CARB Exemp (Calif. Legal) CAI: Which Ones? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #1

Region: California
Question CARB Exemp (Calif. Legal) CAI: Which Ones?

I've searched the forums for california legal or 50 state legal CAIs with no luck. I had a 2004 Mazda6 V6 and the only one that was CARB exempt when it was time to get the car smogged way AEM. I'm researching which CAI I'd like to install on my '13 V6, but can't seem to find which one is California legal. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
StangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The best (and safest way) would be to call or email each manufacturers tech support group and ask. The get the certification number in writing before you buy the one you choose.

Not sure if anyone here has the list, but perhaps those that have bought can say for sure their CAI is 50 state certified. I have a C&L, and I did not read anywhere that it is CARB exempt. Not to say it is not though.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The best (and safest way) would be to call or email each manufacturers tech support group and ask. The get the certification number in writing before you buy the one you choose.

Not sure if anyone here has the list, but perhaps those that have bought can say for sure their CAI is 50 state certified. I have a C&L, and I did not read anywhere that it is CARB exempt. Not to say it is not though.
Yeah, I just checked K&N's website and all their CAIs for the Mustang are not CARB exempt.

Just went to C&L's website and they've got this at the bottom of their page:
"Note: not legal for street use in the People's Republic of California.
We have applied for the C.A.R.B. Exemption Order and we have received our test letter."

That's a possible. Still looking . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Man I'm definitely moving to VA now. Can't even have a CAI here in CA?

I'm done.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Why do you think I left The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia in 1994, my 76 F-100 passed everything but the Visual, every 2 years back to the Referee
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
Man I'm definitely moving to VA now. Can't even have a CAI here in CA?

I'm done.
Oh you can have one, just have to take it off and put the stock back on when it's time to get it smogged. I just bought mine, so I've got 4 years before I have to worry about it. I'll check with C&L and see how far along they are. But remember, this emission stuff will hit all 50 states before long, just a matter of time.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangDawg View Post
I've searched the forums for california legal or 50 state legal CAIs with no luck. I had a 2004 Mazda6 V6 and the only one that was CARB exempt when it was time to get the car smogged way AEM. I'm researching which CAI I'd like to install on my '13 V6, but can't seem to find which one is California legal. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
That's crazy! There must not be a lot of volkswagons on the road in Cali! Lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
That's crazy! There must not be a lot of volkswagons on the road in Cali! Lol
What's VW got to do with it
Old 05-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I put a Steeda on mine and kept the stock. In 4 years, if my cai is not exempt, I will put the stock on. Now headers are a different story, freaking hippies.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

What's VW got to do with it
The VW's up here are notorious for burning oil and black smoke! If we ever get an emissions law up here more than half won't pass. Lol
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I truly am sorry I brought the subject up. I didn't mean to offend anyone on this forum. I was trying to gain some information and compile a list of CARB exempt CAIs for those members in California that would be interested and might benefit from the info. I apologize for any transgressions on my part. I was only trying to contribute to the forum to help others. With that I will request the admin to revoke my registration and will move on to another forum.
Thank you all for your time for the short time I was a member. I can read between the lines and totally get your drift. Later.
Did I miss something. I think Ronnie was just being sarcastic. I live in Cali and think we do need a thread about Cali carb exempt oem's.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Lets go back on topic. This is a great question to work with here, and it can offer valuable information to anyone that deals with local and state laws pertaining to CARB requirements.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I'm pretty sure Airaid is 50 state legal as mine came from Cali
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Drive about 300 miles east, get a po box in Arizona and change your shipping address to where you live in California. That's what all my friends do that definitely would not pass smog here in Cali and it works out for them. My friends truck doesn't even need to be registered for a long time. I usually put my stock stuff back on before smog and it passes
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Adamp1 said:
[QUOTE][Did I miss something. I think Ronnie was just being sarcastic. I live in Cali and think we do need a thread about Cali carb exempt oem's./QUOTE]

Yep, I was just being Fascist. California is well known for the hippy movement back in the 60's and 70's. Most people think they are the one's that grew up and are now running the state Government. That probably is not true but a lot of people joke that it is.

If I offended anyone I hope you will accept my sincere apology.

Sometime my jokes even go over my head.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I'm pretty sure Airaid is 50 state legal as mine came from Cali
It depends on how old the car is. Airaid doesn't have any for newer models. Usually a carb number doesn't come until a few years after in Cali anyways. Until then it is illegal. I was fuming when I bought my 2012 and couldn't find one cai. I just put one on anyway, no smog til 4 yrs.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #17

Living in Cali sucks! Tons & tons of oil burners on the road & they manage to pass smog! A CAI can do nothing to harm the sacred CAli air which we are also taxed for! Most vendors will not even sell if you have a CA address. Again, I repeat, CA sucks!
Giddy Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

According to LMR website the Air Raid is 50 state legal.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Usually for it to be CARB compliant they, manufacturers of CAI's, have to provide a sticker or something that proves it is compliant. I know this was the case back when I bought a K&N CAI for the car I had before my mustang.
Sgonza33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Still no CARB exempt CAIs for CA.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-cai-ones.html
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
K&N drop in's are CARB compliant tho.(sticker and everything woot woot)..my car came equipped with a CAI anyways, didn't yours? lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
K&N drop in's are CARB compliant tho.(sticker and everything woot woot)..my car came equipped with a CAI anyways, didn't yours? lol

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I believe this thread is about after market CAIs. It's not a problem anyway. I'm just gonna swap the stock on when it's time to get her smogged, and then swap my Airaid CAI on afterwords. No worries
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

https://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail...ductID=451-265
Airaid CAIs should be CARB compliant. If I'm understanding this correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
I put a Steeda on mine and kept the stock. In 4 years, if my cai is not exempt, I will put the stock on. Now headers are a different story, freaking hippies.
Yup, same CAI and here in CA. Just got my Pony so in 4 years, I'll be doing the same.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
https://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail...ductID=451-265
Airaid CAIs should be CARB compliant. If I'm understanding this correctly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I have to agree with your take on this Airaid write-up. they don't actually say it's CARB approved but they certainly strongly imply it.
I received the following response 7 months ago when I asked Airaid if their CAI was CARB approved.
"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately at this time those intakes are not CARB approved. The factory air box has an emissions device in it referred to as a carbon trap. When that is removed as in to install the aftermarket intake, it will no longer be CARB compliant. We do not yet have a solution to this issue. If we can further assist you please contact us at 800-498-6951 or at my direct line below."
Although I couldn't find the "carbon trap" they made reference to.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

BTW...I also got written confirmation from Steeda (7 months ago) that their CAI's "are not C.A.R.B approved".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Correction

I looked up the CARB approvals and found that the Airaid are in fact CARB approved.
The list is kind of tedious to follow but here it is...
ARB Aftermarket Executive Order - Search results.

Here are some of the model numbers included in the approval list.

EO: D-609-15
EO Date: 2014-09-22
Part_Number: Model_Specification:
450-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
451-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
452-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
453-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang

Couldn't find up to date approvals for any others.
Lists include all CARB approved equipment.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I looked up the CARB approvals and found that the Airaid are in fact CARB approved.
The list is kind of tedious to follow but here it is...
ARB Aftermarket Executive Order - Search results.

Here are some of the model numbers included in the approval list.

EO: D-609-15
EO Date: 2014-09-22
Part_Number: Model_Specification:
450-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
451-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
452-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang
453-265 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang

Couldn't find up to date approvals for any others.
Lists include all CARB approved equipment.
Great info, but Airaid hasn't shipped the CARB tag for their CAI's as far a I know. I'd like to know if they intend to do so with some kind of proof of purchase. The smog people need to see something official before they will allow it, as there's no link to a PDF of the signed and dated CARB document for D-609-15, Dang!. Maybe it's in the smog guys database or something. This is interesting and would like to know what Airaid has to say about it
Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Great info, but Airaid hasn't shipped the CARB tag for their CAI's as far a I know. I'd like to know if they intend to do so with some kind of proof of purchase. The smog people need to see something official before they will allow it, as there's no link to a PDF of the signed and dated CARB document for D-609-15, Dang!. Maybe it's in the smog guys database or something. This is interesting and would like to know what Airaid has to say about it
Didn't realize that the link I saved and included doesn't take you directly to the page I was looking at.
I went back and made a screen copy of one of the pages that show it.
It may not help, but here it is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-609-15.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	176734

Funny thing is that the email I had received from Airaid mentioned the "carbon trap" as being the reason they couldn't get approval but after researching this I found that only seems to apply to the 5L. Maybe they received approval since I asked 7 months ago. ???
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The airaid cai is carb legal in california i live in california an have the sticker posted under my hood, ironically next to the sticker that says my model is not for sale in california hahah

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
The airaid cai is carb legal in california i live in california an have the sticker posted under my hood, ironically next to the sticker that says my model is not for sale in california hahah

Good to know, I've got to contact Airaid and see if I can get one. I purchased mine in September of 2013.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

For reference if anyone was wondering all of airaids cai are 50 state legal, they dont make cai's that arent, little tid bit i learned researching the company

swhitfield2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhitfield2013 View Post
For reference if anyone was wondering all of airaids cai are 50 state legal, they dont make cai's that arent, little tid bit i learned researching the company

Actually, the Airaid CAI finally got the exemption for the 2011-14 3.7L V6 Mustang in September of 2014. Other car makes got there exemption as they were processed. I contacted Airaid and told them I purchased mine in October of 2013 and that I could provide documentation of the purchase and that I didn't receive the E.O. sticker for my CAI. They replied within an hour and said if I could send them a copy of the receipt or a picture of the CAI installed in my car, they would mail one to me. I sent them a picture of the installed CAI and a picture of the packing slip from Airaid. I should be good to go. They were very helpful and up front. They're website says "No Hassle Warranty", and they didn't give me any hassle. I'll update this when I get the E.O. Sticker for my CAI
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

UPDATE from Airaid!

Airaid just emailed me that the CARB E.O. sticker for my CAI is in the mail. Man, that was easy!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM   #35

Region: Arizona
The following V6 intakes are CARB legal under EO# D-609-15 for the following year cars.
450-265 11-14 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6
451-265 11-14 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6
452-265 11-14 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6
453-265 11-14 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6

The MIT 450-945 is CARB legal under EO# D-609-11 for 2011-2014 3.7 liter Ford Mustang.

The GT's are the one that have a hydrocarbon trap in them. I hope this clears things up. If you need anything please contact us at 800-498-6951.
AIRAID Filters is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai