What is worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What is worth it?

I'm taking delivery in about a week!

It's my first time buying a brand new car and, of course, the dealer gave me a ton of info about add-ons (warranty, rustproofing, etc).

With regards to the 2013-14 mustang..... What's BS and what's worth actually taking a look at when it comes to the extras?

If it helps: V6 premium, MCoA, nav, backup cam, 3.31 ratio, manual

Lem
Lemonart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to brandonveiga Send a message via Skype™ to brandonveiga
I have the premium and love the slightly upgraded interior (shaker 500, steering wheel controls, extra gauges etc.) However, i didnt get any other options on it. The thing is, you can do better upgrades for cheaper. For instance, you can put whatever gears you want (3.73 / 4.10 etc) for about $180 rather than pay Ford the 2K or whatever it is for the track pack. That's just an example. but if you dont think you have the knowledge or want a third party shop to do the work, you can always pay Ford for the options

As Jeremy Clarkson would say: POWEEERRRRR
brandonveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Personally I always get the gap insurance but that is it most of the time. I have bought used vehicles in the past that I added the extended warranty. It seems like the few times I have needed to use it though they always give me the run around and say that whatever the problem may be is not covered. On a new vehicle I never mess with any of the extended stuff, we did do the interior protectant on my wife's vehicle because of the possibility of the kids making a mess.

Mustang specific, I really don't know. I am still learning the in's and out's of a newer mustang.
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge450 View Post
Personally I always get the gap insurance but that is it most of the time. I have bought used vehicles in the past that I added the extended warranty. It seems like the few times I have needed to use it though they always give me the run around and say that whatever the problem may be is not covered. On a new vehicle I never mess with any of the extended stuff, we did do the interior protectant on my wife's vehicle because of the possibility of the kids making a mess.

Mustang specific, I really don't know. I am still learning the in's and out's of a newer mustang.
+1 on the gap insurance! I learned my lesson when u totaled my 2012 mustang & my I insurance only payed the actual car value & I was left with the remaining balance of what I owed!
Old 05-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
All I got was gap insurance on mine. They didn't offer me extended warranties or any addons, I even requested gap insurance. Then again, I came into the dealership telling them what I wanted, not the other way around.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Region: Arkansas
Hello Lemonart and my fellow ME pals.. I am a newbie here and a proud owner of the 2013 Pony car.

I am trying to contribute with my experience from purchase of this fantastic machine. To start with, I have not taken any additional plans with the purchase of my new car.
I have used all that I can to negotiate a below invoice price and I would not let the dealer walk away with all that money again in the form of additional add-on's.
With what i can remember,here are the stuffs they offered me and i gave explanation on why i rejected it:

Paint protection- Any paint would go bad if you do not take care if it. Have a good cleaning routine to wash away metal dust, bird poop, dead bugs. If you let them be on your car, no amount of paint protection is going to help. Btw, there are so many websites that tell you how to take care of the paint.

Rust proof- The modern technology used in car making is not prone to rusts at-least that easily. However, a good cleaning routine ( both internal and external cleaning) will prolong the life of the metal.

Extended warranty: One of the reason for owning a mustang is the ability to customize it. Dealers would love to void the warranty citing the bullish reasons. 3 years of warranty is good enough to protect the new car. You would be itching to make serious mods after spending few weeks/months with your car. Why to pay ahead when you know that things can change in the future. Moreover, if you are not into mods by the end of 3rd year, you can choose to opt for a extended plan which the dealers would be happy to offer you to make some money.

GAP insurance: When financing a new car, you are required to have a full coverage which covers most of the car cost. Moreover, its useful only when the car is totaled/not suitable to drive. Now what are the chances of that happening? I am sure you would drive with extra care considering its a new car. The dealer would try to scare you by telling stories, but the odds of that happening is very minimal. I straight away rejected it.

Service plan: you would not need services like tire rotation, fluid check etc which you can do yourself. The only expense would be the oil change at every 5k miles and that would be pretty cheap and it is required to maintain the factory warranty.

Choosing these partly or fully would set you back anywhere around 1k-4k. I did not think any of this was worth the money the dealers demanded and rejected all of them

Now all this being said, i can only state my opinion.. Choosing/rejecting any plan is completely your choice and decision.

P.S : sorry for the long first post. Thought of giving a complete information that i am aware of.
nxmoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxmoh View Post
Hello Lemonart and my fellow ME pals.. I am a newbie here and a proud owner of the 2013 Pony car.

I am trying to contribute with my experience from purchase of this fantastic machine. To start with, I have not taken any additional plans with the purchase of my new car.
I have used all that I can to negotiate a below invoice price and I would not let the dealer walk away with all that money again in the form of additional add-on's.
With what i can remember,here are the stuffs they offered me and i gave explanation on why i rejected it:

Paint protection- Any paint would go bad if you do not take care if it. Have a good cleaning routine to wash away metal dust, bird poop, dead bugs. If you let them be on your car, no amount of paint protection is going to help. Btw, there are so many websites that tell you how to take care of the paint.

Rust proof- The modern technology used in car making is not prone to rusts at-least that easily. However, a good cleaning routine ( both internal and external cleaning) will prolong the life of the metal.

Extended warranty: One of the reason for owning a mustang is the ability to customize it. Dealers would love to void the warranty citing the bullish reasons. 3 years of warranty is good enough to protect the new car. You would be itching to make serious mods after spending few weeks/months with your car. Why to pay ahead when you know that things can change in the future. Moreover, if you are not into mods by the end of 3rd year, you can choose to opt for a extended plan which the dealers would be happy to offer you to make some money.

GAP insurance: When financing a new car, you are required to have a full coverage which covers most of the car cost. Moreover, its useful only when the car is totaled/not suitable to drive. Now what are the chances of that happening? I am sure you would drive with extra care considering its a new car. The dealer would try to scare you by telling stories, but the odds of that happening is very minimal. I straight away rejected it.

Service plan: you would not need services like tire rotation, fluid check etc which you can do yourself. The only expense would be the oil change at every 5k miles and that would be pretty cheap and it is required to maintain the factory warranty.

Choosing these partly or fully would set you back anywhere around 1k-4k. I did not think any of this was worth the money the dealers demanded and rejected all of them

Now all this being said, i can only state my opinion.. Choosing/rejecting any plan is completely your choice and decision.

P.S : sorry for the long first post. Thought of giving a complete information that i am aware of.
I wish I would have know what gap insurance was when I got my 2012 mustang! It got totaled 9 months in. Guess I'm the one of the unlucky few!
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Did anyone else get the Tire / Wheel warranty? $400 for 5year/60,000 road hazard protection. Apparently covers my tire if they get a hole or blow from a road hazard. He said potholes, nails, etc. Will also cover my wheels ( performance package ), if they those get damaged as well. Only stipulation to that being, they have to be damaged to the point where the tire will no longer hold air due to the wheel damage. So no scuffs, rash, etc. This is the only warranty the salesman brought up to me, saying its the only one he really thinks is worth it. For $400, sounded like a decent deal to me.
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
The best thing to remember in buying a car is that all the add ons are price negotiable. The dealer gets a "kick back" on any add on warranties they sell you. If you say no to all (gap insurance excluded), you'll most definatetly get flyers in the mailbox asking you to buy additional extended warranties, etc.

Good rule to go by: get your financing done ahead of time. Visit your bank or credit union, and get pre-approved. Auto dealers don't like this, as they get kick backs on the financing too. The higher the interest they can get you to sign for, the more they can make on that part of the deal.

Never, ever tell a dealership what payment you can afford! This will set the price immediately! Simply tell them you want the lowest payment possible, but don't give them a price. Better yet, get pre approved before you walk into a dealership to buy.

And tire warranties are not worth the price. I've had dealerships tell me they will reduce the financing by 1/2 percent if I buy a tire warranty. Look at the price of the tire warranty. Most likely it is higher than the percentage of financing you think you will save by their offer.
The car buying experience is exciting and a thrill to most all of us. After we buy, we are almost always excited to get into the new car and drive off, so we don't think when the sales person or finance offecer starts asking us to buy all the add on warranties.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawk1313 View Post
Did anyone else get the Tire / Wheel warranty? $400 for 5year/60,000 road hazard protection. Apparently covers my tire if they get a hole or blow from a road hazard. He said potholes, nails, etc. Will also cover my wheels ( performance package ), if they those get damaged as well. Only stipulation to that being, they have to be damaged to the point where the tire will no longer hold air due to the wheel damage. So no scuffs, rash, etc. This is the only warranty the salesman brought up to me, saying its the only one he really thinks is worth it. For $400, sounded like a decent deal to me.
I just bought a set of 4 Michelin pilot sport tires for my Mustang from tire kingdom. The road hazard price for each tire was $45.00. Thats a total of $180.00 for the same coverage you paid $400.00 for! And the "replacement coverage" is pro-rated, meaning they will charge you for tread wear; the closer the tire is to being worn out, the more you pay for the pro rated cost. So in 3 years for the average driver, the tires are worn out. You just paid $400.00 more for your tires! For that warranty to be worth it, the tires (all 4 in my opinion) would have to blow and be replaced within the first year in order to get my moneys worth on that protection charge.
Ask yourself how many tires you have had to replace due to failure in your driving history (not including tread wear)? Is $400.00 worth it? If it happened to only one or two tires, then the cost of replacing one or two tires is far less then $400.00, and that does not include the pro rated tire wear they will charge you for when replacing the tire.

And since the rims are not covered for any road rash type incidents, I think this is not worth it. Lets assume you hit a pot hole and damage the rim. First, you contact the DOT in your area and file a claim against the city. You will be reimbursed for the cost of rim repair or replacement by the city. Yes, your city is responsible for street maintenance, as your state and federal taxes you pay cover street maintenance. Most folks don't realize that you can place a claim to the city and be reimbursed. They too have insurance!
Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Great advice so far. I should probably add that the car was already purchased and I got a great price! Very very close to invoice. I also have gap insurance (or as they call it here "new vehicle replacement cost") via my insurance company (not through my dealer). So I'm good there.

Warranties and maintenance are kind of where I'm up in the air. I live downtown in a large city... Which means condo with no garage to do any of my own work. I have a great manual wash near my place where I will go and detail/clean/clay/wax the exterior myself, and another detailing place that I will go to for full details on occasion.

So rustproofing and undercarriage are not worth it then? I should say they salt the roads something fierce in winter here. But I would be diligent in cleaning it.

Lem
Lemonart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonart View Post
I'm taking delivery in about a week!

It's my first time buying a brand new car and, of course, the dealer gave me a ton of info about add-ons (warranty, rustproofing, etc).

With regards to the 2013-14 mustang..... What's BS and what's worth actually taking a look at when it comes to the extras?

If it helps: V6 premium, MCoA, nav, backup cam, 3.31 ratio, manual

Lem
what everyone is saying is right depending what you put down on you car i would get the gap insurance. this is my first new car also but i have bought 3 used already and before my mustang i had a challenger it had 9k miles on it so i thought let me get someone the added packages i got wheel and tire protection for 600 dollars it was a waste of money. they fix flats and if you crack a rim they replace it but here its 20 dollars to repair a flat and i feel if you drive like and ******* and crack your rim you deserve it. and for the other stuff just tack care of your car clean wax and make sure you avoid pot holes and youll be ok and save thousands
Rahbarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I just bought a set of 4 Michelin pilot sport tires for my Mustang from tire kingdom. The road hazard price for each tire was $45.00. Thats a total of $180.00 for the same coverage you paid $400.00 for! And the "replacement coverage" is pro-rated, meaning they will charge you for tread wear; the closer the tire is to being worn out, the more you pay for the pro rated cost. So in 3 years for the average driver, the tires are worn out. You just paid $400.00 more for your tires! For that warranty to be worth it, the tires (all 4 in my opinion) would have to blow and be replaced within the first year in order to get my moneys worth on that protection charge.
Ask yourself how many tires you have had to replace due to failure in your driving history (not including tread wear)? Is $400.00 worth it? If it happened to only one or two tires, then the cost of replacing one or two tires is far less then $400.00, and that does not include the pro rated tire wear they will charge you for when replacing the tire.

And since the rims are not covered for any road rash type incidents, I think this is not worth it. Lets assume you hit a pot hole and damage the rim. First, you contact the DOT in your area and file a claim against the city. You will be reimbursed for the cost of rim repair or replacement by the city. Yes, your city is responsible for street maintenance, as your state and federal taxes you pay cover street maintenance. Most folks don't realize that you can place a claim to the city and be reimbursed. They too have insurance!
Thank you for the thoughtful and informative response. When you lay it out like that, maybe I should've passed on it. Looking at the value breakdown and the chances of me using it being slim, it's $400 I could've saved. Although, it only raised my monthly around $6 and maybe I'll be that 1 in 100 who actually gets their monies worth with it. I was also unaware of the pro-ration, which is very good to know as well as the city covering any damages to my wheels. That's great info. Thanks again!
Dhawk1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
As a former car salesman and a current buyers consultant the one Add on you should buy when purchasing a car is GAP without question. Sure the odds may say it is unlikely you will need it. What if you are one of the unlucky few? Would you really want to make a couple thousand of dollars worth of payments on something you no longer have. Not to mention at that point you are also going to need to pony up money for another down payment. Be safe fellow purchasers, Cover yourselves.
Outside of that, price varies greatly and is subject to a host of variables. If you want the best deal you need to be well informed and understand the reason for all the little tricks dealerships play on customers as well as how to spot them. Know the cost of the car and be reasonable on price your willing to pay, After all the dealership needs to make money to stay open. If you still have questions, find yourself a buyers consultant. It will cost you about a tenth of what you will save.
Good luck and happy driving!
lllTRADEMARKlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonart View Post
Great advice so far. I should probably add that the car was already purchased and I got a great price! Very very close to invoice. I also have gap insurance (or as they call it here "new vehicle replacement cost") via my insurance company (not through my dealer). So I'm good there.

Warranties and maintenance are kind of where I'm up in the air. I live downtown in a large city... Which means condo with no garage to do any of my own work. I have a great manual wash near my place where I will go and detail/clean/clay/wax the exterior myself, and another detailing place that I will go to for full details on occasion.

So rustproofing and undercarriage are not worth it then? I should say they salt the roads something fierce in winter here. But I would be diligent in cleaning it.

Lem
If you plan to keep the car past 6yrs, rust proofing is a good idea living in the snow belt. As soon as the factory corrosion warranty expires, you'll start to see the tell tale signs of blistering paint. I have two trucks to prove it and they were always washed once a week.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang