Louvers and Side Scoop for 2014

I was thinking about purchasing quarter window louvers and side scoops for the 2014 Mustang V6 that I just purchased. Woo!

I was looking into the pre-painted ones from AM and my question was with regards to the paint on these parts. What is the likelihood that the color on these parts will fade? I don't want to get in a situation where 4-5 years down the line, the louvers and scoops are a lighter tint than the body. The car is all black.

PS. first post!

-James
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
They use the same paint and clear coat so if you bought them now they would fade exactly the same as the actual car paint....which doesn't fade (that much)

I'm looking into the same thing myself but I'm thinking about just doing the blackout panel instead of the louvers.

Side note: What's the hit on blind spot visibility with the louvers/blackout panels? Is it hard to switch lanes without turning into a bobble head?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I planned to purchase the side quarter windows (flush mount), but backed off. There is a good blind spot when turning left out into traffic from a residential type turn.

I'd offer as suggestion: drive the Mustang for a few weeks prior to ordering/installing the side quarter window louvers. See if you have any of these blind issues. If not, go for it.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Same paint and clear coat. Same painting process ford does. Just installed my Eleanor's and side scoops from MMD and I LOVE them. Go for it! **** blind spots if you look bad ***!!
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Go for it! **** blind spots if you look bad ***!!
Hahaha that is a quote I feel like I will use in the future.

So it looks like paint fading is no longer a concern thanks to you guys. Now it seems like I will have to take a look a the blind spot situation. I don't think it will be an issue for me because I've been driving it for a few days now and I don't remember ever using the quarter window to actually check my blind spot. I think I've been going bobble head mode as FenderFreak mentioned.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's my quote. But you can use it. No trademark.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
It's my quote. But you can use it. No trademark.
Good one to tell the police should you ever hit someone (or get hit) when pulling out into traffic!

Yikes. Hope it never happens to anyone. There are several options I toyed with installing, but because I drive over 600 miles a week on my Mustang, I have to take issue with safety.

When I was a teenager back in the 70's, my neighbor had a red 69 Mustang Mach1; his brother had a 68 Charger (428 Hemi). I dreamed and drooled over owning a Mustang like his; it had the rear window louver, and side quarter window covers.
I own a 2011 Race Red Mustang, but the blind spots from the quarter windows would get the car hit, either by my stupidity of not seeing a driver if I change lanes, or by pulling out into a intersection, or perhaps it's my being older. I have to be honest with myself.

Otherwise, I'd have them both installed on my Mustang.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you have enough horsepower, you won't get hit! Just give it gas and leave the rest to God.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good one to tell the police should you ever hit someone (or get hit) when pulling out into traffic!

Yikes. Hope it never happens to anyone. There are several options I toyed with installing, but because I drive over 600 miles a week on my Mustang, I have to take issue with safety.

When I was a teenager back in the 70's, my neighbor had a red 69 Mustang Mach1; his brother had a 68 Charger (428 Hemi). I dreamed and drooled over owning a Mustang like his; it had the rear window louver, and side quarter window covers.
I own a 2011 Race Red Mustang, but the blind spots from the quarter windows would get the car hit, either by my stupidity of not seeing a driver if I change lanes, or by pulling out into a intersection, or perhaps it's my being older. I have to be honest with myself.

Otherwise, I'd have them both installed on my Mustang.
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to take this into consideration. I think I might go to my local Ford Dealer and ask my sales guy for a test drive in one of the stangs with an accessory pack, I think they had a used one when I was there last.

Quote:
Just give it gas and leave the rest to God.
Another golden quote from the Puma
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

=P
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to take this into consideration. I think I might go to my local Ford Dealer and ask my sales guy for a test drive in one of the stangs with an accessory pack, I think they had a used one when I was there last.

Another golden quote from the Puma
Quote:
If you have enough horsepower, you won't get hit! Just give it gas and leave the rest to God.
Assuming he's watching. With my luck, he'd be out fishing.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Best comment on this post LMFAO TOUCHÉ SIR
vegasmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quarter Window Louvers and Side Scoop for 2014

I have quarter louvers and have never side swiped someone so hey. Lol if I'm driving, I can see nothing out of my left quarter window (but I don't think id be able to even without the louvers). If I need to look through the right quarter window, I can see through the gills in the louver. They aren't that big, but it's enough to see a car through them. Thank god for the blind spot mirrors on our cars though! They are the bee's knees.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I have quarter louvers and have never side swiped someone so hey. Lol if I'm driving, I can see nothing out of my left quarter window (but I don't think id be able to even without the louvers). If I need to look through the right quarter window, I can see through the gills in the louver. They aren't that big, but it's enough to see a car through them. Thank god for the blind spot mirrors on our cars though! They are the bee's knees.

Driving convertibles for the past 23 years, you just get used to major blind spots when the top is up. You need to stay aware of what is going on around you.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I love the AM MMD ones...who needs to see anyways
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

AM's paint match was perfect.

TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I agree Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1393803414.582723.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	892.1 KB
ID:	149493
Mike2014V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
+1
I got my louvers about at week ago and completely agree. Didn't take that long to get used to them, It's really not an issue. The paint match is perfect. I just love this mod. I say go for it
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
looks great!

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2014V6 View Post
looks great!
GlobalMega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Agreed Thanks to those blind spot mirrors I've avoided more than one trip to the body shop lol.
MadGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The slits on these classic ones still provide some visibility but not a whole lot. Like someone said earlier I'm glad the installed those blind spot mirrors!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394441320118.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	150169  
air_commando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have mirrors and windows in the doors, still trying to figure out why all that say you can't see with the louvers there are doing, before I put the louvers on I never looked out the 1/4 windows so why would I start now.
But I will tell you I have driven trucks for over 30 years and on most of those it was the mirror or nothing so I am used to using the mirrors.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
I have mirrors and windows in the doors, still trying to figure out why all that say you can't see with the louvers there are doing, before I put the louvers on I never looked out the 1/4 windows so why would I start now.
But I will tell you I have driven trucks for over 30 years and on most of those it was the mirror or nothing so I am used to using the mirrors.
I look out of the right quarter window to see if there are cars in my blind spot. Sometimes while going down the highway at 75 miles per hour, I need a little more assurance that I'm not going to be pitted by another car than looking at the mirrors. Lol I can see, though, that being a truck driver, you'd have to learn to rely on your mirrors since there's zero rearwards visibility.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang