CAI or Drop in filter?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
CAI or Drop in filter??

I'm new to this world and I have read mixed reviews online so I finally figured I'd come ask you experts...

Is a CAI worth the $$$ or just get a drop-in replacement filter??

Thanks in advance guys!
RocknCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknCali View Post
I'm new to this world and I have read mixed reviews online so I finally figured I'd come ask you experts...

Is a CAI worth the $$$ or just get a drop-in replacement filter??

Thanks in advance guys!
Definitely CAI!
dugemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
A CAI is only worth the money if you get one that works with a tuner. There are many sold that do not require a tuner; these provide nice under the hood looks, and a sound (like the sound tube installed on the GT's) that folks like to hear, but do little in added air flow. Ford did a great job with the stock airbox; it flows great. They installed a "muffler" in the stock tube side that drowns out the sound folks like to hear when they stomp the pedal.

If you plan to buy a CAI for cosmetics, or for the sound, than any CAI will work for you. If you want all that plus some performace gains, buy a CAI that works with a tuner, as that's whats going to give you the best of all worlds.
Personally, I'd avoid any CAI that states "does not require a tuner", as these are basically stock replacements for looks and sound only. If your creative, you could cut the muffler (sound deadner) off of your stock setup, fiberglass the hole, then repaint.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
A CAI is only worth the money if you get one that works with a tuner. There are many sold that do not require a tuner; these provide nice under the hood looks, and a sound (like the sound tube installed on the GT's) that folks like to hear, but do little in added air flow. Ford did a great job with the stock airbox; it flows great. They installed a "muffler" in the stock tube side that drowns out the sound folks like to hear when they stomp the pedal.

If you plan to buy a CAI for cosmetics, or for the sound, than any CAI will work for you. If you want all that plus some performace gains, buy a CAI that works with a tuner, as that's whats going to give you the best of all worlds.
Personally, I'd avoid any CAI that states "does not require a tuner", as these are basically stock replacements for looks and sound only. If your creative, you could cut the muffler (sound deadner) off of your stock setup, fiberglass the hole, then repaint.
What this guy said
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
CAI without a doubt. You can buy combos CAI with the tuner. U won't feel much gain if any without the tune.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
If you don't want a tune

I had the K&N drop in filter and even though it did sound better then the stock filter when full throttle it had no different feeling with throttle response.

I put on the Airaid because of just the good looks it will have when I put the hood up at car shows. ( Eye Candy) It Doooo look great.

I was totally surprised when I got in and rolled away the first time after installing the Airaid. The throttle response is improved 100% compared to what it was before the Airaid. I have no tune. I'm sure with a tune it would work even better but I don't race or auto-X anymore so the stock tune works OK for me. There is no downside of having a CAI that I can see. I do not think it was a waste of money because it does add the Eye Candy I wanted with the bonus of a great sound and excellent throttle response.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
cai or keep the stock.

The drop in is crap. Bob the oil guy did a test and the k&n is the middle if the road performance wise. The pro: is that it is reusable.

The no tune Cais are just as good as the others unless you can feel an extra 4 hp ( steeda and ??) Most of the ones on the market are no tune required but the tune will help you get the most benefit. I haven't seen any negative responses in any cai other than they fit snug in a few.

I do think the are too expensive for what they are. I think the price should be around 150-175. But that's just me.

I don't regret mine. I noticed 0 performance gains but did notice better throttle response and it did make the car sound more aggressive and looks cool when I pop the hood. Combined with the tune I later got then I awakened the beast.

Do what makes you happy. It's your car and there's no downside other than you are spending money. Then it is all downhill as it becomes addicting.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I had the K&N drop in filter and even though it did sound better then the stock filter when full throttle it had no different feeling with throttle response.

I put on the Airaid because of just the good looks it will have when I put the hood up at car shows. ( Eye Candy) It Doooo look great.

I was totally surprised when I got in and rolled away the first time after installing the Airaid. The throttle response is improved 100% compared to what it was before the Airaid. I have no tune. I'm sure with a tune it would work even better but I don't race or auto-X anymore so the stock tune works OK for me. There is no downside of having a CAI that I can see. I do not think it was a waste of money because it does add the Eye Candy I wanted with the bonus of a great sound and excellent throttle response.

Ronnie
Agreed.
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai