Neutral to drive on Auto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Neutral to drive on Auto

I have an automatic and I switch from natural to drive alot while moving. Is this bad? In sure it is but how bad really? I don't think I could grind gears on an auto unless I I'm at a high rpm on neutral and switch over to drive with my door still in the pedal:p
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I have an automatic and I switch from natural to drive alot while moving. Is this bad? In sure it is but how bad really? I don't think I could grind gears on an auto unless I I'm at a high rpm on neutral and switch over to drive with my door still in the pedal:p
Just a heads up, if you attempt a rev drop in the newer autos, it'll won't instantly go I to gear. It'll wait for your revs to go down. So I the computer controls it, I doubt doing that would be painful.

However, if you're rolling backwards so others will think you're driving stick, I have no answer to that :p
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

Just a heads up, if you attempt a rev drop in the newer autos, it'll won't instantly go I to gear. It'll wait for your revs to go down. So I the computer controls it, I doubt doing that would be painful.

However, if you're rolling backwards so others will think you're driving stick, I have no answer to that :p
Lmao ^
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's bad. It'll slip the clutch that shifts the stop-1-2. My mom does this but because of the manual mode when she drives in d it lags ├╝ber hard. Your just wearing out the synchros or whatever the auto equivalent is.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed
Sounds like you need a stick lol
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

+100 whenever I drive any of our other cars I always feel like putting it into neutral at a stop to take my feet off the pedals.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah every day I regret not getting a manual u.u
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah every day I regret not getting a manual u.u
Zed u cant even drive stick lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Lol
Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Zed u cant even drive stick lol
Charlie You drive an auto too!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'll need to do some research on this one.

From what I have always been told was that when putting the automatic in neutral while the car is moving is very bad due to the pump is not flowing the fluid which is like stopping the blood from flowing into your heart. That was with the old Hydromatic transmissions. With the new computer controled automatics I would think it would probably cause a problem in the long run. I can't see any feasable reason to put a car with the automatic transmission into neautral while in motion. Save gas ??? I really don't think so. On these new computer controlled cars the injecters are shut to idle when you let off of the throttle.

As far as down shifting I can't see any harm at all except it will put a jolt to the drive train. I don't think it will hurt anything though.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

Burn!!! Lol I didn't know that Charlie. Sucks to be you.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Lets not get into the Auto or stick argument.

You have to remember that the Mustang named Eleanor in the original "Gone in 60 seconds" was an Automatic. Also the Eleanor that was in the later remake with Nick Cage is also an automatic.

The original Bullet is a Four Speed stick.

The Ford Automatic transmissions are great and work great. The old four speeds were great.

The new six speeds have to many gears for my personal taste. All of the gears are a PITA and unneeded. They did it to save gas or something. Even first gear in the automatic is toooo low a ratio. These engines 3.7 and 5.0 would work better for performance if they had a 4 or 5 speed with wider ratios. They have enought torque and horsepower that the six gears are just not really needed.

Neither the stick or auto is better then the other. It is up to what you like or if handicapped can drive.

Ronnie
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You have to remember that the Mustang named Eleanor in the original "Gone in 60 seconds" was an Automatic. Also the Eleanor that was in the later remake with Nick Cage is also an automatic.

The original Bullet is a Four Speed stick.

The Ford Automatic transmissions are great and work great. The old four speeds were great.

The new six speeds have to many gears for my personal taste. All of the gears are a PITA and unneeded. They did it to save gas or something. Even first gear in the automatic is toooo low a ratio. These engines 3.7 and 5.0 would work better for performance if they had a 4 or 5 speed with wider ratios. They have enought torque and horsepower that the six gears are just not really needed.

Neither the stick or auto is better then the other. It is up to what you like or if handicapped can drive.

Ronnie
I love my car! Auto or not it's amazing! But their is times where I need to shift manually you know:p plus their is more to do with a stick(x
Old 05-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have an auto, and I don't mind it at all. Don't have to worry about traffic jams and what not! But it gets boring after so long haha. I find myself always having my hand on the shifter, just wanting to clutch in, shift gears and have a blast. Might have to fix this problem in the future
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
I have an auto, and I don't mind it at all. Don't have to worry about traffic jams and what not! But it gets boring after so long haha. I find myself always having my hand on the shifter, just wanting to clutch in, shift gears and have a blast. Might have to fix this problem in the future
I live in a city but still hate driving an auto in it, even though i'm always on the clutch changing gears its still so much better to me than an auto, i can never go back lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what you mean :p
Coty (whitelightning) made fun of me for it :p
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you have an auto, leave the damn thing in a drive gear while moving. Only shift out of neutral into drive from a complete stop. Also, when stopped on inclines, use your brake pedal... letting the torque converter slippage maintain standstill on an incline is overheating the transmission.

You have an automatic, drive it like one and quit abusing it. You're just going to end up butt hurt later when it dies because you did stupid crap to it.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
If you have an auto, leave the damn thing in a drive gear while moving. Only shift out of neutral into drive from a complete stop. Also, when stopped on inclines, use your brake pedal... letting the torque converter slippage maintain standstill on an incline is overheating the transmission.

You have an automatic, drive it like one and quit abusing it. You're just going to end up butt hurt later when it dies because you did stupid crap to it.
And that's when you swap in a manual tranny, right? :p
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And that's when you swap in a manual tranny, right? :p
If only it wasn't so pricey to change them out!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If only it wasn't so pricey to change them out!
DIY?
Lol :p
Jk
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sticking your auto in neutral while moving and trying to neutral dump, rolling backwards etc is stupid but dropping it into 3rd at 60/70 mph is not. And it avoids some of the lag problem. Properly moving the shifter through the gears is not going to damage the tranny. Even in the 11/12s.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
my life story bro! I'm looking into trading mine in for a Gt some time in the future, but this time fore sure it's going to be manual(:
Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

DIY?
Lol :p
Jk
Haha I would! Still pricey to get everything for one though.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Sticking your auto in neutral while moving and trying to neutral dump, rolling backwards etc is stupid but dropping it into 3rd at 60/70 mph is not. And it avoids some of the lag problem. Properly moving the shifter through the gears is not going to damage the tranny. Even in the 11/12s.
Which is why I specified a "drive gear."

Old 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmfao I learned how to first drive in a stick. Once u learn its like riding a bike you never forget. But I bet only a few here can say they can drive a semi? How about that for manual hahaha 18 gears n I can do it like a pro :p
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Which is why I specified a "drive gear."
My apologies. I miss read it as drive. A little clarification makes things, well, clear.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I wouldn't advise doing it. I started doing it to and after 2 weeks for some reason my throttle response sucked and it felt like the brake was on. I let it sit for awhile and then it would go back to normal. So ya I don't do it now.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Lmfao I learned how to first drive in a stick. Once u learn its like riding a bike you never forget. But I bet only a few here can say they can drive a semi? How about that for manual hahaha 18 gears n I can do it like a pro :p
So why would you drive an auto mustang if your so pro at stick....lol
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudSixxer26 View Post
I wouldn't advise doing it. I started doing it to and after 2 weeks for some reason my throttle response sucked and it felt like the brake was on. I let it sit for awhile and then it would go back to normal. So ya I don't do it now.
I the testing. My throttle response is just fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #32
Zed
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So why would you drive an auto mustang if your so pro at stick....lol
He used to have an 04 GT that was stick and I guess he got lazy of sharing all te time(x
Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Midnight2012

Quote:
I don't think the OP was talking about dropping down a gear but just putting it in neutral and either coasting to save gas or he may want to be putting it into neutral and getting the RPM's up then sliding it into drive.

Either way is really stupid. Ask Why??? If trying to save gas by coasting in neutral is not only illegal but it won't save gas. The computer shuts the fuel going into the injectors to idle as soon as you let off the pedal.

Trying to spin the wheels or something, No way, all you are doing is putting a lot of strain on the transmission and drive train. It is only going to go into the gear that the computer wants it to.

With a 2011 or 2012 there is a button on the side of the shifter handle that locks out 6th. gear. It is supposed to be used for hills but it also works great for letting your 2:73 ratio feel like a 3:73 ratio when tooling around town.

When a driver gets to know his/her automatic and how to use it properly doing performance driving they will outperform a stick almost all of the time. When your in the proper gear for what you need at the time the car really don't know if it has a manual or an automatic transmission.

A Manual transmission is really fun for people that want them but it is no better or worse then an automatic.

Personally , I like a stick "4 or 5 speed" but I also like an Automatic. I just don't like the six speed manuals because the ratios are to close together. Fine for four cylinder powerless cars but when you have the torque and power of the 3.7 or new GT's a 6 speed manual is a hindrance. The six gears are more suited to the automatic even though I think a five speed auto would be much better for performance.

Ronnie
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Eh... I skip gears in my manual all the time. 90% of the time I'm in 5th or 6th when I'm at a steady speed. The ratios are really close for most daily, around-town driving. Good thing we don't have to use all the gears, lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

I don't think the OP was talking about dropping down a gear but just putting it in neutral and either coasting to save gas or he may want to be putting it into neutral and getting the RPM's up then sliding it into drive.

Either way is really stupid. Ask Why??? If trying to save gas by coasting in neutral is not only illegal but it won't save gas. The computer shuts the fuel going into the injectors to idle as soon as you let off the pedal.

Trying to spin the wheels or something, No way, all you are doing is putting a lot of strain on the transmission and drive train. It is only going to go into the gear that the computer wants it to.

With a 2011 or 2012 there is a button on the side of the shifter handle that locks out 6th. gear. It is supposed to be used for hills but it also works great for letting your 2:73 ratio feel like a 3:73 ratio when tooling around town.

When a driver gets to know his/her automatic and how to use it properly doing performance driving they will outperform a stick almost all of the time. When your in the proper gear for what you need at the time the car really don't know if it has a manual or an automatic transmission.

A Manual transmission is really fun for people that want them but it is no better or worse then an automatic.

Personally , I like a stick "4 or 5 speed" but I also like an Automatic. I just don't like the six speed manuals because the ratios are to close together. Fine for four cylinder powerless cars but when you have the torque and power of the 3.7 or new GT's a 6 speed manual is a hindrance. The six gears are more suited to the automatic even though I think a five speed auto would be much better for performance.

Ronnie
Seems I said that with fewer words. lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang