Magnaflow help?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
B3Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hemet
Region: California
Posts: 64
Magnaflow help??

Hey everyone. I got some Magnaflow axle backs and now my take off is slower then befor. Any one know why? Or you guys think it might be all in my head... Lol

Thanks?
B3Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Axel backs won't improve or reduce power.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Unless its the competition series which completely deletes your mufflers for straight pipes you shouldn't notice a difference.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
B3Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hemet
Region: California
Posts: 64
Haha thanks! I'll take it as its all in my mind lol
B3Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3Mustang View Post
Haha thanks! I'll take it as its all in my mind lol
Np, how do they sound?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
B3Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hemet
Region: California
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Np, how do they sound?
I think they sound great!!! Nothing like a 5.0 but I like it. I like that its deep and that while I'm driving its still not loud in the car.
B3Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
B3Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hemet
Region: California
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Np, how do they sound?
I think they sound great!!! Nothing like a 5.0 but I like it. I like that its deep and that while I'm driving its still not loud in the car.
B3Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
NicholasP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
Unless its the competition series which completely deletes your mufflers for straight pipes you shouldn't notice a difference.
What does the competition do?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
What does the competition do?
No Mufflers, I have them on my car right now, and they are loud when you get on it.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post

What does the competition do?
No mufflers. When you completely remove the mufflers it's normal to feel a loss of torque and throttle response.

Happened to me with my straight pipes and with my roush exhaust. It would just take a second longer for the car to respond. Than it would go good.

With my Borlas there is none of that; I actually notice increased throttle response and torque.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
^dont know what this dudes bull****ting about...^ i felt an increase with my Pypes... I know you really shouldn't, but my track time wasn't taken with just Pypes, it was taken with other upgrades.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
I'm not bull****ting man I'm just saying ehat I felt with my car. How many exhausts have you had on your car? Because I've had 4. I speak from real experience. What do you speak from?
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
I have Roush and feel 0 power loss! Puma is correct check out this link on Roush. http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
People normally don't do axel backs as a performance upgrade but more of a sound upgrade as there is little performance to be had. But it definitely does not hinder performance.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
I'm not bull****ting man I'm just saying ehat I felt with my car. How many exhausts have you had on your car? Because I've had 4. I speak from real experience. What do you speak from?
But roush is open chambered |^| so you shouldn't lose anything
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
Try this

Disconnect your battery for at least fifteen min. Connect it back up. then drive like you normally do. Then tell us if it feels better.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
B3Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hemet
Region: California
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Disconnect your battery for at least fifteen min. Connect it back up. then drive like you normally do. Then tell us if it feels better.

Ronnie
What is this suppose to do?
B3Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma
^dont know what this dudes bull****ting about...^ i felt an increase with my Pypes... I know you really shouldn't, but my track time wasn't taken with just Pypes, it was taken with other upgrades.
He is not BSing...it's true. A loss of back pressure will create a loss of low-end torque.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

He is not BSing...it's true. A loss of back pressure will create a loss of low-end torque.
Not true. Check out the "Louder sound ideal" thread page 10. It's a great but long read. A "muffler" is exactly that, something that muffels sound. Pipe diameter headers and catts are what creates "back pressure" http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
B3Mustang asks

Quote:
What is this suppose to do?
From what I have read on all of these Forums, ( Not just this one) It is supposed to reset your computer to take advantage of any changes you have done.

It costs nothing to do this so what the heck. Let White try it and then let us know if it did anything at all. It sure don't hurt to try.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
It wasn't as bad with the roush as it was with the straight pipe but it was still there.

It's not a power loss. It's a loss of throttle response and low end torque that I said I felt a difference in.


From a 20 mph roll when I mash the gas in drive with my magnaflow streets i had and my Borla exhaust It rears up, downshift automatically and goes hard.

With the straight pipes I would mash the gas, the Rpms would rise but I wouldn't be mashed into my seat. The roush were better but with then I could tell a difference too. I would get mashed back in my seat with the roush though so i Didnt percieve a difference from stock. With my Borla exhaust I actually notice increased torque.

It's not just cats, headers, and mid pipe that cause back pressure. Mufflers do too. It's a common known fact. If you don't want to believe me than ok. Peak hp will not be affected, but throttle response and torque will if you just delete your muffler. I've done it and that's why I'm saying this. Just trying to give real world experience, you don't have to take it if you don't want to
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post
It wasn't as bad with the roush as it was with the straight pipe but it was still there.

It's not a power loss. It's a loss of throttle response and low end torque that I said I felt a difference in.

From a 20 mph roll when I mash the gas in drive with my magnaflow streets i had and my Borla exhaust It rears up, downshift automatically and goes hard.

With the straight pipes I would mash the gas, the Rpms would rise but I wouldn't be mashed into my seat. The roush were better but with then I could tell a difference too. I would get mashed back in my seat with the roush though so i Didnt percieve a difference from stock. With my Borla exhaust I actually notice increased torque.

It's not just cats, headers, and mid pipe that cause back pressure. Mufflers do too. It's a common known fact. If you don't want to believe me than ok. Peak hp will not be affected, but throttle response and torque will if you just delete your muffler. I've done it and that's why I'm saying this. Just trying to give real world experience, you don't have to take it if you don't want to
My mustang spools up like this and it has stock mufflers.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Daytona Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 3,960
I hear ya PowerWhee

For our 3.7 V6's we need to keep the Mufflers if we want a good "STREET" car that has good throttle response and just plain feels good.

Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
For our 3.7 V6's we need to keep the Mufflers if we want a good "STREET" car that has good throttle response and just plain feels good.

Ronnie
My car has Roush and feels good with excellent throttle response and is a street car? My car feels exactly as it did with stock mufflers in fact as puma stated it feels like it has better response!
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

My car has Roush and feels good with excellent throttle response and is a street car? My car feels exactly as it did with stock mufflers in fact as puma stated it feels like it has better response!
The roush exhibit the characteristic I'm talking about but not to the degree when my car had absolutely no mufflers. The throttle response with the roush was fine, but sometimes the car would be hesitant with downshifting and the power coming on right away.

That is what I'm mainly talking about. No mufflers at all. The roush is a chambered muffler. It won't exhibit the wonky throttle response unless you have no mufflers or straight pipes.

And I to noticed slightly increased high end pull with the roush I had before my Borlas. The roush were not nearly as bad in the throttle response department as the straight pipes were and like I said the difference was very very small on the throttle with the roush. It still mashed me into the seat just like the magnaflow mufflers I had before the roush did.

I guess you could say its a "spool" up before all the power comes on whitelighting. But it's only till about 3k rpm than the car is fine.

Again I'm just speaking from my personal experience. It bothered me to the point I put mufflers back on the car.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

The roush exhibit the characteristic I'm talking about but not to the degree when my car had absolutely no mufflers. The throttle response with the roush was fine, but sometimes the car would be hesitant with downshifting and the power coming on right away.

That is what I'm mainly talking about. No mufflers at all. The roush is a chambered muffler. It won't exhibit the wonky throttle response unless you have no mufflers or straight pipes.

And I to noticed slightly increased high end pull with the roush I had before my Borlas. The roush were not nearly as bad in the throttle response department as the straight pipes were and like I said the difference was very very small on the throttle with the roush. It still mashed me into the seat just like the magnaflow mufflers I had before the roush did.

I guess you could say its a "spool" up before all the power comes on whitelighting. But it's only till about 3k rpm than the car is fine.

Again I'm just speaking from my personal experience. It bothered me to the point I put mufflers back on the car.
What borlas do you have? I love the sound of the atak and they will probably be my next set(cat back)
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
I have the s type's. After the insanity of the roush I was willing to go a little quieter and gain back a peaceful cabin. I love the borla's because they are literally silent if you aren't on the gas. Soon as you open it up it is loudd, maybe 3 levels quieter than the roush. They still have a nice deceleration sound too, and are really deep and just sound very clean. Out of my 4 exhausts the borla is the nicest by far. Is it worth the money over the roush? Ehh not sure about that. I feel like my roush exhaust with some resonators welded in would have sounded just as nice, but without the refinement of the borlas.

Borlas are stainless steel, have absolutely no drone or cabin vibration, the tips are 4.5 inches. Mainly little differences. If you can find em for 500-600 I'd pick em up. Not for 800 though. Not worth it at that point, IMO.

Here's a vid of my car with the borla's.

powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,259
Sounds great at wot! 331 gears? I love the larger 4.5" tips also. When I was researching for exhausts it came down to the Roush and borla ataks. I went with Roush because of the 300$ price difference and was able to get a Gt 500 spoiler also for basically the same price as the ataks. What other mods have u done?
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
powerwhee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SFV
Region: California
Posts: 350
Yea I was to cheap to buy the Borlas. Someone who just bought them and didn't think they were loud enough traded my roush for the Borlas. He didn't let em break in even; the mufflers had less than 50 miles on em. They got a good amount louder after 400 miles or so.

I have a JLT intake and a steeda 91 tune as well. And your right I have the 3.31 gears as well.
powerwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwhee View Post

The roush exhibit the characteristic I'm talking about but not to the degree when my car had absolutely no mufflers. The throttle response with the roush was fine, but sometimes the car would be hesitant with downshifting and the power coming on right away.

That is what I'm mainly talking about. No mufflers at all. The roush is a chambered muffler. It won't exhibit the wonky throttle response unless you have no mufflers or straight pipes.

And I to noticed slightly increased high end pull with the roush I had before my Borlas. The roush were not nearly as bad in the throttle response department as the straight pipes were and like I said the difference was very very small on the throttle with the roush. It still mashed me into the seat just like the magnaflow mufflers I had before the roush did.

I guess you could say its a "spool" up before all the power comes on whitelighting. But it's only till about 3k rpm than the car is fine.

Again I'm just speaking from my personal experience. It bothered me to the point I put mufflers back on the car.
Yeah that sounds like a drivetrain problem, not exhaust back pressure. The roush are a open or so for chamber muffler, I think. I just draw my diagram of them lol

But mine does this weird thing cause of the drivetrain. An no mufflers is literally a slug in 1-3. Only high end was it actually worth anything
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



03:48 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.