Driveshaft Question GT - v6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Driveshaft Question GT - v6

Hello.

The new 2011+ driveshafts are not easy to find.

After all, it is just a piece of metal.

Wouldn't it be possible to just use an 05-09 DS and add a spacer or something ?
or any other car's DS + spacers / adapters ?

Any other driveshaft is much easier to find and much cheaper.

could anyone help me before I crash my car ? haha
cariacou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Crash your car? The stock driveshaft is fine for street use and speed limits. If you are going to track your car, you'll need more than the drive shaft; you'll need a tuner that can remove the top speed limiter. Without doing this, the one piece drive shaft purchase would be a waste of money for street use and public speed limits.

I've not heard or read if other drive shafts will work. I'm not thinking that a spacer is a good idea to make one fit; it would be best to have one that fits without it.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the tuner was the first thing I bought I couldn't stand the speed limit at 110mph.

I have been at high speeds without issue, but that was with my 2.73 gears. I am changing to 4.10 now and already fear passing 100 with these.

Quote:
I'm not thinking that a spacer is a good idea to make one fit; it would be best to have one that fits without it.
agreed, but the 2011 v6 aftermarkets are 2x more expensive than any other driveshafts, and very hard to find used

I am seriously considering buying one for another model and making it fit to the v6...
Mustang Brembo Center Caps x4 - 50/60$
10-14 GT Faux Gas Cap - 30/40$
Premium Steering Wheel 11-14 - 100/150$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariacou View Post
the tuner was the first thing I bought I couldn't stand the speed limit at 110mph.

I have been at high speeds without issue, but that was with my 2.73 gears. I am changing to 4.10 now and already fear passing 100 with these.

agreed, but the 2011 v6 aftermarkets are 2x more expensive than any other driveshafts, and very hard to find used

I am seriously considering buying one for another model and making it fit to the v6...
Personally I would say save up the $ and buy the drive shaft from American muscle. That way you know it is done right.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #5

Region: Virginia
If the driveshaft fails at over 100 mph it won't end well. This is not a place to improvise; use a professional company.
JCH841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH841 View Post
If the driveshaft fails at over 100 mph it won't end well. This is not a place to improvise; use a professional company.
THIS^....

and think about this.... say you do get a spacer and put in a GT shaft. you now have no idea what the thing can handle. you could start putting in more and more mods and end up breaking the thing when you least expect it.

do one of two things.... call around until you can find one or reserve one. another option is to have a custom drive shaft made but I dont think I would let just anyone build me a drive shaft.

if you look hard, im sure you can find one.....

and btw, I wouldt even go 100 with 4.10 gears till you get the drive shaft in. if you want an idea why, load a tune that will not adjust your speedometer and watch.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
and btw, I wouldt even go 100 with 4.10 gears till you get the drive shaft in. if you want an idea why, load a tune that will not adjust your speedometer and watch.
thats a good idea

Quote:
and think about this.... say you do get a spacer and put in a GT shaft. you now have no idea what the thing can handle. you could start putting in more and more mods and end up breaking the thing when you least expect it.
;( ;( it's so expensive..
Mustang Brembo Center Caps x4 - 50/60$
10-14 GT Faux Gas Cap - 30/40$
Premium Steering Wheel 11-14 - 100/150$
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariacou View Post

;( ;( it's so expensive..
Speed costs money; more speed costs more money.

Please keep these speeds to the track. There are many that share the puplic roads with those who think they can drive above the law. Unfortunatly, the inocent folks get hurt or killed because of a few who don't place the speed where it belongs; on the track.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
THIS^....

do one of two things.... call around until you can find one or reserve one. another option is to have a custom drive shaft made but I dont think I would let just anyone build me a drive shaft.

if you look hard, im sure you can find one.....

HAHA that would be funny!! I would hope they would notice their speedo being off. 100...BANG! Forced to buy that 750 dollar driveshaft lol.
-SOLD-13.246s@107.81 RaceRed 2013 v6 Mustang, 3.73 gears, MPT 91Race Tune, Axle-Back Straight Pipe, Tower Brace, BMR LCA's, BBK Shorty Headers, BMR Relocation Brackets, Lethal Performance X-Pipe Catless.
-2008 Civic SI...
RaceRed3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Dude, a spacer? You'll put your eye out!

No seriously, you'll probably kill yourself (and/or others). Terrible idea.

I know its spendy, but if you don't care about it being aluminum you can get a driveline shop to fab you a steel one for a lot cheaper than the aluminum ones.

I have one one coming to me that I could let you have for 650 but I don't think that's the deal you're looking for (and I couldn't blame you). Realistically, if you jus tdon't trust the two-piece you can get a solid steel one a lot cheaper than the aluminum ones. If you're looking to shave 100ths off your lap/quarter mile times, then go aluminum and just be patient, save those pennies.
WordySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang