oil changed? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I work at advance and the deal with mobile one also we do a motorcraft for 25 and another quart so about 35 when said n done with tax guys!
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I used to use Motul every 3000. But could not afford anymore so royal purple evey 7000 for my stang
jaylee1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo55 View Post
well i guess ill talk to my dealership then because i have 3923 miles but the car says oil life is at 64%
My dealership said the same thing every 5 thousand. When I called to make my first oil change app. At 1000 ( like I had always heard) we had this conversation. Also I went online and did some research and found what my salesman had said to be true. I have almost 4000 now and will be taking her in for her first oil change within the next month. Going at 50 percent on synthetics is perfectly fine
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Uh, yes, it does (run longer). Most full synthetics brag they can do up to 15K, depending on driving conditions (towing and stop/go will lower the interval). If you use Ford's semi-synthetic (blend as you refered it to) and Ford's information center, that can take you into the 6K range.

In the 3.7 V6 specs they released, Ford stated they added an extra quart of oil to its oil pan capacity to allow for longer intervals between oil changes, and that was with their semi-synthetic blend. The Ford engineers did a great job designing this engine; I take full advatage of it.

For me, spending 4 to 6 bucks for a quart of synthetic, only to dump it at 3K is a waste of the oils capability.

But it's your money. Change the oil whenever you want to, with whatever you want.
Then how come the manual says it takes 5 quarts?

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Just use the regular intervals as per Ford with motorcraft branded oil and you'll be good to go. No one knows your Ford better than Ford.
I agree been running 7200 miles on our Flex with Motorcraft Semi and no problems.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

Yeah mobil 1 is good I just got 5 qt full synthetic and a Bosch oil filter for 32 bucks for my parents 1988 ranger 2.9 v6 with 480k miles
Putting a synthetic oil in a car that has been run on conventional for a long time is usually asking for trouble. The synthetic oils now days don't just lubricate better but also help reduce carbon and other types of deposits that often build up in a motor over time. Putting synthetic in the car now would likely start breaking down these deposits... Might as well dump some sand in there. The proper way to convert a conventional car to synthetic is to have a shop drain and flush the system

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

My buddie gets 50% off anything lol regional manager so he calls any O'Reilys to give me the discount haha
Hook a brother up!!! Lol

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

[QUOTE="Midnight2012;1629034"]

Not sure why your manual says 5... The car defiantly eats 6 qt no problem and the dip stick shows a good level... It's 6 brother, just trust me, or put 5 in and check your oil level, it will be to low or just barely within the recommend level.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM   #41
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I agree been running 7200 miles on our Flex with Motorcraft Semi and no problems.
Page 305 of my 2011 owners manual clearly states 6 quarts for the 3.7 (with oil filter change), and 8 quarts for the 5.0 V8.

Check your owners manual. This is the 2011 and up V6 Mustang forum. Maybe you are a 2010 and below V6? Although your site name states otherwise (midnight2012).
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I do a full sythentic swap every 5K. What it boils down to in the end is that everyone will have their own opinion on when to change their oil. I prefer to keep mine running for a long time. If you have the time and little bit of extra money to do it every 2-3K by all means go for it. If you wait 7K thats on you but im not going to tell you that youre wrong ...
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Page 305 of my 2011 owners manual clearly states 6 quarts for the 3.7 (with oil filter change), and 8 quarts for the 5.0 V8.

Check your owners manual. This is the 2011 and up V6 Mustang forum. Maybe you are a 2010 and below V6? Although your site name states otherwise (midnight2012).
Thanks Bucko

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

Putting a synthetic oil in a car that has been run on conventional for a long time is usually asking for trouble. The synthetic oils now days don't just lubricate better but also help reduce carbon and other types of deposits that often build up in a motor over time. Putting synthetic in the car now would likely start breaking down these deposits... Might as well dump some sand in there. The proper way to convert a conventional car to synthetic is to have a shop drain and flush the system

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Hook a brother up!!! Lol

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------
Appreciate it. Thank you
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lucas stabilizer

Quote:
I use Royal Purple HPS 5W20 and do it every 5-7K depending how the oil looks when I check it on a white napkin if it shows purple still then its still good if its too brown/black then I change it. I also like to break in the new oil for like 50miles just to be nice to my engine lol I also add lucas engine oil addative. Not many ppl use it but I do. Thats just my routine everyone is different and everyone has their favorite oil and filter combo
Thanks for posting this as I have used Lucas in all my former hot rods. I want to
use it in my 3.7 after it goes over 50,000 miles, I'm only at 14,700 miles now. I
use NAPA Gold "Full Synthetic" which is made by Valvoline. At 5 quarts it did not
fill the pony, I added 1/2 qt. of Valvoline to it and will check it to see if it needs more
today. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post

Thanks for posting this as I have used Lucas in all my former hot rods. I want to
use it in my 3.7 after it goes over 50,000 miles, I'm only at 14,700 miles now. I
use NAPA Gold "Full Synthetic" which is made by Valvoline. At 5 quarts it did not
fill the pony, I added 1/2 qt. of Valvoline to it and will check it to see if it needs more
today. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago.
I have yet to find another person that uses Lucas. I have 30k miles and only used it after I hit 20k. Ive used it in my previous mustang and she had 80k miles and ran like a champ still

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Quote:

From what my buddy said at O'Reilys the 3.7L uses 5.36qts exactly. So I usually buy a 5qt jug of Royal Purple and fill the rest with lucas.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #46
Admin

Supporter
Admin

This made me look for the article I read up on before my purchase of the new V6, found several interview writtings from several Ford performance magazines. Heres one from Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords:

To get the skinny, MM&FF sat down with engineers Greg Johnson, Al Cockerill and Jim Mazuchowski at Ford's powertrain headquarters in Dearborn and we came away with all the details on the new engine, developed from start to finish in only 36 months.

Read more: 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
Inside, the new engine uses piston-cooling oil jets mounted in the die-cast aluminum block that allows a higher compression ratio and a greater amount of spark advance for power production. With check valves in place, the cooling jets work only when the engine is hot and highly stressed. And, speaking of oil, you won't have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012).
Old 04-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

wait what does full sythentic mean i thought oil was oil? what band do yall recommend? and should i do it myself or go somewhere?
arturo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
wait what does full sythentic mean i thought oil was oil? what band do yall recommend? and should i do it myself or go somewhere?
Just go to ford and ask for full synthetic its a oil thats alot easier on the engine and lasts longer better
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just go to ford and ask for full synthetic its a oil thats alot easier on the engine and lasts longer better
Can i ask for a Certain brand? Or they used there own?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Use Pennzoil platinum full synthetic. Real good stuff. Napa gold filters are also great as well. Change at 7500 k intervals and your good to go. Your car will rust before the engine will go. She will be purring like a kitten at 200k miles.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Its motorcraft
Old 04-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

So what I just go to the Dealership and be like I want Full synthetic lol?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Waste of money and material to change it often. This isn't the 60's anymore - engines and oils are a lot different. I remember having to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles and change the spark plugs - we don't do that anymore either.

Think about it - the oil sellers are in the business of SELLING YOU STUFF. So of course they are going to recommend more frequent oil changes. But who is the one warrantying your engine? Ford - so if the oil needed to be changed more frequently they would tell you to do so, otherwise they will be replacing engines. But if Ford, who is on the hook for the warranty if they are wrong, says you can go longer then I believe them more than someone simply trying to sell me more oil.

Someone said that they would believe it when we started testing our oil. I did test mine in the 2006 - every other oil change a sample went to Blackstone Labs because I drove that car hard (daily driver, weekend drag racer) and had nitrous on it that I pulled for the Xcharger at 90,000 miles. Blackstone said based on the samples I could stretch it further. Before I sold it I was changing the oil at 8,000 miles (up from the Ford recommended 5,000 - probably because Ford was erring on the side of caution at that time on the 4.0). The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it (now up to 211,000) and Blackstone said the last sample I sent before I sold it showed no abnormal wear and suggested moving to 10,000 mile intervals.

With over 200,000 miles on it the car was still running mid 12's the week before I sold it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Waste of money and material to change it often. This isn't the 60's anymore - engines and oils are a lot different. I remember having to adjust the valves every 3,000 miles and change the spark plugs - we don't do that anymore either.

Think about it - the oil sellers are in the business of SELLING YOU STUFF. So of course they are going to recommend more frequent oil changes. But who is the one warrantying your engine? Ford - so if the oil needed to be changed more frequently they would tell you to do so, otherwise they will be replacing engines. But if Ford, who is on the hook for the warranty if they are wrong, says you can go longer then I believe them more than someone simply trying to sell me more oil.

Someone said that they would believe it when we started testing our oil. I did test mine in the 2006 - every other oil change a sample went to Blackstone Labs because I drove that car hard (daily driver, weekend drag racer) and had nitrous on it that I pulled for the Xcharger at 90,000 miles. Blackstone said based on the samples I could stretch it further. Before I sold it I was changing the oil at 8,000 miles (up from the Ford recommended 5,000 - probably because Ford was erring on the side of caution at that time on the 4.0). The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it (now up to 211,000) and Blackstone said the last sample I sent before I sold it showed no abnormal wear and suggested moving to 10,000 mile intervals.

With over 200,000 miles on it the car was still running mid 12's the week before I sold it.
+11111111 perfectly said! I do regular intervals as per Ford with motorcraft oil. It's a dd, no need to do otherwise.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

Hook a brother up!!! Lol

I would never take a vehicle to a shop unless I have to for warranty issues... the engine is pretty clean minimal deposits and if it does take off deposits it should be good *** long as it aint runned hard. Something of the sort as seafoam? People back in the day would even use a small amount of diesel and other stuff to clean the inside and it would be fine after. Idk if would work though.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #56
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
So what I just go to the Dealership and be like I want Full synthetic lol?
Basically, there are three types of oil today. There's "conventional", which is not synthetic. These oils have been around for a long time, and are still used today. Conventional oil is good for 3000 mile intervals between oil changes.

Then there's "semi-synthetic"; this is a blend of synthetic and conventional oil. Cheaper than "full synthetic", and good for up to 10K intervals between oil changes.

Full synthetic is just as its name states: a full synthetic oil. It is good for oil change intervals over 10K, depending on your driving conditions and surroundings (I.E. dusty area, heavy duty use such as towing or racing).

Your V6 came from the factory with a semi-synthetic oil. You can switch between semi and full synthetic at any time. Depending on whats on sale, I use either full or semi, as I change either at between 6 to 8K due to my driving habits.

And your owners manual states 6 quarts for the 3.7, not 5! Ford increased the sump of the oil pan to extend the interval of an oil change on the 3.7.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #57
Road Trip!

Region: New York
When I had the TSB done on my tranny I had them change the oil. Ask them to put full synthetic in and they gave me the window sticker with 7500 miles to my next oil change. My wife VW has a 10,000 mile service interval. So 7500 on full synthetic is a good number to go with.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #58
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post
When I had the TSB done on my tranny I had them change the oil. Ask them to put full synthetic in and they gave me the window sticker with 7500 miles to my next oil change. My wife VW has a 10,000 mile service interval. So 7500 on full synthetic is a good number to go with.
Most oil chage places will do this, as they want you to come back and have your oil changed; they get more business this way.

It all depends on your driving habits and requirements. If you tow, live in a dusty area, or are hard on the engine, then yep, 7500 is a good number. otherwise, use the information center's percentage of oil life remaining as a good guide. Ford put it there, so if you follow it, your warranty would not be effected; They could not tell you you don't change your oil often enough....

As I mentioned before, this was one of the several reasons I bought the Mustang and it's V6 or V8; the engineers made the oil pan sump larger to allow an extra quart, which also extends the oil change interval.

But hey, whatever your comfortable with.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I did my first oil change at 3k back in sept my next one is due at 8k(only at 7,500 right now).I usually take mine to the ford dealership.probably gona take it to get changed this month.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

To be on the safe side one might want to change there oil every 1500 miles. That way you really keep the oil fresh. Or really every 1k oil changes.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
To be on the safe side one might want to change there oil every 1500 miles. That way you really keep the oil fresh. Or really every 1k oil changes.
Huh? I hope your kidding lol
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Huh? I hope your kidding lol
Just a little bit of sarcasm dripping from my mouth. Lol
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

What?? Kona sarcastic?? No way!? Lmao.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Off topic but kona I got my decals on. I had the shoo custom make mine based off the boss style with STORMTROOPER cut out of it. Gna add the gloss roof later. Btw it all costed me 150 installed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130502_011315.png
Views:	52
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	105551  
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #65
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Off topic but kona I got my decals on. I had the shoo custom make mine based off the boss style with STORMTROOPER cut out of it. Gna add the gloss roof later. Btw it all costed me 150 installed
We need a closer shot to read the stormtrooper part.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can read it just fine. It says Stommtroofer.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

I can read it just fine. It says Stommtroofer.
Lol!!!

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Ill get you one today when I have my lunch break
Old 05-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

What?? Kona sarcastic?? No way!? Lmao.
Never me. Lmao. Lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Never me. Lmao. Lol.
Ur the only one missing in the joking/random thread bro it should be ur second home! Haha.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bro, its looks great on our car. Love it. Real awesome looking. You gotta loose those horrible GT fog lights. LMAO.

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post

Ur the only one missing in the joking/random thread bro it should be ur second home! Haha.
I'll look it up on this site. I'm all about that bro. Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang