Octane issues? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Octane issues?

So I think the rattling I hear, when my auto shifts, has to do with my octane. has anybody else had this issue?
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If it's pinging then it's possible if you are tuned. Try a premium name fuel and see if it goes away. My mach 1 had a little pinging before I backed off the timing a degree and ran it 2 points richer. Car runs healthy and happy now.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Your car came from the factory to run on 87 octane. If it has no tune installed, and the noise is truly pinging, I'd get it checked out as to why its pinging. Adding a higher octane to prevent the ping is only a band aid fix.

Now if it has a tune installed, then the higher octane may be required by the tune for the aggressive timing the tune has installed. The stock tune only requires 87 octane.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 91 hybrid race tune on my vehicle. I was running the 87 street but the noise was still there. I don't recall hearing that rattle until I tuned the the vehicle. Also, what do you mean blue about running two points richer. Do you mean putting on a 93 octane?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamp1 View Post
I have a 91 hybrid race tune on my vehicle. I was running the 87 street but the noise was still there. I don't recall hearing that rattle until I tuned the the vehicle. Also, what do you mean blue about running two points richer. Do you mean putting on a 93 octane?
No. If you have a 91 octane tune you Neeeed to run 91 octane. Sounds like your tunes may be off a bit. By 2 points richer I mean through the tuner you can tune to make it run slightly richer at WOT.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

No. If you have a 91 octane tune you Neeeed to run 91 octane. Sounds like your tunes may be off a bit. By 2 points richer I mean through the tuner you can tune to make it run slightly richer at WOT. I think it may be percent.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

No. If you have a 91 octane tune you Neeeed to run 91 octane. Sounds like your tunes may be off a bit. By 2 points richer I mean through the tuner you can tune to make it run slightly richer at WOT.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------
Bama is having me run the 87 performance tune with 91 octane fuel. I just changed the tune this afternoon and will give it some time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang