Lesson Learned - Gas Station Car Wash - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lesson Learned - Gas Station Car Wash

I learned a tough lesson today, never take your Mustang in the automatic car wash at the gas station. Yesterday at work I got bombarded by bird poop and tree sap due to the limited parking at work. So I googled a car wash without the pipe thing that you have to put your tire in, found one. Went real fast during lunch, drove my car in to get the sap and poop taken care of. Come out, get to work to check out the rinse and noticed my rim had gotten scratch up. Even though you dont put your tire in anything you still drive up onto something and that apparently dinged up my rims. So be very cautious of using automatic car washes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire damage.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	104606  
mtnbiker92271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I dont like them either, they dont give it a very good clean imo. I choose a little longer hand wash any day
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I never go to them. They $uck!
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I dont even use a brush in self car wash. It still makes scratches on paint.
jaylee1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Good to know, I'll use I'm up until I get my new rims.
Cranker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's why I only go to the ones where you sit in the middle and the brushes etc. move around the car. Those automatic ones that involve the car moving forward are death traps for cars. There is a grocery chain called HEB (Texas exclusive) that has a really good carwash that I use. It does a good job to. Also, they're one of those companies that if it were to damage my car, they would pay for it.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yup samething happened to me never again I said stupid car wash
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
That's why I only go to the ones where you sit in the middle and the brushes etc. move around the car. Those automatic ones that involve the car moving forward are death traps for cars. There is a grocery chain called HEB (Texas exclusive) that has a really good carwash that I use. It does a good job to. Also, they're one of those companies that if it were to damage my car, they would pay for it.
Heb is awsome lol I also always see people in line to try and use the carwash mudt be good ived never used it.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Heb is awsome lol I also always see people in line to try and use the carwash mudt be good ived never used it.
lol, yeah. It's good. It's what I always use. I can go shopping, and get my stang shinny. All in one spot.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This reminDs me of when I first got my mustang. One of my photographer friends wanted to take some pictures. Cool, just needed to give it a good wash first... So we started heading back to my place and he said " just pull in that wash", said no, it will scratch the paint. My buddy is more than a little hard headed and insisted it wouldn't... Ok, let's go ask I said.

I pull up to one of those "nice" car washes where they vacuum for you and wipe the car down and all that. I get out and ask the guy, will this scratch my new car? "There soft brushes" was his answer. "That's not what I asked" I said. So he looks at me like who the F are you and says NO it won't scratch your car. Ok, I say, can I get a manager to do a walk around with me now and after the wash? The guy rolls his eyes and says sure and go's to get a manager... Not 30 seconds later he comes back and says the manager is busy and that the car wash is not liable for any damage... Obviously, they know it puts scratches in the clear or they would not just come out of nowhere with this verbal waiver... not to mention the guy made a blatant attempt to dodge my initial question.

They ALL suck. If has a brush RUUUUN... And go find a touch free wash
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sounds like the OP did go to a touchless car wash.

Probably damaged the wheel somewhere else.

And they didn't say what lesson they learned, so I will venture a guess that the lesson they learned is that they shouldn't own a nice car if they can't take the time to care for it the way it needs to be cared for.

Someone who uses auto washes and quickie lube places is just begging for trouble.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Never been to one of those automatic car washes, and never will. I am the only person to clean my car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
This reminDs me of when I first got my mustang. One of my photographer friends wanted to take some pictures. Cool, just needed to give it a good wash first... So we started heading back to my place and he said " just pull in that wash", said no, it will scratch the paint. My buddy is more than a little hard headed and insisted it wouldn't... Ok, let's go ask I said.

I pull up to one of those "nice" car washes where they vacuum for you and wipe the car down and all that. I get out and ask the guy, will this scratch my new car? "There soft brushes" was his answer. "That's not what I asked" I said. So he looks at me like who the F are you and says NO it won't scratch your car. Ok, I say, can I get a manager to do a walk around with me now and after the wash? The guy rolls his eyes and says sure and go's to get a manager... Not 30 seconds later he comes back and says the manager is busy and that the car wash is not liable for any damage... Obviously, they know it puts scratches in the clear or they would not just come out of nowhere with this verbal waiver... not to mention the guy made a blatant attempt to dodge my initial question.

They ALL suck. If has a brush RUUUUN... And go find a touch free wash
Touch free washes are the way to go. The one I was talking about at HEB is like that. Nothing touches the car except for water. No brushes or anything. It has several wash and rinse cycles that it goes through, all automated, and it users lasers to line up the car so it knows where to spray. It's pretty neat. I'll take a video next time I'm in and post it.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Looks like your wheel was turned when you got on the track and it drug the wheel against the rail... Or you curb jacked your new car... Either way, you should try to be more careful to avoid careless mistakes.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There are good hand wash places and oil change centers that do an excellent job. Ask around if you are unable to do these yourself all times. They are out there. No need to feel guilty for using this service on your nice Mustang. You are showing care by wanting it to be clean and well maintaned by doing it yourself or by using an establishment that does it for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Never been to one of those automatic car washes, and never will. I am the only person to clean my car.
+1 I absolutely refuse to go through an automatic car wash. If im in a hury and dont have the time for a microfiber mit I will just powerwash it on a lighter setting but even then Im not happy until i shammy it haha.
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedic View Post
+1 I absolutely refuse to go through an automatic car wash. If im in a hury and dont have the time for a microfiber mit I will just powerwash it on a lighter setting but even then Im not happy until i shammy it haha.
I do this all the time here during monsoon season which is coming up soon. Imagine this - the typical monsoon storm here in phoenix is a dust storm, thats right dust (dirt and or sand) for about 15 minutes followed by rain, typically no more than five minutes. The rain doesn't wash off the dirt, It just makes sure it sticks to your car in a muddy hazy mess.

If you take a wash mitt to that you might as well have a piece of sandpaper in your hand. The powerwash is the only right way to remove this crud. I usually take the car to a place down the street, do it myself in one of their bays, chamois it dry and then take it home to detail it and get ready for that nights monsoon storm.

Living in the desert is fun. Unfortunately my Mustang is my daily driver and takes a pretty good beating, but always comes back for more.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
sorry to hear that sucks man. thats why i always do it myself but like you said sap and bird crap so i get where your coming from. i only trust one place around here and they are brushless and even them i am hesitant i still always do it myself unless i absolutely have no time to do it

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Never, ever put your new sports car through a car wash. Those are only good for 4x4's.

Man up and hand wash your car, unless you want scratches and dings out the ***.
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post
Never, ever put your new sports car through a car wash. Those are only good for 4x4's.

Not even lol had a buddy back in high school with a jeep and a car wash ripped of a corner of his bumper. So I do believe that a car was could cause this damage lol
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
That sucks, bud. I'm sorry. If I'm really in a pinch and need her looking semi-good in 5 minutes, I normally try and find the "do it yourself" car washes. It still isn't what I like to do and I cringe every time I do, do it, but I find it to be better then the automated type.

An outstanding DD
dgrum04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I would rather wipe my car down with a bath towel and some water or detail spray and risk swirl marks than go through one of those death traps.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I wash mine at home and if I do take it to the wash I just spray it
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I learned to deal with a dirty car because mine sits outside because my parents get the garage. I detail it one day and its covered in dirt the next. I don't exactly want to wash it every day.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I learned to deal with a dirty car because mine sits outside because my parents get the garage. I detail it one day and its covered in dirt the next. I don't exactly want to wash it every day.
I bought a cover for mine since the birds always shat on it. Iam going to start shooting them all out of the tree. I already put some bbs in the squrial because he was dropping stuff on it.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'll get a cover for it when I go to college, but until then I drive it every day and you should only put a cover on when it's clean so it will be way too much of a hassle to put a cover on every day. Plus my paint isn't the greatest, it looks a little abused by a previous owner.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll get a cover for it when I go to college, but until then I drive it every day and you should only put a cover on when it's clean so it will be way too much of a hassle to put a cover on every day. Plus my paint isn't the greatest, it looks a little abused by a previous owner.
That's why they make paint
Old 04-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm a broke high school student, I don't have the money for a new paint job lol, plus we only have base coverage on it so that's why I'm not doing any body work, if something happens then my only hope is to file a police report and hope I can some how get it fixed.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm a broke high school student, I don't have the money for a new paint job lol, plus we only have base coverage on it so that's why I'm not doing any body work, if something happens then my only hope is to file a police report and hope I can some how get it fixed.
Yeah it makes it hard not to have any money
Old 04-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post

Yeah it makes it hard not to have any money
Yea, I'm just slowly doing the mods. Next mod is gears, but it will be a few months before that. I literally went mod crazy after I got the car, I just started to settle down.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
+1 my paint isnt the greatest on the passenger side its keyed from previous owner and alot of surface scratches but i try to cover up what i can after all its 10 years old it just sucks when you take such good care of your car but the person before you didnt and you have to suffer
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
Sounds like the OP did go to a touchless car wash.

Probably damaged the wheel somewhere else.

And they didn't say what lesson they learned, so I will venture a guess that the lesson they learned is that they shouldn't own a nice car if they can't take the time to care for it the way it needs to be cared for.

Someone who uses auto washes and quickie lube places is just begging for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post

Thanks for implying i don't take care of my car. I was trying to get rid of the crap and sap since my next day off is Thursday. Only time I haven't washed it myself and this crap happens. Plan to get the rim repaired at a wheel shop, hope it turns out good.
mtnbiker92271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Ah man, mad respect. I'm fortunate enough to have full-coverage with a $0 deductible (Geico man... They work wonders) and just got a new paint job, also a senior in high school (I do work though). Counting my blessings everyday.

Quote:
I would rather wipe my car down with a bath towel and some water or detail spray and risk swirl marks than go through one of those death traps.
+9001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
+1 my paint isnt the greatest on the passenger side its keyed from previous owner and alot of surface scratches but i try to cover up what i can after all its 10 years old it just sucks when you take such good care of your car but the person before you didnt and you have to suffer
Yeah, I feel you man. Like I said, I was fortunate enough to restore my exterior, but the college student before me left me with $2,000 worth of front frame damage, and the interior is somewhat beat. I have an '06 with 83k.
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
I would do neither. I'd simply leave the dirt on the car until It could be washed properly. I don't want swirl marks from a bath towel on my finish either!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I would do neither. I'd simply leave the dirt on the car until It could be washed properly. I don't want swirl marks from a bath towel on my finish either!
Exactly, leave it dirty until a proper wash can be done.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang