Intake problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Intake problems

So I just installed my CAI on my new stang and it kinda freaked me because I got everything installed and I thought it good. But when I went out on the road I hear a really noticeable noise coming from my engine. It's like whenever you'd hear the air going to the intake it makes a noise that I can't really explain. I'm not sure what to do? Is it just because my car is still new? Because my check engine light isn't on or anything like that so I'm not sure? Should I just put my stock back in for now? Please help!
Thanks.
MustangMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Does it sound like its sucking air in kind of loud before shifting gears? If so thats completely normal. Due to the design of the filter you will hear the intake sucking air in and will also have a sort of growl to it depending on rpms
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottxspyder View Post
Does it sound like its sucking air in kind of loud before shifting gears? If so thats completely normal. Due to the design of the filter you will hear the intake sucking air in and will also have a sort of growl to it depending on rpms
Yeah that's exactly what it is. But thanks man. That makes me feel better. It just freaked me because I had no idea what it was.
Is it always gonna make that loud of a noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Yes its normal, but I'm not sure how loud you are talking about. My steeda is barely noticeable, but it also has a larger diameter tube therefore it won't be as loud as yours.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well thanks man. Makes me feel better. Hah
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What CAI did you install ???

I have the Airaid on mine and I really don't hear anything when just driving around. When I punch it I sure hear the air sucking in.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I agree with Ronnie. Slightly noticeable on my JLT CAI, but when I put my foot in it. It makes a world of difference
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I always hear my intake but thats because I have my airaid and TB Spacer and a GT sound Tube lol so I get a really good roar from the intake
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I always hear my intake but thats because I have my airaid and TB Spacer and a GT sound Tube lol so I get a really good roar from the intake
That's the thing now. I let it ride and then now it sounds like my engine is meaner and like roaring. But it's so weird.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thought the goal was to be loud?
clamphier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
mine makes like a weird kind of knocking noise it makes my engine really loud and it sounds and seems sluggish in low rpms
Rahbarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Sounds to me like your missing a block of cap. On the automatic transmissions, there's a tube that runs from the intake tube to the transmission. All CAI's have this fitting (a nipple tube). If you have a standard transmission, then this tube requires a block off cap. Otherwise, you draw in unfiltered air, which messes up the mass air air flow sensor (at the air filter). This missing cap creates an "air whooshing" type sound.

Manual transmission? If so, check to see if you have this uncapped tube; then plug it.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sounds to me like your missing a block of cap. On the automatic transmissions, there's a tube that runs from the intake tube to the transmission. All CAI's have this fitting (a nipple tube). If you have a standard transmission, then this tube requires a block off cap. Otherwise, you draw in unfiltered air, which messes up the mass air air flow sensor (at the air filter). This missing cap creates an "air whooshing" type sound.

Manual transmission? If so, check to see if you have this uncapped tube; then plug it.
Where would this cap be
Old 06-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

All hoses are hooked up just the two hose and the maf sensor my first afraid did this and I go rid of it now this one does I think in going to switch to a bank or jlt
Old 06-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbarin View Post
Where would this cap be
The "cap" or plug would (or should have) been included in the install package. If you bought used, then perhaps the previous owner did not include it.

On the air tube that runs from the cone air filter to the throttle body, check about halfway on this tube for fittings/nipples that would have tubes that connect to the drivers side valve cover (all models: automatics and manual transmissions), and an additional tube/nipple connection for automatic transmissions only will have a tube connected from this additional tube/nipple to the automatic transmission. Manual transmissions require this tube/nipple to be capped off (plugged). Most CAI kits have a plug or cap to block it off for manual transmission vehicles.
I posted a picture of Ronnies setup and circled the tube I'm refering to that is used for automatic transmissions only. The nipple for this tube would need to be capped off for manual transmissions.

Click the image for a larger view:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jltCAI.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	113844  
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The "cap" or plug would (or should have) been included in the install package. If you bought used, then perhaps the previous owner did not include it.

On the air tube that runs from the cone air filter to the throttle body, check about halfway on this tube for fittings/nipples that would have tubes that connect to the drivers side valve cover (all models: automatics and manual transmissions), and an additional tube/nipple connection for automatic transmissions only will have a tube connected from this additional tube/nipple to the automatic transmission. Manual transmissions require this tube/nipple to be capped off (plugged). Most CAI kits have a plug or cap to block it off for manual transmission vehicles.
I posted a picture of Ronnies setup and circled the tube I'm refering to that is used for automatic transmissions only. The nipple for this tube would need to be capped off for manual transmissions.

Click the image for a larger view:
Did you really use Ronnie's car for you illustration.....LOL
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post

Did you really use Ronnie's car for you illustration.....LOL
Hey if it helps op out then it worked lol
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So I spoke with a performance shop and they said out of the box these intakes have a restricted intake peice in them and if I remove that it should stop the bogging I would go outside and check but it's raining so hard I can't even see my car 20 feet away so can anyone confirm this
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbarin View Post
So I spoke with a performance shop and they said out of the box these intakes have a restricted intake peice in them and if I remove that it should stop the bogging I would go outside and check but it's raining so hard I can't even see my car 20 feet away so can anyone confirm this
This is true with Airraid. It is for those who want to restrict the intake air flow so tuning is not necessary. If you have a tune on your car then you will not need it. If you haven't tuned your car, it's best to keep it in. Not saying it will run flawed. Eventually you engine may adjust, but for better performance with the CAI to engine, you will need to tune it
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

This is what it may look like

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2464648663.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	113867
Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
This is true with Airraid. It is for those who want to restrict the intake air flow so tuning is not necessary. If you have a tune on your car then you will not need it. If you haven't tuned your car, it's best to keep it in. Not saying it will run flawed. Eventually you engine may adjust, but for better performance with the CAI to engine, you will need to tune it
I just took my intake off and there was nothing in the the tube
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Tyrigg

You asked:
[QUOTE][Did you really use Ronnie's car for you illustration.....LOL/QUOTE]

I'm happy to help with any picture I post. Bucko is really good at his information and almost 100% spot on. If any of my photo's can help anyone on the forum I'm happy.

My Airaid came with the block off cap and I had to remove it to install my Automatic transmission hose. I loved the way Airaid supplied everything needed for the installation including instructions.

Ronnie
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #23
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Ronnie948 has such a clean shot of his engine compartment and airraid, I could not resist!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie948 has such a clean shot of his engine compartment and airraid, I could not resist!!!
Haha!!! Gotcha!!!! And Ronnie. It's TYRIQQ, just saying
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Sorry TYRIQQ

On your avatar they look like gg.

Ronnie
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
On your avatar they look like gg.

Ronnie
Haha!!! No biggie
Old 06-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

If I'm driving and give it a light press on gas just enought to open the throttle its like it sounds like a turbo slowly spoiling up the best way I can describe my stuff.. And it's only if I'm moving.. It won't make the same sound if I'm at a light
gorillaz131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz131 View Post
If I'm driving and give it a light press on gas just enought to open the throttle its like it sounds like a turbo slowly spoiling up the best way I can describe my stuff.. And it's only if I'm moving.. It won't make the same sound if I'm at a light
That's completely normal. You are hearing the air being sucked in the air tube
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Ok sweet I've always notice it and its a lil annoying but if its normal I can rest a little easier
gorillaz131 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang