Meth-injection - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So I was looking around and I may want to get this kit. I think the most ill get is 6 to 10 HP. But! I hear you get better throttle response and a lil better mpg.

http://www.snowperformance.net/stage...st-cooler.html
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What kit? Did you mean to post a link to the kit for others to comment on?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
What kit? Did you mean to post a link to the kit for others to comment on?
Ha. Ya I forgot about that. It's up now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

My concern: Over 400 bucks to gain 6 to 10 HP.
How long does 3 quarts of meth injection last? Can it be shut off during "non required" use?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
My concern: Over 400 bucks to gain 6 to 10 HP.
How long does 3 quarts of meth injection last? Can it be shut off during "non required" use?

It's not just for HP numbers.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Why ask for problems ?????????????????

Things like this are great for drag racing but I sure won't want to use it on my street car. These things are not new, They have been around for as long as I can remember. They rank with the Fish Carburetor, ( 200 Miles per gallon and GM killed the inventor) Power supercharger ( A stupid fan you put under your carburetter )

See if you can find an old JC Whitney or Pep Boys Catalog and you will find all kinds of these marvelous devices.

You are better off spending that $$$$ on a tuner, gears, CAI, Exhaust system or other tried and proven item's to get your car faster and still be good for every day street driving.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Things like this are great for drag racing but I sure won't want to use it on my street car. These things are not new, They have been around for as long as I can remember. They rank with the Fish Carburetor, ( 200 Miles per gallon and GM killed the inventor) Power supercharger ( A stupid fan you put under your carburetter )

See if you can find an old JC Whitney or Pep Boys Catalog and you will find all kinds of these marvelous devices.

You are better off spending that $$$$ on a tuner, gears, CAI, Exhaust system or other tried and proven item's to get your car faster and still be good for every day street driving.

Ronnie
Good advice. Yes they've been around for a bit. Thing is I already have gears tuner CAI etc. lol.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've heard of this. Saw an installation on one of the Saturday car shows; I think it was "Gears" with Stacey David (?). Seems to be a good idea, but I'm still sceptical for it's price. My way of thinking is that if it's good, you hear about it more than I have. I do get around...I like to stick my nose into most anything I know nothing about to learn. It it's out there enough, I learn about it.

Not to say this kit is not worthy; I'm just not ready to bite.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Old drag racing stuff

Back in the 60's & 70's you seen a lot of low budget guys using crap like this on a few cars. I don't think it really did anything but I don't think it hurt anything either. Personally I would worry about putting a hole in a piston using something like this on a modern street machine. Water don't burn. I don't think injectors like water much either. That $400.00+ sure could do a lot of good at getting anything else that will make the car faster or prettier.

Ronnie

PS: Stacy David and all of them other shows make their living displaying stuff. Weather it is good or not. Caveat Emptor
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Makes for entertaining TV on a Saturday morning though, until the wife throws me out to cut the grass!

51% water/49% meth in mist form should not do any piston damage I'd think. But I'm no expert in this field. I own myself more study on the subject.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm not sure ---BUT---

Why take a chance on screwing up the injectors or worse. It's not like the old hot rod days of carburetors and no computers. As you already probably know. Methanol does burn a lot hotter then gasoline. I don't know if toning it down with water would be enough in a stop & go traffic situation. There is enough problems with the ethanol they put in the gas let alone methanol and water.

I just can't see using it on a street machine. It may give a slight edge on power but at what cost to your engine in the long run of things.

I watch all of the car shows on Speed & Volicity and do enjoy some of the commercials but don't take what they say or do as gospel.

Ronnie
Old 05-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I saw something where they put a meth injection rig on a boss for use on the road corse. The results were decent and helped the car keep cool and retain HP after many laps.

If you had a turbo or super charger then the meth injection would be good or for extreme NA applications... If your looking for power then you could always give nitro a shot. I have been considering a 50 shot myself but still have not decided.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Meth doesn't do much for NA cars. But for forced induction it is useful for cooling since FI heats up the air charge. It will give a small octane boost, also useful for FI.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nothing new. They've been using this technology on Mustangs since 1942. Thats right, I said 1942. The P51 Mustang and many other WW2 aircraft used methanol injection so that they could use very high levels of boost at high altitude. Without it, these planes , in many cases, would come back from a mission with holes in the tops of the pistons from the detonation. It's the technology that they had at the time and it worked. Now we have electronics that control our engines and many of these problems can be tuned out via the sensors, computer, etc. Bottom line is, unless you need to make around 2000 hp @ 25000 ft, your street car is probably not going to need it. But if you want to campaign a P51 at the Reno air races, and run with the big boys, bring the meth injection. Your gonna need it... P.S. Cool DRY air is the key to making power. Shhhhh. Don't tell anyone.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang