how often - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
how often

How often are u suppose to get an oil change.. mine has never had one.. 5,000 miles .
Ramon2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Have you checked you're oil?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Check your owners manual. 5 grand is probably a good time to start the schedule.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I cant find the manual but ok thanks
Ramon2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Have you checked you're oil?
No auto-x last Sunday Ivan?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No I had a work meeting at 10. Did you go
Old 05-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. It was a pretty fast track. Very windy. About a hundred cones got blown around at one point. Lol. It was alot of fun!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Woah crazy I knew it was windy but dang blwoing cones. OP check you're oil and see if you need to change it or not. On new models you can run up to 5k on oil without needing change
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon2013 View Post
I cant find the manual but ok thanks
Grab a free PDF copy here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

As to oil changing, we have dozens of oil threads here. I would suggest a simple search on "oil", then grab a beverage of choice, sit back and enjoy the reading.

But to answer your direct question, 5K seems to be the suggested interval for changing oil if you are using semi-synthetic. If you use full synthetic, you can go longer. Some full synthetic oil manufacturers such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple state 10 to 15 thousand miles. Many will say this is too long, but car manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes, and Audi that provide free maintenance on there cars go this length; I don't see them broke down on the road because of it.
However, this will now most likely turn into yet another oil thread discussion.

Read the PDF copy that you can download from the link above. There is the information center that will tell you the percentage of oil life left in your engine. You can safely use this as your guide to changing oil if you do not have a set guideline you want to use. Ford added a deaper oil pan for the 3.7 V6 to extend the oil change interval. Take advantage of it. Use full synthetic over semi synthetic if you want to lengthen your oil changes.
If you want to use the 5K rule, then stick with semi synthetic and save some money; changing full synthetic at 5K intervals is wasting money. Your V6 Mustang came from the factory with Ford Motorcraft semi synthetic.

Also, the Ford Motorcraft oil filter is at the top for great oil filters. Use it with all your oil changes.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Grab a free PDF copy here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

As to oil changing, we have dozens of oil threads here. I would suggest a simple search on "oil", then grab a beverage of choice, sit back and enjoy the reading.

But to answer your direct question, 5K seems to be the suggested interval for changing oil if you are using semi-synthetic. If you use full synthetic, you can go longer. Some full synthetic oil manufacturers such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple state 10 to 15 thousand miles. Many will say this is too long, but car manufacturers such as BMW, Mercedes, and Audi that provide free maintenance on there cars go this length; I don't see them broke down on the road because of it.
However, this will now most likely turn into yet another oil thread discussion.

Read the PDF copy that you can download from the link above. There is the information center that will tell you the percentage of oil life left in your engine. You can safely use this as your guide to changing oil if you do not have a set guideline you want to use. Ford added a deaper oil pan for the 3.7 V6 to extend the oil change interval. Take advantage of it. Use full synthetic over semi synthetic if you want to lengthen your oil changes.
If you want to use the 5K rule, then stick with semi synthetic and save some money; changing full synthetic at 5K intervals is wasting money. Your V6 Mustang came from the factory with Ford Motorcraft semi synthetic.

Also, the Ford Motorcraft oil filter is at the top for great oil filters. Use it with all your oil changes.
Manual 10k with with semi synthetic. Like others have stated you can use the oil life monitor as that it is designed for and what your manual says also pg 330

Scheduled Maintenance
Any adverse condition should be brought to the attention of your dealer or qualified service technician as soon as possible for the proper service advice. The owner maintenance service checks are generally not covered by warranties so you may be charged for labor, parts or fluids used.
Engine oil/coolant change intervals – 3.7L and 5.0L engines*
Engine oil
Engine coolant, initial change
Engine coolant, after initial change
As indicated by the message center: do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km) 6 years or 100,000 miles (160,000 km) (whichever comes first)
Every 3 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)
*Shelby GT500 owners: Refer to the Shelby GT500 supplement Check every month
Engine oil level

This was an exert on the write up in the 3.7 on v6muscle performance

2011 Ford Mustang Engine Deep Sump Oil Pan
The Duratec 3.7 V-6 uses a deep-sump oil pan that helps provide 10,000-mile oil-change intervals.
Each hardened tappet has a very slight crown in the surface, about 15 microns from side to side, to work better against the surface and metallurgy of the drilled-out hollow camshaft’s lobes.

Inside, the new engine uses piston-cooling oil jets mounted in the die-cast aluminum block that allows a higher compression ratio and a greater amount of spark advance for power production. With check valves in place, the cooling jets work only when the engine is hot and highly stressed. And, speaking of oil, you won’t have to reach for the left-front-mounted oil filter or drain the sump of the die-cast deep-sump aluminum oil pan of its 5W-20 oil for 10,000 miles, a 33-percent improvement over the usual 7,500-mile interval. This is an advantage brought about by continuous analysis of driving cycles (Ford says almost all of its engines will be 10,000-milers by 2012).
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Amen. Thanks for posting this. I tried to find that info awhile back, but lost the link. I know some will argue the interval, but I trust the Ford engineers. when it comes to semi or full synthetic oils and the deeper sump in this new 3.7.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Check your owners manual. 5 grand is probably a good time to start the schedule.
Every manual will be different from make and model. I've ALWAYS done every 5k miles and have NEVER had any problems. Better safe than sorry.
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I still use full synthetic and change it every 5-6 k. But I live in Phoenix az so we have a lot of dust and heat so I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also clean my air filter every month.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang