MPG and Fuel Additive Coincedence??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
MPG and Fuel Additive Coincedence???

So in my 2013 V6 I have only had an average MPG of 20 (give or take a point or two) since I purchased in Dec.

Now I do drive it kind of hard..

A week or two ago I put in a bottle of the Techron (sp?) fuel additive, and after running that tank when I filled up again I reset the MPG average dash gauge. I am 1/2 thru the tank and my MPG is 24.5!
(Same driving habits)

Does that fuel additive really work that well or is this just a coincidence?

I am not complaining about going from 20 to 25, just shocked

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I would have to say "coincidence"

Techron is great stuff to keep your fuel system super clean. I really doubt if it will increase your Miles per gallon by 4 1/2 miles per gallon. You can't really depend on the computer. You need to run at least three or four tanks of gas to check the true average MPG and that means a pencil and paper and writing things down.

If you drive your car as hard as you say you do then 20 MPG is still very good MPG.

If you don't know how to do the Pen/ paper method just ask.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Strange things happen. I went from performance to hybrid thus going from 22mpg to 27.4mpg after 5 fill ups.
Twice I tried to put that stuff in, but i seemingly can't put additives in the tank without 90% of it ending up on the floor.
Yankytyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Go to Walmart or Pep Boy's

Most places sell funnels with real skinny ends that fit in the tank. They are used for times when you need to add gas from a gas can. They are also good for putting in the additives if you need to put one in. Most places that sell auto parts sell them.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Most places sell funnels with real skinny ends that fit in the tank. They are used for times when you need to add gas from a gas can. They are also good for putting in the additives if you need to put one in. Most places that sell auto parts sell them.

Ronnie
I have found that the normal funnels you get at say AutoZone (or anywhere) dont work for the Mustangs with the No Cap system, HOWEVER Ford supplies you a "special" one that will work.

Lift the "carpet" in your trunk and its the white little thingy along with your spare tire

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankytyke View Post
Strange things happen. I went from performance to hybrid thus going from 22mpg to 27.4mpg after 5 fill ups.
Twice I tried to put that stuff in, but i seemingly can't put additives in the tank without 90% of it ending up on the floor.
You should have the special "funnel" Ford provided in your trunk for this.

Use it carefully, as our Mustangs have the "capless" gas filler neck. There is a seal inside the neck that this funnel opens up to allow you to pour in additives, similar to the gas pumps neck that fits into the fuel neck.

Check your trunk inder the cover in the spare tire wheel well. If you have a temporary spare, it's slid in by the jack and lug wrench; if you have the compressor and fix a flat type arrangement by Ford, it's in the syrofoam that the mini compressor fits into.

While on this subject, never shake the gas pump fuel nozzle after fill up to get the few drops out; this can damage the inner seal of the "capless" system we have. It will set an evap code if it's damaged, much like if you forgot to screw on the gas cap on other vehicles. Also, never top off the fuel tank!!! After the pump stops, stop filling!!! Topping off causes the gas to slosh up the filler neck, and into the fume tube that runs to the charcoal canister. This canister will get full of this raw fuel and fail, causing an OBDII code. That canister is a hundred bucks to buy; replacing can be fun, as it's tucked up withing the frame. I had to do this on a F150. The mechanic I talked with told me about over filling the gas tank. Don't do it!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Interesting about the cap and over filling, I use Techron & Lucas both, just not at the same time.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You should have the special "funnel" Ford provided in your trunk for this.

Use it carefully, as our Mustangs have the "capless" gas filler neck. There is a seal inside the neck that this funnel opens up to allow you to pour in additives, similar to the gas pumps neck that fits into the fuel neck.

Check your trunk inder the cover in the spare tire wheel well. If you have a temporary spare, it's slid in by the jack and lug wrench; if you have the compressor and fix a flat type arrangement by Ford, it's in the syrofoam that the mini compressor fits into.

While on this subject, never shake the gas pump fuel nozzle after fill up to get the few drops out; this can damage the inner seal of the "capless" system we have. It will set an evap code if it's damaged, much like if you forgot to screw on the gas cap on other vehicles. Also, never top off the fuel tank!!! After the pump stops, stop filling!!! Topping off causes the gas to slosh up the filler neck, and into the fume tube that runs to the charcoal canister. This canister will get full of this raw fuel and fail, causing an OBDII code. That canister is a hundred bucks to buy; replacing can be fun, as it's tucked up withing the frame. I had to do this on a F150. The mechanic I talked with told me about over filling the gas tank. Don't do it!
Good to know about topping up as I usually round up while at the pump. I didn't know it could potentially cause a problem.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang