Cover on for long time - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cover on for long time

Has anybody left a cover on their car for a long period if time? I know when it's cooler out and it rains, water gets trapped in between the cover and car.

Ill be going to Europe for 7 weeks starting Monday and was curious to hear your opinions. It'll be warmer this time of year so I figure the water will evaporate quicker and not linger after it rains too long. I am using the fitted cover for my 2013 from American muscle.
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'm hoping your putting it in a garage for 7 weeks if it rains a lot
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No garage. But ill have family start the car every once in a while. I was just wondering if I should cover or not cover if its probably gonna rain every so often.. I think it'll be ok but I was asking if anybody had any experience with this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
It'll be fine uncovered. But if you do cover it, use a good quality cover. I had my 240sx covered for about a year and the cloth cover fused with the paint on the roof.
It might have been a combination of cheap cover and cheap paint that caused it to fuse.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Buy a good cover. I bought a $50 cover from Wal-mart several years ago to cover a car i had at the time, in two months it was ripped, torn and blew off the car .
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
only seven weeks

I would just put some Sta-Bil in the full gas tank and cover it up. Be sure to tie across the bottom so if it gets windy it wont move at all on your paint job. I would not have anyone start it because it is only seven weeks and starting it and not driving it will probably do more harm then good. A year or more Yes, start it once a month but seven weeks, No.

If you have the CoverCraft outdoor cover then you will be fine using it. If you only have the indoor cover "DON'T use it. Just leave it uncovered. Put one of the silver sun blockers in the front & rear windows and that will at least protect the interior a little from the sun bleaching out the dash Etc.

I have the form fitting cover from Driving Comfort that is made th exactly fit the late Mustangs. It covers the mirrors and even the antenna. Of corse it does cost more.

I looked at what you have on the AM site and it looks like you have the universal indoor/outdoor cover. It will be fine for the seven weeks. Just be sure it fits snug and the wind won't cause it to flap around.

The form fitting outdoor cover is $239
http://www.drivingcomfort.com/block-...-car-cover.cfm

I do think what you already have will be fine for just the seven weeks you will bo gone.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! Just wanted confirmation from te ME community. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Cover it, the sun is your worst enemy. Don't put sta-bill in it, you'll be sorry if you do.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Cover it, the sun is your worst enemy. Don't put sta-bill in it, you'll be sorry if you do.
Would you care to explain? Sta-bil is an excellent product to keep the gas, especially what we get today in the way of higher ethenal contents from turning. In as little as a month, the gas can turn a bit sour, so I'd certainly recommend putting some in to keep it fresh. This stuff has been used by the collector car industry for years to help preserve the fuel from contaminating the fuel system in cars that sit.

Please explain your reasoning as to why "youll be sorry if you do".
Old 05-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Put it in my last mustang before I stored it for the winter, the car smoked bad and ran like crap til it was out.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My 12 takes 10-12 weeks to burn a tank no more than I drive it with no problems. Buying good gas to start with helps.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I buy the good stuff, unfortunatly it contains at least 10% ethanol, which is the killer for fuel standing for a period of time.

As to your smoking, I'll venture you put way to much sta-bil in the tank.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I buy the good stuff, unfortunatly it contains at least 10% ethanol, which is the killer for fuel standing for a period of time.

As to your smoking, I'll venture you put way to much sta-bil in the tank.
A half bottles to a full tank, I don't think so.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sta-Bil is great stuff

TC X 4 Said.
Quote:
Put it in my last mustang before I stored it for the winter, the car smoked bad and ran like crap til it was out.
It must have been something else causing your problem because it sure wasn't the Sta-Bil. I store gas for my generator for two years at a time and then use it in my cars and never had a problem. When you use the stuff you need to know that you have to use the correct amount and have a full gas tank to keep the moisture down. The Ethanol in the gas will attract moisture if you don't have a full tank during storage.

Bucko was 100% right on when he said:
Quote:
Sta-bil is an excellent product to keep the gas, especially what we get today in the way of higher ethenal contents from turning. In as little as a month, the gas can turn a bit sour, so I'd certainly recommend putting some in to keep it fresh. This stuff has been used by the collector car industry for years to help preserve the fuel from contaminating the fuel system in cars that sit.
The correct mixture is 1 ounce for every 2 1/2 gallons of gas. If you need to store for two years you double that amount to 2 ounces for each 2 1/2 gallons.

I hang with a bunch of street rodders and they all love two things. Sta-Bil & Battery Tenders.

Ronnie
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
Has anybody left a cover on their car for a long period if time? I know when it's cooler out and it rains, water gets trapped in between the cover and car.

Ill be going to Europe for 7 weeks starting Monday and was curious to hear your opinions. It'll be warmer this time of year so I figure the water will evaporate quicker and not linger after it rains too long. I am using the fitted cover for my 2013 from American muscle.
Your car will be fine with the cover on it. Make sure it's secure on the car and the tie down is across the underside of the car and you'll be in good shape!

Have a good trip and let me know if you ever have any questions or need some assistance in the future.

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Seems like everyone hit all of the main points. One additional thing that I would reccomend is try to keep the car on a solid surface. If you park it on stone/gravel/grass id park it on top of a 2"x6". Something my father always reccomended.
United States Army
armymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Only seven or eight weeks

Just cover it and be sure to tie it tight across the bottom like Dan suggests. Full Gas Tank. It will be fine.

If it will make you feel better, Give me your Plane tickets and credit cards and I will take your vacation to Europe for you.

Ronnie
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #18
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Luckily we have a place here that sells 0% ethanol 87 octane and 93 octane.

As for the cover, make sure both the car and the cover are clean of ANY dirt/grime/contaminants before you put it on. I had a few grains of sand trapped under mine and it etched the clear coat over the course of about 2 weeks. Thankfully, I was able to buff and polish it out.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Where in Florida? And how much a gallon for non ethanol?

I heard there's a bill being presented in the Florida house to ban ethanol in Florida. I wonder if it will pass, and how much a gallon it will cost us.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Bucko

Only at a larger boat Marina or at some airports can you get gas with zero ethanol. It is expensive.

As far as the removing the ethanol mandate the bill passed both houses to remove it and all it has to do now is be signed by our idiot Governor. It is house bill 4001 sponsored by Matt Gaetz .

Ronnie
Old 05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Where in Florida? And how much a gallon for non ethanol?
It's up here in Panama City. Last I checked, it's $3.94 for the 93 octane. Can't remember what the other was.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What kind of gas station??????????

Is it a Shell, Citco, BP , Chevron ??????????

What is the brand name. Is it at a Marina or airport ??

Don't go by weather it says 10% ethanol on the pumps because the sticker is not always put on the pumps but the 10% ethanol is still there. One of the Shell stations I go to don't have the sticker on a few of their pumps.

Ronnie
Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

It's called Pier 98 and a think they consider it a marina even though all they have is a small boat dock. But their pumps definitely say "ethanol free" on them.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Good deal

That is really a good price for 93 octane with no ethanol. Your lucky they sell it to you for your car. I believe it is supposed to be put into boats only but who cares.

Ronnie
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

agree. cover it. do not leave it in the sun... i bought a sick cover made of a nice material for like $200...
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang