Questions about the exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Questions about the exhaust

So what's the differences between Straight pipe, X pipe and H pipe?

I wanna get the Borla Atak, and planning to do it with the straight pipe, because I heard people say Straight pipe will get a louder noise. What do i need to buy? Catback or axle back? And i may get the BBK header too.
Rileychan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
All of these definitions came from a Google search:

Straight pipe - (Straight Pipes) If the exhaust system has no baffles in the muffler the exhaust is unrestricted and flows straight...

X-pipe - An X-Pipe is, you guessed it, shaped like an x, and allows the exhaust to flow down the path of least resistance. At lower revs, turbulence is formed as exhaust gases try to shuffle past a second column of gases coming from the other side. While always producing more power than the restrictive factory system, the potential gains are not seen until higher rpms are reached. This is where an X-Pipe stands apart from the rest.

H-pipe - An H-Pipe is also shaped like its namesake and relies on exhaust expansion to balance the cylinder banks. A small section of tubing in between the main pipes provides an area for gases to expand into during exhaust pulses. Only a small amount of exhaust flows from one stream to the other as both sides push back and forth in the center section.

While both X and H pipes serve the same purpose, they use different methods to build power and economy, all while providing a distinctive sound. Think of an X-Pipe as being at home in a high-winding modern V6 or V8 while an H-Pipe conjures memories of tire-shredding torque in classic American iron.

And loud is not nessesarily better.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
All of these definitions came from a Google search:

Straight pipe - (Straight Pipes) If the exhaust system has no baffles in the muffler the exhaust is unrestricted and flows straight...

X-pipe - An X-Pipe is, you guessed it, shaped like an x, and allows the exhaust to flow down the path of least resistance. At lower revs, turbulence is formed as exhaust gases try to shuffle past a second column of gases coming from the other side. While always producing more power than the restrictive factory system, the potential gains are not seen until higher rpms are reached. This is where an X-Pipe stands apart from the rest.

H-pipe - An H-Pipe is also shaped like its namesake and relies on exhaust expansion to balance the cylinder banks. A small section of tubing in between the main pipes provides an area for gases to expand into during exhaust pulses. Only a small amount of exhaust flows from one stream to the other as both sides push back and forth in the center section.

While both X and H pipes serve the same purpose, they use different methods to build power and economy, all while providing a distinctive sound. Think of an X-Pipe as being at home in a high-winding modern V6 or V8 while an H-Pipe conjures memories of tire-shredding torque in classic American iron.

And loud is not nessesarily better.
+1

H-pipe is deeper while an x-pipe will be raspy. Straigths will be louder but also wont have as much tone i would stick will a croosover pipe, you will be much happier with the tone. On the stock 2011+ v6 ford made a hybrid pipe which is a cross between the x and the h. Gts come stock with an H pipe but many people stich to Xs. Look on youtube for the sound difference.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a V6 I recommend going for a deeper tone H, or pro chamber. I have a V8 So I plan on going X pipe with M80 to take away the rasp. With SLP's I know it will be ungodly raspy so ima cruise with that set-up until I get pulled over too many time or get alot of complaints. Then I'll lock the m80's in to tone it down...

Not to high jack your thread OP, but I'm doing long tubes with high flow cats next year, should I keep the m80's on in the back or dump them when I add the cats?
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
If you have a V6 I recommend going for a deeper tone H, or pro chamber. I have a V8 So I plan on going X pipe with M80 to take away the rasp. With SLP's I know it will be ungodly raspy so ima cruise with that set-up until I get pulled over too many time or get alot of complaints. Then I'll lock the m80's in to tone it down...

Not to high jack your thread OP, but I'm doing long tubes with high flow cats next year, should I keep the m80's on in the back or dump them when I add the cats?
Well I know dumps can drone pretty bad but I don't mind drone so I might, I think that no tailpipes looks weird but dumps do sound really good. Dumps are a bit louder due to the fact that there is less bends but the noose is pointed towards the ground so from the outside its a toss up.
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
catback
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust