Washing engine bay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Washing engine bay

I know you're not suppose to power wash, but I'm going to a car show this weekend and want my bay looking good. Anyone have tips or how they do it?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'd like to know as well, I went to a DIY coin carwash before and just sprayed the engine 'cleaner' and didn't seem to do any damage, but then again didn't really clean anything.

Of course you can always spend hours Armorall'ing everything...
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I've read some stuff on line about using a bucket and some simple green an a brush, then a light mister or steam cleaner. I'm just curious who's done it and got a good clean. I want more than wiping the top, I want to get in there all nice and deep like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I simply use the engine cleaner at the coin car wash place
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I simply use the engine cleaner at the coin car wash place
Haha, I'm glad I'm not alone... Can't wait for the professional guy to come in and tear our heads off saying we're doing it all wrong...
Rice Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

And power wash it? I understand most electronics and spark plugs are pretty well hidden, but what about what isn't seen or isn't covered and your CAI?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

(Pretty well hidden for our cars, I mean) powerwashed my German girlies car and it misfired like a mother****er. Main reason I'm hesitant.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
And power wash it? I understand most electronics and spark plugs are pretty well hidden, but what about what isn't seen or isn't covered and your CAI?

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

(Pretty well hidden for our cars, I mean) powerwashed my German girlies car and it misfired like a mother****er. Main reason I'm hesitant.
I cover my CAI with double bags and my fuse box
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Double bags? I have a super hydrophobic prefilter for my CAI but I am still worried. Plus I've heard your engine should be running while you clean it. So really a prefilter is the only option, not sealed bags...
Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Double bags? I have a super hydrophobic prefilter for my CAI but I am still worried. Plus I've heard your engine should be running while you clean it. So really a prefilter is the only option, not sealed bags...
Mines off when I do it
Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You take your filter off or the whole CAI and put the air box back on?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You take your filter off or the whole CAI and put the air box back on?
No I meant the engine is off haha I cover the filter in double bags and my fuse box
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ****, my bad. I was way off on that one. Hmmm... You spray your own degreaser/rust remover?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Never washed my cars engine in the two years that ive ha it haha
TruChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Never popped your hood at a show? I don't think newer cars will suffer performance issues from not cleaning, I just wanna show these Germans what a clean American engine with bells and whistles looks like...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Never popped your hood at a show? I don't think newer cars will suffer performance issues from not cleaning, I just wanna show these Germans what a clean American engine with bells and whistles looks like...
Yea i have haha but it doesnt bother me much. One of these days im planning on steam cleaning my cherokees and mustangs engine
Old 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Know anyone who's steam cleaned? That's something I hear about a lot, not sure where or how to do it...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Know anyone who's steam cleaned? That's something I hear about a lot, not sure where or how to do it...
No haha. Just trial and error haha. I think you get a steam cleaner like a for clothes and just steam and area then clean with a rag
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Makes sense...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Had a customer come in who's engine had just been steam cleaned and holy **** that thing looked good. I'm gonna be getting that done soon
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Can you buy one and do it yourself? Or is that professional industrial equipment?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you buy one and do it yourself? Or is that professional industrial equipment?
You probably can buy one but I'm not sure on how cost effective and useful of a purchase it would be.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco View Post

You probably can buy one but I'm not sure on how cost effective and useful of a purchase it would be.
Sorry off topic: Rosco! Clear your inbox so I can message you. You wanna drive up Glendora mountain road sometime?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
This is how I've been doing it for years

Step 1. Make sure the engine is ice cold before starting.

You want it cool since there is a slight possibility that you can crack the engine block by throwing cold water on it.

Step 2. Cover fuse box, battery, distributor cap, air intake, and I cover the alternator as well. Plastic bags work well

Step 3. I spray the entire bay with simple green and then lightly brush with a soft brush or old rag.

Step 4. Lightly rinse, I hold the hose at an angle off to the side, keeping the nozzle on the lowest setting.

Step 5. Pull off plastic bags a little water might get onto those areas , but just wipe it up, and you'll be fine.

Step 6: Dry the bay with towels or forced air dryer (a leaf lower will work as long as the tube is clean)

At this point you have 2 options leave it alone, or dress it up to your liking! I like to use SprayWay instant shine it looks great, and it doesn't attract dust.

And maybe its just me, but I usually do the engine first when detailing a car, it's not mandatory, but I don't love the job enough to go back and clean the overspray
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Good and detailed info, man. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I have a question though. There is a car was in town that has a setting to spray hot water, not boiling, but uncomfortable to the touch, if I use that setting, should I still let my car sit for an hour or so and cool?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Eater View Post
I'd like to know as well, I went to a DIY coin carwash before and just sprayed the engine 'cleaner' and didn't seem to do any damage, but then again didn't really clean anything.

Of course you can always spend hours Armorall'ing everything...
Not a good idea, since Armor All is a bit greasy. That's going to make it trap the dirt your trying to clean off an engine bay.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My question is this: how is your engine compartment getting dirty to the point that it requires a pressure wash? Is it due to snow and salts put down during the winter months? If this is the case, then it explains why so many garage their ride during the winter months. I live in Florida and drive year round with my Mustang. I have 45K on it, and the engine compartment is clean. I simply use two towels; the first is used to dry the outside of my vehicles after a wash; it's made specifically to dry and minimize scratching the surface, the other I use (wet) to wipe down the engine compartment after every wash. I also use my shop vac with its brush attachment to clean off any loose dust/dirt that settles in the engine compartment. This has worked for me for years, and my engines and compartments have always looked clean.

I'm very weary about spraying water in a late model vehicle these days. Too many connectors and sensitive electronics/sensors that could get water in them and affect their operation.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom cleaner and rinse lightly if it is that dirty.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom cleaner and rinse lightly if it is that dirty.
+1. Siber Expres Told me about this way a year or so ago. Works great. The only thing you have to do is 'low shine' Armorall the rubber hoses and your engine bay will look like new again.

Don't use high pressure water on your engine. Just saying...........
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I live in Germany and we have winter about nine months out the year. Also, they don't use salt, the Germans use some chemical **** and it dries a real nasty chalk color. I wash and wax my car at least once or twice a week because of the overspray. And my engine isn't greasy or rusty or anything, just has that chemical stuff all over it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My question is this: how is your engine compartment getting dirty to the point that it requires a pressure wash? Is it due to snow and salts put down during the winter months? If this is the case, then it explains why so many garage their ride during the winter months. I live in Florida and drive year round with my Mustang. I have 45K on it, and the engine compartment is clean. I simply use two towels; the first is used to dry the outside of my vehicles after a wash; it's made specifically to dry and minimize scratching the surface, the other I use (wet) to wipe down the engine compartment after every wash. I also use my shop vac with its brush attachment to clean off any loose dust/dirt that settles in the engine compartment. This has worked for me for years, and my engines and compartments have always looked clean.

I'm very weary about spraying water in a late model vehicle these days. Too many connectors and sensitive electronics/sensors that could get water in them and affect their operation.
I live in a dessert and there is constant dirt storms lol
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
99ford gave great advice and i made a thread yesterday you can check it out everyone who responded gave good advice on mine and can give you an idea on what products to use because i am in the same boat as you im hesitant to use water

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #32
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Good and detailed info, man. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I have a question though. There is a car was in town that has a setting to spray hot water, not boiling, but uncomfortable to the touch, if I use that setting, should I still let my car sit for an hour or so and cool?
No problem

As Bucko said the thing with pressure washing is it can force water into sensitive areas.

But if its real bad and the water is hot you can probably get away with it. I just don't like the idea of pressure washing the engine bay.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Everything is pretty well sealed so that shouldn't be a problem I like to double bag and wrap visible connections
Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'll just be using the pressure washer without pressing the button so it barely shoots out and keep it at a distance. Everyone who posted tips on this thread, thank you all a while lot. I'll snap some photos at the show and let you guys/gals see how I did. Thanks again everyone. Love this forum and its members.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I work at Lithia Ford and our detail department steam cleans the engines of paying customers. I clean my car's engine once very two weeks for the last 8 months and hasn't had any issues. As far as the CAI is concerned just take off the filter and you're fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1493740684.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	106154  
BryanGTR169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang