Dealership problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Dealership problems

help me out guys.

just got my OEM touch up paint. 11.60. and on the pissed side, asked about the DRL disable. my response was this by the service guy: i cant do that because its a saftey feature and im not going to be held responsible for a fire or such on your car. Me: i just want to run the OEM HID headlights and such and i cant since the DRL makes them flicker or not come on at all. well it can be added, but not taken away.

so i called the Ford company.

lauren promptly chewed my *** about how the DRL are a safety feature and should not be altered as it will void my warranty. i snapped back saying i have no more warranty and just want some OEM HID lights. she then goes on about how i should go to the dealership and speak to a service technician. told her i just got back from there, hence why im calling. " i dont know what specifics your vehicle is but you shouldnt be trying to mod the vehicle in any way even with OEM parts. it will void your warranty. I NO HAVE WARRANTY! and she refers me to do an upgraded warranty plan and i promptly said no, i want to enjoy my mustang and go crazy stupid fast. "well sir that could potentially break traffic laws and i would advise you to not try and disable these lights or you could be running a safety risk to the car or yourself for not being seen. IM GONNA RUN HID FROM A SHELBY, IM GONNA BE SEEN AND HEARD. so now im at square one. still. im not in Canada and it look tacky. so please peeps, help me out with this talked, yet forgotten topic. ive read it can be done.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Find yourself a smart junction from an HID V6 car of your year (maybe you can get one on a wrecked car cheap or something) and try plug and play. Otherwise, lose auto headlights and bypass the factory wiring by tapping into the switch with your own harness and relays.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Find yourself a smart junction from an HID V6 car of your year (maybe you can get one on a wrecked car cheap or something) and try plug and play. Otherwise, lose auto headlights and bypass the factory wiring by tapping into the switch with your own harness and relays.
Can I pay you to do it lol I don't care for auto headlights btw. And a buddy of mine said that a capacitor would eliminate the flicker or shut out. Would that work too?
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Capacitors store energy so they can dump it on demand. They're basically energy storage cells. It won't fix the fact the circuit is running under voltage with DRLs.

Basically, what you do it this: 5 prong relay. Run the main hot circuit to a 4 prong relay (we'll worry about this in a bit). Run your trigger wire to your dimmer switch wiring so it's activated by high beams, then the power part of it to your high beam lights. This will give you high beam flash regardless of headlight switch position and keep you legal. Now, the 4 prong relay you get power from the always on 5 prong main circuit and wire it to your low beam headlights. Wire the trigger portion of your 4 prong into the back of the headlight switch so the circuit is completed when the headlight switch is in the on position.

Voila, bypassed.

I absolutely suck at drawing wiring diagrams or I'd make you one.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang