Spark plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Spark plugs

What do you use. I have just about every upgrade aside from FI, and want some nice racing ones. Any input?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Cash burning a hole in the wallet heh?

This will be an interesting post that I'll watch. Most have not reached the mileage level to have to replace yet; I only have 45K on my 2011.

Will be interested to see the responses.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not so much that, you can get some nice rated ones on amazon for around six bucks a pop. Besides, I work for uncle sam. No such thing as extra cash for us. I only have 16k miles on mine, but want to get some nice ones to optimize gas mileage and have better spark. Google is really helping on brands for this inquiry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'd refrain from the "E3" types. I've read where they work great on small engines, such as lawn mowers, which is what they were originally designed to work for. I've also read that they really do not offer much in the way of MPG for their price, nor do they provide any power gains. I hear about them on those Saturday/Sunday car shows though; they sponser quite a few of them.

But that's just what I've read about; I have no actual experience with them. When I do replace plugs, I like the platinum tips; they seem to wear longer.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Never heard of them... So far I'm looking at NGK iridium racing ones for six bucks a pop, but a lot of tuners use them. Bosch also makes a mix one between iridium and platinum... I wanna know what's best for a moderately modified Pony...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You're not gaining anything. The only reason not to run stock plugs is to change heat range for various reasons. Anything else is a waste, you're gaining nothing.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not looking for HP gains, just more fuel efficient and ones designed for the V6 pony...
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Listen to Sanguin

Your not going to get any better performance or Miles to a gallon changing your spark plugs. It just is a big waste of $$$$ unless you change a bunch of other stuff on your engine. Even then you might just want to use the standard plugs. All the things do is ignite the fuel mixture. If it ignites properly with the standard plugs, Other plugs ain't gonna do any better. (NO MATTER WHAT THE ADVERTISEMENTS TELL YOU)

Buy fancy goofy plugs and get the wrong heat range and you could destroy a piston or two.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.howrah.org/spark-plug.html

This isn't an advertisement. Simply information, which simply got me thinking. No need to get all uppity and upset, bro. I was asking for opinions if anyone found some they like, so I could research it more.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
I like motorcraft original
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sorry Puma

I sure wasn't getting uppity, I was just stating the facts. You asked for opinions and I gave you one.

You also need to know that some of the snake oil spark plugs will cause problems with the coils on these engines.

This is one time I would suggest that you stick to the standard plugs.

Quote:
Sanguin:
You're not gaining anything. The only reason not to run stock plugs is to change heat range for various reasons. Anything else is a waste, you're gaining nothing.
Very good advice from someone who knows.

Ronnie
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Alright. My bad. Just saw a bunch of CAPS and talking down. I only have 16k miles so I definitely don't need to change them. I was just curious if there was a brand outside of FMC that might work better. I was asking because I know Ford skimped out on some stuff in the 11+ Pony's (driveshaft mainly) and was wondering if spark plugs were also one. They really are an understated but very vital part of the engine.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Waste of money. Changing out coil packs and spark plugs for performance and economy is a bogus idea. Your mainly paying for the material used ie: copper, platinum, and iridium which have a longer operating duty depending which you pick. At 16k I wouldn't be thinking about this for maintenance.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

At what mileage would that be a good idea to start thinking about it as maintenance?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They say 100,000 miles

Not me, I'm going to replace them at about 60,000 to 75,000 miles with the same ones I have in it now. They are probably good to 100,000 but That is with ideal conditions and always great gas. For what they cost I think around 60,000 is a good time.

Ronnie
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. I'll probably do the same, maybe earlier because we have winter nine months out of the year here in Germany. Can't possibly be considered good driving conditions.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Where are you in Germany?

I was stationed in Heidelberg back in the 60's.

Ronnie
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, nice. Heidelberg has closed down, but it's still a nice place. Been there a few times. Most fun is just cruising the Pony all over Europe. Especially in countries Americans aren't stationed. It's like driving a unicorn. Most Europeans have never even seen one before.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
An independent study that compared all kinds of funky gadget spark plugs to standard ones, they found one thing: Every spark plug performed the same, the only difference was gaining power by putting in new ones. It didn't matter what new ones, just any kind.

That said: iridium lasts longer than double platinum, which lasts longer than platinum, which lasts longer than copper. The factory plugs probably won't even show wear until 60k, still serviceable until 100k. You can spend money all you want on fancy designs (I do like NGKs btw), but you're just throwing money away until you put some more miles on your car.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. Thanks for the information. I might still replace at 50k just because Germany has got to be the worst country to drive in other than Siberia, Russia... But with all being said above, I'll probably go ahead and just stick with FMC. I'm assuming they have iridium?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Changed coil packs and New NGK plugs seemed to get better mpg
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Its will help but jot noticeably. You could regap them but I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a dyno or know what you are doing. Never use e3 though they will melt, iridium is good.
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Gapping plugs is easy...
Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Right on
Bakiebruno5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma
I'm not looking for HP gains, just more fuel efficient and ones designed for the V6 pony...
I thought you get 42mpg on the auto baun now ?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but knowing what to set them to and to see the difference because you won't really feel it
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang