warning about roush hood scoop install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
warning about roush hood scoop install

Hey guys, thanks for the nice welcome to the forum. As you know,
I installed the Roush hood scoop for 2013 Mustangs on my car. I absolutely love
it but it has one design flaw everyone should be aware of. After laying out the template and drilling nine holes in my hood, I set the scoop down and it fit perfectly
and I thought I was home free with no problems.....All I had to do was install the
nuts on the underside of the hood on the protruding studs and reinstall the hood pad. It's always the last step that bites you on the ***! I started installing the nuts and they were locking nuts, not regular nuts.....I thought this was overkill and briefly considered tossing them for some nuts out of my Dorman drawer, but went ahead and started installing them. The provided nuts were defective and would go almost all the way down and then jam and wouldn't move either direction. As a result, a couple
of my studs aren't really doing anything. I tried to remove one of the stuck nuts to install a regular nut and the stud broke free from the plastic scoop and just spins.
Fortunately the broken loose stud is not one of the critical outside corner studs
that absolutely have to be holding something. If you buy the Roush scoop, toss
the provided nuts in the trash and use regular nuts to hold it on.
GRREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
That's sucks..... It does sound like an overkill with locking nuts (defective)

I would say use regular nuts and blue loctite?
Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Thanks for the tip, I am planning to add the roush hood scoop to mine soon. If you don't mind me asking how did you go about drilling the holes. What type of bit and any other advice you may have. I am a little apprehensive about drilling holes in my hood.

Thanks
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge450 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I am planning to add the roush hood scoop to mine soon. If you don't mind me asking how did you go about drilling the holes. What type of bit and any other advice you may have. I am a little apprehensive about drilling holes in my hood.
There is really nothing to worry about on the drilling.....they send you a
template that lays out over most of the hood, you just tape the template to the hood
and use a small drill for a pilot hole on each hole, then go to a little larger bit and so on till you have the holes the right size. On the underside of the hood for access
to install the nuts you will need to drill a couple of holes with a hole saw, I don't
recall the size, but the instructions will tell you. I bought the hole saw at home depot.
The hood of the car is made from aluminum so it drills very easily. There is one
part of the instructions that is incorrect in regards to the v-6 hood. They tell you that
you have to remove the rear rubber seal where the hood meets the cowl in order
to drill some holes from the underside for the nuts......this is not necessary on
the v-6 hood. All you have to remove for the install is the underhood insulation
pad. The scoop is also held on by double sided tape. That combines with the
9 studs and bolts and I guarantee you that it won't come loose......it is on there
for the duration!
Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Ok good deal, thanks a lot. I am more than likely going to add the spoiler and the hood scoop at the same time. I got a local shop that I asked to paint them for me. Was going to let them install them to, but if it's pretty straight forward I don't mind doing it.

Thanks again
sarge450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have looked at the Roush scoop as well, however all the ones I have seen just use the 3M tape

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post
I have looked at the Roush scoop as well, however all the ones I have seen just use the 3M tape
The one I installed on my F150 had the 3M tape, but also had 4 threaded studs and nuts at the corners. I would not trust just the tape to hold down the scoop; would hate to see this thing come flying back against the windshield.....
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The one I installed on my F150 had the 3M tape, but also had 4 threaded studs and nuts at the corners. I would not trust just the tape to hold down the scoop; would hate to see this thing come flying back against the windshield.....
Good to know.

I just dont know if I would dare drilling holes in my hood.
With my luck it would somehow make the entire hood just break apart as if it was made out of sand.

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Old 06-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post
Good to know.

I just dont know if I would dare drilling holes in my hood.
With my luck it would somehow make the entire hood just break apart as if it was made out of sand.
You're right, it is a large "leap of faith" to drill into the shiny paint of your vehicle!

I went through this a month ago when installing the GT500 hood pins. That was a larger leap of faith for me, as the alignment was a bit more tricky.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're right, it is a large "leap of faith" to drill into the shiny paint of your vehicle!

I went through this a month ago when installing the GT500 hood pins. That was a larger leap of faith for me, as the alignment was a bit more tricky.
What did you use to drill the holes? (I know, I know, "a drill", but you know what I mean)
Did you do anything 'special' to avoid cracks around the hole?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

All you do is lay out the template, center punch each hole on the template with
a hammer and center punch so the drill won't "walk on you" and drill the first pilot holes with a small drill bit, then move up a few drill sizes at a time till they are the size of the holes on the template The skin of the hood is made of aluminum, so it drills like going through butter.
It's an easy job, just time consuming. Just make sure to use regular nuts on the install, not the provided lock nuts, also
the instructions were written for a v-8 mustang hood so you need to disregard the part
of the instructions near the beginning where they tell you to remove the cowl to hood weatherstrip. That is not necessary on a v-6 hood. You will need to drill a couple
of access holes on the underside of the hood for the stud nuts, the instructions tell
you what size hole saw is needed. I got my hole saw at home depot. I did all the mods on my car myself and the hardest thing to install by far was the roush front spoiler.....the instructions on that were very hard to understand and the mods you
have to make to the existing plastic parts under the bumper are confusing to
understand and time consuming to accomplish if you haven't done it before. It took
me longer to do that than to install the hood scoop. It would be hell to install the roush front spoiler if you didn't have a lift. I had one since I'm in the car repair business.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
If u put tape down where u r about to drill or use a pinch, that'll help out some.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No tape is needed except for taping the template to the hood. You are drilling through
the paper template......the template protects the paint.....honestly the drilling of the holes
is the easiest part of the install.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I always tape the surface that I'm about to drill; it keeps the paint from flaking around the hole while the drill is doing it's thing. The hood pin kit I bought and installed did not have a template (not required anyhow).

As to drilling the hole for the hood pins, the hood area where the pin goes through is three layers of metal (there's an inner layer. Also, remember to drill on an angle. With the hood open to drill from the underside (a piece of tape was used here as well for the pin to mark the drill spot when I closed the hood onto the pins slightly to make a mark), you will want to drill from the underneath, parallel to the pin going through the hood.
Because of the "inner" piece of metal, several size drill bits are required as already mentioned. When the drilling and fitting is done, touch up around the drilled edges with some touch up paint. Even though the upper hood will have an outer ring mounted (4 more small drill holes for them), it would be best to paint the edges.

And do not tighten the 4 screws that hold down these top hood fittings, or it will make the hood "indent/buckle" around them.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I always tape the surface that I'm about to drill; it keeps the paint from flaking around the hole while the drill is doing it's thing. The hood pin kit I bought and installed did not have a template (not required anyhow).

As to drilling the hole for the hood pins, the hood area where the pin goes through is three layers of metal (there's an inner layer. Also, remember to drill on an angle. With the hood open to drill from the underside (a piece of tape was used here as well for the pin to mark the drill spot when I closed the hood onto the pins slightly to make a mark), you will want to drill from the underneath, parallel to the pin going through the hood.
Because of the "inner" piece of metal, several size drill bits are required as already mentioned. When the drilling and fitting is done, touch up around the drilled edges with some touch up paint. Even though the upper hood will have an outer ring mounted (4 more small drill holes for them), it would be best to paint the edges.

And do not tighten the 4 screws that hold down these top hood fittings, or it will make the hood "indent/buckle" around them.
You only drilled from under the hood up and not on top down?

I am assuming you needed to drill at an angle for the hood pins and wouldn't need to for the scoop, right?

How powerful of a drill was needed?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang